mtbr member

29er FS XC bike suggestions

I'm in the market for a new bike, on my third year of getting back into mtb'ing pretty hard core. In that time I have been riding a motobecane phantom pro sl. I have been riding and racing the crap out of this bike and it's great overall. I have upgraded to a custom wheel set and XT's hydro's which I would put on a new bike, I think I would sell the reba sl and turn the moot into a commuter. I guess I'm still open to either a ht or fs..... I have ridden and appreciate SS's be don't want that for main bike. I think a xc style fs is best if I want to have one mtb. I mostly ride in Flagstaff then Sedona and then events around AZ. Mostly XC. I'm drawn to a Lenz Leviathan but have never ridden one. If you have or had to have one type of mtb... What would it be?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I rode a Specialized Camber 29'er and really liked the feel of it, but maybe because I'm getting old and fat, but seriously I liked the upright feel to it. I'll be looking and riding others as well.

Ahhh the pain....
    Dont think you could go wrong w the Lenz....lots of great riders in the state ride them and have redifined the word "ridable" for a lot of terrain. Although spec makes a great bike, i think you can get more for your money w a kona hei hei or salsa spearfish. If you were going hardtail, i'm a big fan of ti bikes for the ride quality. I ride a lynskey and do some multiday rides on it w/o feeling beatup.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Go Lenz, Pivot or Turner.

mtbr member
    If you want a purely XC full suspension I would look at the Trek Superfly AL 100 range. Depending on your budget there are 3 models to fill your needs with Aluminum frames and 3 in carbon also.

They are very fast bikes and the suspension platform is very efficient.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check out the Specialized Epic.

mtbr member
    I've been lusting hard over the Tallboy LT. The Specialized Stump FSR is also a contender. With 130ish mm, they seem a little excessive for what I do now, but they'd be able to let me take on terrain I wouldn't now. Nobody has ever wished for less suspension travel, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Love my Epic Comp 29er. Really fast and feels like a hard trail after riding my Pivot 5.7 for 18 months.

Registered Bike Offender
    Specialized Epic. Best FS bike I have ever owned. Awesome for trail riding too.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Closekids.com
    All these are great bikes. I would get at least 120mm of travel for riding where you are.

I would put the RIP 9 on the list as well.

**** PLEASE NOTE: I hate forum bike comparisons. They can help you get/narrow your list, but you should pick the bike that makes YOU most happy from the bikes that meet your needs. And yes, the available color options can make you more/less happy.

Ride on bro.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    the single track

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    All these are great bikes. I would get at least 120mm of travel for riding where you are.

I would put the RIP 9 on the list as well.

**** PLEASE NOTE: I hate forum bike comparisons. They can help you get/narrow your list, but you should pick the bike that makes YOU most happy from the bikes that meet your needs. And yes, the available color options can make you more/less happy.

Ride on bro.
    Great post!

I should also add in my first reply, the Camber was my first choice for my budget, I'd give a kidney up for a Niner!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    +++++++1

It's the ONLY piece of equipment I've ever owned that actually made me better. Unlike those Ping golf clubs . They DO make a difference.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    While I love my Turner Sultan, I demoed a Specialized Camber Comp a couple months ago and must say that I was quite impressed, especially when you factor in the price.

mtbr member
    i second the RIP...although I ride a Niner Jet9 and love it for my riding style.
    Get out and Ride!!

I am the Tin Man!
    Sounds like you ride the same kind of terrain I do, I have plans to someday get a Tallboy. On a Fisher FS 29er now that is plenty of bike for my fitness level.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?