mtbr member

4 days in AZ. Which area to concentrate on?

I have been doing research for an upcoming bike trip with my brother to Az mid-may. From the trail descriptions it seems like Flagstaff is the best place to concentrate on with maybe a day trip or two to Sedona and / or Prescott. If you had 4 days how would you break it up? We are trying to decide if we should camp in Flagstaff the whole time or if there is equally good places to ride/camp in Sedona and Prescott.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    I have been doing research for an upcoming bike trip with my brother to Az mid-may. From the trail descriptions it seems like Flagstaff is the best place to concentrate on with maybe a day trip or two to Sedona and / or Prescott. If you had 4 days how would you break it up? We are trying to decide if we should camp in Flagstaff the whole time or if there is equally good places to ride/camp in Sedona and Prescott.

Thanks!
    Two days in Phx: South Mountain and McDowell Mountain epics
    One day in Sedona
    One day in Flag
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

pedaller
    What? No mention of Trail 100? I'm disappointed skinny-t. It's good to see you speak the truth once in a while though.

Skinny's list is pretty good. There are a lot of variables to consider, where you're coming from, what kind of terrain you like to ride, what time of day you like to ride, the heat, how much driving do you want to do, etc. etc., but a "Best of AZ" list would have to include:

SoMo(Phx), Sedona/Oak Creek, Mt Elden(Flag), Prescott, Tucson, McDowells(Fountain Hills), BCT, Goat Camp...

4 days is not enough!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    What? No mention of Trail 100? I'm disappointed skinny-t. It's good to see you speak the truth once in a while though.

Skinny's list is pretty good. There are a lot of variables to consider, where you're coming from, what kind of terrain you like to ride, what time of day you like to ride, the heat, how much driving do you want to do, etc. etc., but a "Best of AZ" list would have to include:

SoMo(Phx), Sedona/Oak Creek, Mt Elden(Flag), Prescott, Tucson, McDowells(Fountain Hills), BCT, Goat Camp...

4 days is not enough!
    You mean people take my "T100 > South Mountain" comments seriously?

If I had one day to choose to ride in AZ, it would be Elden, and it's not even close.

(BTW, of course I think S. Mountain is superior to T100, but no friggin way am I'm loading my bike on my car to battle the hikers and hoodlums, when I got hundreds of miles of trails in my backyard. That said, I would have no problems recommending it to visitors, but there is a lot more variety in the city.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

shred my gnar
    just split you time b/t flag and sedona, imo. phx has some world class trails but also has 4 million+ people, smog like a mutha and it will 100+ everyday in may (or damn close).

there are enough trails b/t flag and sedona to keep you busy for weeks. finding camping will be much easier on the coconino nf near flagstaff than in sedona. the forest is very limited in the sedona area as far as undeveloped camping goes, there are only certain areas that allow it and a few developed campgrounds if you enjoy that scene. around flagstaff you can basically camp anywhere on the national forest without problems, driving a very short distance from town will give you dozens of roads that allow camping. just different regulations b/c of the insanely high numbers of tourists that hit the areas around sedona have basically forced the forest service to limit the areas you can camp around there.

you can camp very near one of the main trailhead areas in flagstaff called schultz creek... that general area has a bit more regulation as far as camping goes but there are plenty of spots to be had... especially if you have a 4wd vehicle.

check the coconino national forest website, but we may have some fire restrictions in place by then (likely) and it will be mighty dusty!!! sedona will be hot by then as well, just start early when you ride down there. prescott has a ton of great trails as well if you want to drive about 1.5 hrs each way.

EDR
    I'd say split between Flag and Sedona. Camp at/near Mt. Elden in Flag.

Camping in Sedona = scrub brush, higher temps and hoards of Long Islanders looking for a vortex.

Camping in Flag = Tall cool pines, peaceful breeze coming over the mountians, and less tourists cramping your style.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Tucson, AZ
    For a mid-may trip, stay in Sedona, Flag and Prescott.