mtbr member
    Sep 2007

29er rear tire -- something that won't spin-out

My wife just started riding a 29er and she love the stability, but she doesn't maintain speed well on the downhills, so on the uphill’s she tends to spin out on the loose sand and gravel. She has a Geax Saguaro on the rear at 20psi and the grip honestly isn't bad because I'm running the same tire, but she's looking for better grip without running a tractor tire.
    Any suggestions, I was thinking maybe a Rampage or Nevegal any others to consider?
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Andrew
    I would check out the Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25. There's tubeless and tube versions available.

You could also try climbing in a different gear so you don't have a much torque spinning the wheel.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

Always in the wrong gear
    When I had my Geax Saguaro's I had the same problem. I ride an SS so this ^^^^^ wasn't an option, but moving my body weight back helped a lot.

mtbr member
    Does she stand or sit?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I'll be running a nevegal as of thursday. I'll let you know what I think, although it's a pretty popular choice.

I don't have a lot of sand or gravel here, but I ride lots of technical and root covered climbs.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    The Kenda Slant Six might be the answer. Also on climbs teach her to try to pull the handle bars straight back with each pedal stroke. NOT upwards like popping a wheelie Also moving forward on the saddle depending on the steepness of the climb. This move pivots the bike around the bottom bracket and drives the rear wheel into the ground thus finding traction.
    if she learns this she will Kiss you Hard!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Trail Prospector
    A Nevegal & Rampage are the epitome of a "tractor tire". IME Both have great grip, but are slow rolling to the point where she'll be dropping a gear from the Saguaro.--> Currently running one as a rear on my SS in the "speed" direction, and for me it has plenty of grip. Like another mentioned, body position, and momentum are key.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Kenda Nevegal (2.35 I think is the number) folding tire... Very good grip... kinda heavy though.

mtbr member
    I've been really impressed with my Saguaro. I've been running it in the Traction direction and it has good grip on the steep loose over hardpack hills in SoCal. YMMV

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's also really easy to spin out when you shift to the lowest gear, maybe check that out too. It was always an unwritten rule with 32middle 11-32 geared bikes that you never used the 32 rear when in the 22 front. Just too easy to spin out when climbing. Always "1" on the left shifter and "2" on the right. "1-1" was never used for any climb, no matter how steep, unless you had already bonked.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I would recommend having her attend a skills clinic. Sounds like she needs to learn/develop technique. There are normally women's specific riding clinics going on at various locations around the valley. They are typically free or really cheap and have really skilled instructors. My GF has attended a number of them, and she picked up a lot of good pointers.
    Check my pulse...

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    A Nevegal & Rampage are the epitome of a "tractor tire". IME Both have great grip, but are slow rolling to the point where she'll be dropping a gear from the Saguaro.--> Currently running one as a rear on my SS in the "speed" direction, and for me it has plenty of grip. Like another mentioned, body position, and momentum are key.
    ^^^^ It's so hard to really say one tire has better traction (less likely to spin out when applying torque) unless you do a real comparison and control the other variables. I ride SS and can make a bald tire stick, and a new tire (of the same type) spin all due to body position. Running a nevegal or rampage on back is definitely gonna be slow but if you ride a lot of chunk or rubble, it can be a good choice. I went through 3 saguaro's on the rear (each lasted 700 miles) and thought the traction was good.
    My tire of choice now is the Michelin Wild Racer 29....looks anemic with a low center tread, but has stiff casing, rolls fast, and is robust (for me) in rocks. I wore out 4 of the previous design of this tire and only sliced one (and stans sealed it). I've just worn out the first one of the new design and it's looking fairly tough too. If you're getting close to 200 lbs and ride the rough stuff, it's probably not the tire for you. Oh, and they're about $30 each on CRC and weight just under 700gms.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Also on climbs teach her to try to pull the handle bars straight back with each pedal stroke. NOT upwards like popping a wheelie
    +1 on this.

mtbr member
    As others have suggested form trumps tread. That being said I've been pleasantly impressed with an Ignitor EXO out back. Slightly more durable sidewalls than the Ardent 2.25s I had been running.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The bike is a redline D440 1x9 so the gearing is rather high at least for her and she's standing in the climbs. I ride the same tire setup on my SS (Ardent 2.4 front, Geax Saguaro rear) and like it a lot, but I attack the hills and she is much more passive about it.

Last year we came from back east and the trails were a lot smoother, so out here she had no confience on a 26er, so the 29er was a cheap pickup on CL to see if the bigger wheels would help. The steel 29er definitly has helped build her confidence and her skills are getting better.

This weekend I'm going to try an Ardent 2.4 on her rear wheel because I already have one. I'm thinking big volume, low pressure will help build confidence even if it's slow.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds