zul
    Will Guide for Beer

4 BIKE RACK (hitch) suggestions ...

4 bikes, 2 inch receiver. So many choices. Willing to spend up to $400.

Does anyone have experience with this rack:

Wheel Mount Bike Carrier - 4 Bike

It's listed at $139... Doesn't 'swing away' or 'tilt' for vehicle access.
    And I know, you get what you pay for in the bike rack world. But it seems like this could compete with most racks if it holds up??!!

Also, the foam hook is meant to attach to the bike frame ... rather than the wheel ...

Any advice appreciated ... THX!
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    No suggestions as to what to buy, but here's a little food for thought.
    I have a Yakima spare tire mount carrier with 2 arms that support my bike frames. I had to buy a Yakima 'top tube' for one of my bikes because it doesn't fit on the rack properly; the shock was resting on one of the arms, and the rear tire was much higher than the front. With the top tube I still have to strap the bike to the rack so it doesn't swing when I accelerate or brake.
    My other bike fits fine on the rack, and only swings a little, not enough for me to be concerned about.

Good luck, happy shopping!

parenting for gnarness
    no experience with this brand, but 2 concerns. It seems like its only attached to the bike via the hook. 2 attachments like yakima or thule seems better to me. Second problem is it doesnt look like it folds up such that it doesnt stick out behind your car. The fold it shows is nice for off-rack storage, but it'd still stick out from your car and might block the tailgate in a truck.

mtbr member
    this one will collapse away with a quick release.
    Amazon.com: Yakima DoubleDown 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

I have the 2 bike version and I love it. The quick release sway feature is what sold me on it .
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have two 1 swing 1 fixed (I think king pin ) that are from yakima. pm me if you'd like to pick one up for a deal as I got rid of my gas hog I'm looking at the roof ...

mtbr member
    I've been casually searching for the same thing. So far the Swagman (Amazon.com: Swagman XTC-4 Cross-Country 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver Hitch): Sports & Outdoors) meets my pricepoint and features needs but I'm lacking any first-hand experience with it.
    Cheers,
    M

How much further ???
    Get a 1UP and be done with it. Sure its more $$$ but well worth it in my opinion.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

EDR
    I had a Yakima hitch rack. My advice....be sure to get one that moves out of the way with the bikes still on the rack. PITA otherwise. Mine could tilt down towards the ground which was fine for accessing the rear if no bikes were on it...and for the most part that was ok, but if needing access with bikes on the rack..i had no chance.

mtbr member
    I had this one. It was dirt cheap and worked like a charm. It was pretty quick and easy to get into the back of the truck too. I really liked that no part of the frame contacted the rack.
    Reese Carry Power SportWing Hitch Mount Bike Carrier, 4-Bike Trunk Rack, Reese Carry Power Bike Rack, Hitch Mounted Bike Rack
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

aGo
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post

And I know, you get what you pay for in the bike rack world. But it seems like this could compete with most racks if it holds up??!!
    You might want to check the reviews on amazon, doesn't sound to promising.

parenting for gnarness
    based soley on design I would get a 1Up , but its pricey. They are a great company, stood behind my trainer when the sheet metal on it had an issue. Yakima is pricey, but they too have been good to me - one of my trays cracked due to sun exposure and they sent me a whole new unit (like $200 value).

also, mini hijack, but could you post pics of some of those awesome steeps above HiLine? Was having too much fun to take any pics that day - thanks again for the tour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    I've been casually searching for the same thing. So far the Swagman (Amazon.com: Swagman XTC-4 Cross-Country 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver Hitch): Sports & Outdoors) meets my pricepoint and features needs but I'm lacking any first-hand experience with it.
    Cheers,
    M
    I have a two bike and a four bike swagman rack. Love it. very quick to use, bikes are stable,and it's light.
    San Diego needs singletrack

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post

And I know, you get what you pay for in the bike rack world. But it seems like this could compete with most racks if it holds up??!! Also, the foam hook is meant to attach to the bike frame ... rather than the wheel ...
    I bought a similar rack off Amazon or Ebay and wound up returning it 'cause when I started to put it together I could see it likely wouldn't last long. It just didn't seem terribly solid. The knobs that adjust the wheel wells are a mutha fukka to get tight enough so they didn't move.

The Swagmans are pretty solid, especially the newer version which you linked to with the silver wheel wells. My BiL has an older version and likes it. I'm thinking about the same thing myself. Since most of my riding is solo or meeting people at trailheads I'll likely get a 1up for 95% of the use but I'd like to have something larger for outta town trips. The Swagman would be a good compromise on price when compared to a Yakima or Thule 2 bike + the 2 bike extension.

Mike

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    . or Thule 2 bike + the 2 bike extension.
    but this will last you a lifetime. Worth the money IMO.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    but this will last you a lifetime. Worth the money IMO.
    No doubt. But, you have to consider what "lifetime" consists of...

If I use it two or three times a year or if someone else uses it two or three times a month. My use is less stress than someone else's so a lifetime worth of abuse is substantially different in each situation.

If I had the money I would no doubt get the Thule or Yakima.

Go Speed Racer
    I had this dilema a few years back... I have a pickup truck and built one similar to this for around $30. Two years in and it still works like a charm!

Make your own Bike Rack

4 BIKE RACK (hitch) suggestions ...-252089_10200276781027473_1111758878_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would like to purchase a 4-bike swagman, if anyone has one.
    Michael
    old guy

Happy Trails

4 BIKE RACK (hitch) suggestions ...

It is more than $400, but 1Up is a very nice system. I have always had Thules, but am sold on 1Up now after three months of use. No plastic parts to crank in the sun.... Secure... Fast to install rack on truck, and even faster to install bikes on rack.

4 BIKE RACK (hitch) suggestions ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366780149.662154.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1UPUSA.com :: Home has by far the best hitch racks, IMO, but may be more than you're willing to spend. That said, I love mine almost as much as my bike. Very slick looking, easy to use, an absolutely fantastic rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I looked hard at the 1UP, but I found a great deal on a two bike Swagman on Craigslist, plus my buddy has a 4 bike Swagman. IMHO, there is no better hitch mounted rack on the market. Rock solid, easy to use, folds up pretty small; easy as pie to install and use. Some others may be as good, but NONE are any better.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_dude View Post
    I looked hard at the 1UP, but I found a great deal on a two bike Swagman on Craigslist, plus my buddy has a 4 bike Swagman. IMHO, there is no better hitch mounted rack on the market. Rock solid, easy to use, folds up pretty small; easy as pie to install and use. Some others may be as good, but NONE are any better.
    The Swagman is a good hitch for the price point so if you add the criteria "for the price" I will agree with you.

The Yakima Holdup is better.
    The Thule T2 is similar to the Holdup and better.
    The Kuat NV2 is an awesome rack.

I would not be surprised if the Thule Doubletrack and the Yakima Stickup are better.

Like I said earlier I'm thinking about getting one myself so Swagman is a good rack, ESPECIALLY for the price. Certainly not the best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    check out SWAGMAN; good quality, yet reas. price. I carry 4 big bikes; all types fit.
    TS

mtbr member
    Cheers,
    M
    I have this rack.

Amazon.com: Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

Swagman XC 2 bike rack. I believe there is a 4 bike version around. Anyway a little cheaper than a XTC versions and works fine. Very quick to load up the bike. In fact it takes me longer to put my helmet and gloves on than to put the bike on the rack. Center bar folds down for hatch access.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

How much further ???
    Does it tilt away with bikes on it so you can access your hatch if need be?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Does it tilt away with bikes on it so you can access your hatch if need be?
    No it does not, but it takes 10 seconds to pull a bike off the rack.

What you do is pull up on the sliver and black hooks and that releases the bike. Then you move the bike to ground and pull the pin on the vertical and turn it sideways. You then have hatch access.

It also folds nicely for storage like this.

Perfect? Maybe not, but I am very happy with mine. The only draw back is that you might need to mess around with loops where the tires go when you put a new bike on there. The wheel base can be longer or shorter and you may need to shift the bikes side to side get the main loop to hit the top tube in good spot. Once set however the bike take seconds to load and unload.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.