Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

29er tire question

I just bought my first 29er. The stock tires are crap. I've spent the last two days researching tires online, and I'm more confused now than when I started looking. I am looking for something fairly specific, and I figured you guys would know which tire I should get. I ride south mountain almost exclusively. Havelina, Mormon, and national, are pretty much my bread-and-butter. Sometimes I head over to gold canyon or McDowell, but that is a rare occasion. I am looking for an ideal tire for South Mountain. I also am looking for something that I can run tubeless. Any suggestions?

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I love the Panaracer Rampage up front. Even with a decent beating, one can last 1200 miles. A strong rear tire I've has success with is the WTB Exiwolf, but I also really like the Geax Saguaro, but it wears just a bit quick. I've had all of them set up ghetto tubeless at some point. SoMo is my "Home" mountain so I put lots of miles on there.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Kathleen in AZ
    I asked a similar question not so long ago:

SoMo capable 29er tire?

I've since been running a Specialized Purgatory on the front... It seated up tubeless super easy on my Stans rims and feels good up there. No comment yet on longevity.

Go Speed Racer
    I recently installed the Geax Saguaro's setup ghetto tubeless and am running them around 22 psi (I weigh 140). Loving them so far. Supper grippy and great in the corners. I do see them wearing a little fast, but I got them on sale for around 30 bucks a piece so oh well.

Andrew
    Official AZ Tire Thread

I'm looking into the Tioga Psycho Genius or some Schwalbe Racing Ralph's for my next set.

What tires are you currently running that are 'crap'?
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    So what is a good "lightweight" tire that is also durable ? I find I can spin lighter tires easier than heavier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    So what is a good "lightweight" tire that is also durable ? I find I can spin lighter tires easier than heavier ones.
    Heh, most people find the same. The light and durable is the holy grail of tires. Not easy to find here, considering how the desert like to eat tires for lunch. I would definitely take durable over light and just work on fitness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride SoMo quite a bit and have been running the WTB Wolverine and really like them. Though it's a 26" and with tubes. I'm gonna be running the Geax Saguaro tubeless on my Superfly though, I hear good things. Hoping to have them before this weekends rides.
    13 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite
    06 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I noticed that many of you run a different tire in the back then in the front. What is the reasoning behind this? Do you want a bigger tire in front? I'm confused.

Evan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    just work on fitness.

what are you trying tell me here...

mtbr member
    I have a geax gato up front and the saguaro in the rear-tubeless. I ride mostly PMP which can be pretty chunky in places. I am happy so far, had them on about a month now.

what are you trying tell me here...
    Don't count grams, count muscle fibers! I just know that once weight gets into my head, everything feels twice as heavy. Don't lose the psychological game.

mtbr member
    Don't count grams, count muscle fibers! I just know that once weight gets into my head, everything feels twice as heavy. Don't lose the psychological game.
    good, then my big gut really isnt that big... let's eat

good, then my big gut really isnt that big... let's eat
    Well, riding a 29er compared to riding a 26er, it is already about 11% smaller, proportionally, anyway. It's the magic of the wagon wheel! mmmmm...this kool-aid is good!

Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I noticed that many of you run a different tire in the back then in the front. What is the reasoning behind this? Do you want a bigger tire in front? I'm confused.

Evan
    Bigger front so you get some corner bite, but smaller in the back for smooth, fast rolling. That's AM mixed with a little XC thinking anyway. I'm 2.3 in the front, but only 2.0 in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwo23 View Post
    I ride SoMo quite a bit and have been running the WTB Wolverine and really like them. Though it's a 26" and with tubes. I'm gonna be running the Geax Saguaro tubeless on my Superfly though, I hear good things. Hoping to have them before this weekends rides.
    I saw Saguaro's at REI for only $29. I know at Tempe Bike they're going for ~$50. Ouch.

My other ride is your mom

Evan
    Having a bigger tire up front helps cushion the blow when you ram stuff like curbs after midnight on a Kahlua run...or a sloppy run down Natty. Having a smaller tire in the back is nice since it's your drive tire and the less rotational weight on the drive tire means easier climbing....of course, if you don't earn your turns, then it don't matter what your tires weigh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Evan
    Actually the 29er rolls so well over obstacles, that you can run a 700x23c road tire and it'll be fine....

meow
    Meh on the Saguaro...I ran it on the rear for a year and liked it fine, then the sidewall got slashed. I'd been running an Exiwolf 2.3 on the front. I got a a deal on an unwanted Exiwolf and put that on the rear. It's a far better tire for most all conditions than the Saguaro...much grippier on climbs, holds great on fast corners and can run at lower pressure than the Saguaro without feeling like the spokes are gonna ping off the rim over every bump (I run tubeless).

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Meh on the Saguaro...I ran it on the rear for a year and liked it fine, then the sidewall got slashed. I'd been running an Exiwolf 2.3 on the front. I got a a deal on an unwanted Exiwolf and put that on the rear. It's a far better tire for most all conditions than the Saguaro...much grippier on climbs, holds great on fast corners and can run at lower pressure than the Saguaro without feeling like the spokes are gonna ping off the rim over every bump (I run tubeless).
    My experience too....on both the 26r and the 29r versions.....ok tread on the Saguaro, but a hard tread and not as grippy as the Exiwolf....plus the Exiwolf breaks over a wider sweet spot wheras I found the Saguaro held and then broke fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I like what I've read about the Exiwolf. If I put that on the front tire, what should I put on the back?

I've only ever ran an Exiwolf in the rear. I'd put one there too.

Meatbomb
    I run the Specialized Purgatory Control up front and Ground Control on the rear... They hook up nice, seat well tubless and appear to wear well.

mtbr member
    I don't really know. What I can say is that where you ride and how you ride will make a differnce. I ride 26" hardtail that is mostly and XC bike at 23lbs and have been trying to keep my 26" tires below 600grams each. I have no issues riding all over the state, but tend to avoid the really nasty chunk that some of the guys that ride 5" AM bikes ride. I tend to ride BCT alot and that trail has more flow on it and not that much chunk per mile. I have been running a set of Nobby Nics in 2.25 and been happy with them. Not the most durable tire, but fit in the weight requirements and have good grip. Overall a nice tire and one I can do XC racing on if I chose to, but probably a little to thin to use on the really nasty stuff ride after ride.

If I was interested in mosty riding over the garliest terrain I could for mile after mile I would not get this tire. I would get a more durable tire and deal with the weight penalty. I want lighter tire I can run for 20 miles miles and nice rapid pace and be ok to tackle the occasional nasty spot along the way. I also want to race up hills as fast I can push myself. Racing or not just as happy doing a fast run up a hill as I clearning nasty obstical.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I've only ever ran an Exiwolf in the rear. I'd put one there too.
    What are others opinion of the Weirwolf as a rear? I got a good deal on one from my LBS two weeks ago, and have two rides on it. I felt it suffered in the steep, loose stuff. But might have been a bit hard. Going to try lower PSI tonight.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast