Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 306 is gnarbot

mtbr member

306 is gnarbot

After reading dgangi's thread about the backside trail on Shaw Butte, I decided to give it a go after work.

The sun was already starting to set by the time I got there, so instead of heading up the service road, I just started hiking up the trail itself. According to the posts, its Trail 306.

The trail is pretty gnarly, lots of loose shale rock and babyheads, along with numerous ledges and stair drops. The switchbacks are interesting too. Very loose and rocky.

I only got up just past where the switchbacks started before I turned around, simply because I didn't want to try to tackle that stuff in the dark. The trail is super loose and some of those drops are right in the switchbacks themselves. I only had to put a foot out and dab in two sections, but I almost washed out quite a few times. On one of the lower switchbacks, there is a sizable drop to a hard right turn with shale on top and bottom...even with a Monster T, it was tough.

I snapped two crappy cell phone pics, they don't really do the trail any justice. Its definitely fun and something challenging to try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, saw a few riders heading towards the 7th Ave/Dunlap entrance. If you saw me, I had my big blue and gold Karpiel on the back of a silver Hyundai.
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Looks alot like Corona De Loma, will definitely have to check it out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    even with a Monster T, it was tough
    Nothing is impossible with a Monster. Even climbing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    weak sauce you didn't ride up.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

AKA Sherrif Moe Gnarpiao
    Looks like a decent trail. I'll have to check it out.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks fun......how do I get there?

I'm "bad" different
    put these coordinates in google maps and you'll find your way ( 3335'23.07"N 112 5'12.97"W). I've included a picture of the trail and highlighted only the portion where you might eat sh!t. My interests include taking my bike for long walks on the trail...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Nothing is impossible with a Monster. Even climbing.
    Monster is an amazing fork...but the pre-'03 ones had the magic. I have the 14 lb boat anchor and its not quite as versatile...

The pictures I took really don't do the trail justice.
    That section is short, but the switchbacks are tight. The difficult part is actually the loose shale rock, the whole trail is one big pile. You're going through a switchback, dropping while trying to turn to the right all the while trying to not wash out or hang up your wheel. Its interesting.

Its fun and its close to me

Saucy Size Moderator
    Oh yeah! I mostly-walked that thing once. Stupid-steep, tight, steppy, and thankfully pretty short. My old Super-V was definitely not the bike for that ride. Very tough.

p.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Oh yeah! I mostly-walked that thing once. Stupid-steep, tight, steppy, and thankfully pretty short. My old Super-V was definitely not the bike for that ride. Very tough.

p.
    The shale is really the hardest part, you keep washing out everywhere. I did a lot of trackstanding to get lined up again.

It was fun, definitely going to do it again, but this time starting from the top of Shaw Butte.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    If you saw me, I had my big blue and gold Karpiel on the back of a silver Hyundai.
    Yes, his Thule T2 was acting as a wheelie bar for the Hyundai with the Karpiel mounted on it.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Where is Shaw Butte?
    Less Talk More Rock

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboyz
    Where is Shaw Butte?
    Right at the sort-of-not-heavily-used T100 trailhead on Central, south of Thunderbird.

p.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Right at the sort-of-not-heavily-used T100 trailhead on Central, south of Thunderbird.

p.
    its a lickity-split climb to the top, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboyz
    Where is Shaw Butte?
    If you park at the visitor center, it's a short ride west on T100 (which I would recommend to warm up). The climb up Shaw Butte is a *****.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    If you park at the visitor center, it's a short ride west on T100 (which I would recommend to warm up). The climb up Shaw Butte is a *****.
    I have yet to climb Shaw Butte, but I want to.

Hiking up that trail wasn't too bad really. I ran out of light, but I got pretty far. Its steep so you gain elevation quick.

parenting for gnarness
    its like 24th St. - about as long and as much effort, except its all ridable (just very very tiring).

wrecking crew
    You loved the climb, Jason...we ALL love the climb...so fun, so festive...
    ~~~

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY

Hiking up that trail wasn't too bad really. I ran out of light, but I got pretty far. Its steep so you gain elevation quick.

Let's do it when I get back.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Let's do it when I get back.

Fragile - must be Italian
    The shale is really the hardest part, you keep washing out everywhere. I did a lot of trackstanding to get lined up again.

It was fun, definitely going to do it again, but this time starting from the top of Shaw Butte.
    True 'dat. Not only is the trail steep with some steps, everything in the trail has a tendency to move around. Very unnerving...

Did you clean the entire trail? The switchbacks are definitely gnarly...but I thought they were at least "doable". I had to try a few of them multiple times before I finally figured out the line...and even then it was still hard (I think it was the last one or second to last one with the big drop halfway through the turn...pretty scary).

There are 2 sections below the switchbacks that I had to walk down...mainly because I didn't have any body armor on me and it looked like there was a high probability that I would eat sh!t. But even with body armor, I'm not so sure I could clean those 2 sections because the drops were so tall with some pretty sharp stuff below to land on.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    its like 24th St. - about as long and as much effort, except its all ridable (just very very tiring).

...and very demoralizing if you have to walk any section.

As Jason said...it's all rideable. Hell...some parts that are CRAZY steep are paved, and you have plenty of traction. So if you have to get off the bike and walk any part of the climb, it's purely because you aren't tough enough to keep pushing your pedals.

On technical climbs (such as Geronimo), there are certain parts where you get off and walk and can rationalize it -- "just couldn't make it up that step so I'll walk up to the next flat part and start again". But on the main Shaw Butte climb...there is no tech...therefore no rationalizing or excuses...just success or defeat.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    True 'dat. Not only is the trail steep with some steps, everything in the trail has a tendency to move around. Very unnerving...

Did you clean the entire trail? The switchbacks are definitely gnarly...but I thought they were at least "doable". I had to try a few of them multiple times before I finally figured out the line...and even then it was still hard (I think it was the last one or second to last one with the big drop halfway through the turn...pretty scary).

There are 2 sections below the switchbacks that I had to walk down...mainly because I didn't have any body armor on me and it looked like there was a high probability that I would eat sh!t. But even with body armor, I'm not so sure I could clean those 2 sections because the drops were so tall with some pretty sharp stuff below to land on.

I didn't "clean" the trail completely. I made all the switchbacks, but I had to put my foot out and dab on that one with the big drop halfway through. Still made it, just not clean. The lower section, I just let off the brakes and bombed right through it. It almost feels like you are riding on ball bearings, there is zero traction.

Keep in mind, I'm on a much bigger bike than you (see my profile pic) Props to you for hitting that on a trail bike! Sans armor no less. I was in a full face and knee/elbow pads. I also hiked UP the trail, not the road, so I had a chance to look at the lines before I road it. Coming into that without knowing would be scary!

mtbr member

As Doug says below, nothing about the climb in technical at all. The first part is kind of loose, so getting traction is hard. But once you clear that section, everything else is either very hardpacked, or asphalt. I considered attempting it on Monday, but didn't feel like riding there from my house (about 6 miles one way). Glad I didn't because I did some tame stuff, and my legs were still toast. But I'm going to promise myself that I'm going to attempt it on the Kona before end of the year.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast