mtbr member
    Jul 2010

29er SS on SoMo?

Just got into a Raleigh XXIX, because I was looking for a change. It's my first 29er and SS all at once, and I'm having a blast. Typically, I mess around in Papago (it's a quick 5 minute ride (bike ride) from my house), and haven't ventured out much past that. I started riding as a way to excercise, but I got hooked and this is my first serious mountain bike.

Alas, my question... is it worth it to bring the bike out to SoMo, or will I just get frustrated? My endurance is good, and I can climb well. It's a full rigid bike though, so I'm not looking for any big drop sections, or rock gardens. Any suggestions on some good spots for a guy to go burn a few hours up with some monster wheels?

Thanks guys!

Also, please recommend parking options, and/or major cross streets to park/trail entrances.

banned
    I have that bike too. I learned to ride South Mountain on it.

Do it, it is good for you. Your legs are going to hate you though...

Try some Desert Classic first as that is the tamest that it will get as far as chunk is concerned. If you want to really open that sucka up, go to the McDowell Comp Loops. Hawes is cool too on SS.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you're just looking to expand your riding options, I'd strongly suggest giving Hawes or the MMP comp loops a whirl for SS, particularly a rigid SS.

This is only my opinion, but nothing at SoMo would be enjoyable on a rigid bike.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    If you're just looking to expand your riding options, I'd strongly suggest giving Hawes or the MMP comp loops a whirl for SS, particularly a rigid SS.

This is only my opinion, but nothing at SoMo would be enjoyable on a rigid bike.
    Loosen up Blatant... literally, it will make the ride better

mtbr member
    I've been all over the south side of SoMo, especially west of the water tank and out Gila Trail, on a full rigid 26" SS, including Helipad/Goat Trail and lower de Loma. It's all doable, but enjoyable is a matter of opinion. I do it to shake things up, when I feel I've been too lazy, I like the challenge. When the novelty wears off, I'm back on the geared 29er or on something chunkier with the Firebird. To each his own, have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Loosen up Blatant... literally, it will make the ride better
    You told mikey and azdog to "loosen up" and look what happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    You told mikey and azdog to "loosen up" and look what happened...
    2 girls one cup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    2 girls one cup!
    Try that on your GoPro
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

"No Clue Crew"
    I love riding my 29er SS on Javelina and DC out at SoMo!!!!! Hope to climb Mormon on it soon as well............Drew

mtbr member
    If you want to give SoMo a try, don't let your bike hold you back.

My best friend rode to B.V. And back her first time at SoMO on a rigid 29er SS. I was so proud to see her exceeding all her expectations and having a great time!
    b

sprocket
    it is impossible to ride a 29r singlespeed off road anywhere in Arizona.

Lurky Lou
    Lemme fix that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    it is possible to ride a 29r rigid singlespeed off road anywhere in Arizona.
    Don't let rocks scare you. Stay loose, pick a line, and go for it. The slower you go, the more beat up you get.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    it is impossible to ride a 29r singlespeed off road anywhere in Arizona.
    You definitely wouldn't want to try it with camping gear strapped to it either.

sprocket
    you simply MUST HAVE a $4500+ all mountain bike to be able to ride anywhere.
    It is a fact.

mtbr member
    you simply MUST HAVE a $4500+ all mountain bike to be able to ride anywhere.
    It is a fact.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This man speaks the truth.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

oooh, shiny...
    BAH! For me there is no better bike that my rigid SS 29er for DC. As soon as it starts to cool off I'll be out there all the time. I've also done the Mormon National loop on it a few times. I did much better that I thought i would on the climbs. Just remember to tale a lot of breaks! Natty is a tad bumpy on the way back down though.

mtbr member
    Rigid on DC is fun. Possibly slower than you're used to, but you will enjoy it. Pick nice, clean lines and have a blast!

National / Mormon on a rigid is fun. Coming down is an education in decision making.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.