Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

24HITOP Results - Wouldda, Couldda, Shouldda

So how did all of you do this weekend?

My 5-person co-ed team, The Fockers, did surprisingly well considering I was the only person with any 24hr race experience...and even more surprising, could have done *much* better had we not faced a few disheartening mishaps.

Race day weather was very nice but WINDY. The temps were as good as you can ask for - mid 70's at race start and high 40's at night (which is very pleasant for that race track in Feb). But the wind...it blew almost all 24 hours...and it was not pleasant.

This was the first year that the event sold out, which made the LeMans running start all the more frenetic. I was the lucky one on the team to do it and what a mess -- appx 500 riders all running to get their bikes (last time I did this LeMans start, there were about 1/2 the riders!). I damn near fell down twice getting kicked by somebody else.

In any event, our first laps rolled off without a hitch: I had 1:05. Lori followed it up with a fabulous 1:20...then Rob @1:09...Jamie @1:25, and Eric @1:08.

We kept up a similar pace all the way through midnight. The ONLY mishap we had up until then was on my second lap (just before dark): on the 7th ***** I hit a kicker going uphill with way too much speed, landed hard on both wheels, totally compressed the suspension front and rear (which made this strange farting noise as it hit bottom), and blew out my rear baloon 2.4 Mutano tire (first time I have EVER done that). Sh!t. That cost me 11 minutes. BTW - in case you were wondering, it takes 375 pumps with a dinky hand pump to get 40psi into a Mutano 2.4 tire!

At 11:50 we started our 10th lap, which put us on a 20-lap pace...which would have been outstanding.

Things continued along well...until Lori crashed on her 2nd night lap. She crashed somewhere in the Corral Trail, about 1/2 way. The crash took out the light (ripped it off the bars and tore the cord from it too!) and caused a good amount of damage to her elbow and helmet. She had to walk the bike back to the campsite, which cost us 2hrs and a lap penalty. Rob, who was next, took Lori to the emergency tent and hung out with her for a little more, adding more time to our delay. At least Lori had no serious injury. She really was a trooper!

So on we went, posting times between 1:09 and 1:30. In the end we had 17 laps, which put us in 15th place (in a 7 or 8-way tie).

The bummer is that had Lori not crashed, we would have had 19 laps (one for the penalty and one more for the time we lost)...and maybe even squeezed in 20 laps given our pace. That would have put us in second or third place.

I am very proud of the team, especially the ladies. For their first time out they kicked some serious a$$, even on the night laps.

The #1 goal for the weekend was to have fun...and that goal was certainly met. The fact that we did as well that we did was icing on the cake.

BTW - we had the 5th wheel with the big skull-and-crossbones flag waving 20' in the air. I can't tell you how many people stopped to take a picture of it!

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, the run really took its toll on me (painful shin splints, pulled hammy, on top of a nasty papercut from filling out a misplaced waiver the night before), and I was never able to recover. I'm 100% confident that if I would have trained for the run, we would have won hands down. I'm very disappointed.

In all honestly, we got exactly what we had hoped for: a good time. We had zero illusions of finishing top 10 (or top 20 for that matter). Both our teams had a grand time, and we met our mission: do our best. (I was double stoked when my "3 a.m." lap turned into a sunrise lap due to a teammate's faulty light, and another teammate's OTB (get well Anton).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Smile and think light!
    This was my first solo 24 and I got 3rd to show for it. It was a blast, except I had a really hard time staying awake around 4am and my last two laps I had to keep physically pushing my fat gourd up with my hand because my neck muscles gave out! It was an awesome first 24 solo and well worth the drive from SoCal. It was good to see all the cirrus guys and the tucson crew again and run into a lot of the CA people out on the trail.

Another good race Todd and crew! Thanks also to the volunteers that gave me coke and a t-shirt in the middle of the night and kept cheering me on!

Occidental Tourist
    we done gone ta ride bikes and have fun. mission accomplished. headwind bad. tailwind good. gordan dnf'd us at 11:57 and i got in 3 fun laps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    we done gone ta ride bikes and have fun. mission accomplished. headwind bad. tailwind good. gordan dnf'd us at 11:57 and i got in 3 fun laps.
    I'm likin' the headlamp-headbob tracer in front of the tents.

igoslo
    Star and I did three laps each, I think starting out with doubles was a bad idea. At least we stayed out of DFL.

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

Four Monkey's And A Dream..

did well for our first ever 24hr. race. We each completed 4 laps and had time to spare so the last lap was extra-long on time to make it in just after 12 noon. Our 4 man open placed us around 50 in the ranks when i last checked, so we are proud of our results. We are looking forward to more of these races in the future. Epics puts on GREAT events, thank you very much to Todd and ALL the volunteers!!!

Good to hear your team did well Doug. Next time try not to park right next to the port-o-pottys!

Mike

mtbr member
    tease. WE WANT MORE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yabut"
    [QUOTE=dgangi]Things continued along well...until Lori crashed on her 2nd night lap. She crashed somewhere in the Corral Trail, about 1/2 way. The crash took out the light (ripped it off the bars and tore the cord from it too!) and caused a good amount of damage to her elbow and helmet. She had to walk the bike back to the campsite, which cost us 2hrs and a lap penalty. Rob, who was next, took Lori to the emergency tent and hung out with her for a little more, adding more time to our delay. At least Lori had no serious injury. She really was a trooper!

I volunteered for the weekend. I was up for almost 40 hours doing various things. Everything from working the timing tent, to handing out awards, to de-flagging the course. It was a good time, although tiring. I think I lived on sugar, caffeine, and beer all weekend. I was the time keeper when Lori came back from her crash. I hope she was OK. She was on the verge of tears when I saw her.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It was my first 24 hour and I had the best time, simply enjoying every second on the bike. My team got locked into an epic 24 hour battle with Team Loon-e for second place in 150-199 co-ed. It was literally down-to-the-wire - when my team mate Tim handed me the baton at 11:41 am on Sunday, we were just 10 seconds in front of Loon-e. However, I was feeling totally inspired and hit those trails so hard that I put in a (ahem) 58:07 last lap (my fastest of the event) and second place was ours.

Big thanks to Todd and the Epic Crew for a great event, to my awesome team mates Randy, Maria, Beau and Tim, to Scooby and the Team Fetish people and sponsors for all the organisation and looking after us, to my friend Rob for lending me his Light & Motion lights and to Loon-e for top competition.
    Last edited by boredwitless; 02-19-2007 at 04:30 PM.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I like the pic, how long was the exposure?

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    I was the time keeper when Lori came back from her crash. I hope she was OK. She was on the verge of tears when I saw her.
    She's OK now -- just a cut on the elbow and a few bruises on the leg. I think she was more shaken up than anything else. This was her first 24-hour event and first time riding so many hours at night. She's also from St Louis and has little experience riding in the desert, which can be really intimidating...especially when she walked her bike back in the dark with only a 1-AAA flashlight. Combine all of those factors with a crash and I'm amazed that she held it together as well as she did.

Lori's first night lap was 1:20, which totally kicked a$$. That was 25 minutes faster than we thought she would turn in! So we were very worried when the 2-hr mark came around and she was nowhere to be seen...

And kudos to you Aaron for volunteering. I volunteered at the last 24HOA that they held in Ftn Hills when I was nursing an injury...and I quickly disovered that volunteering is the next best thing to racing. Thanks again for your efforts!

Thx...Doug

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I like the pic, how long was the exposure?
    12 seconds i think. i was sitting on the rock face with a few other people fer that one.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

sprocket
    I had some in my camera .. ..

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    I had some in my camera .. ..
    and more

Occidental Tourist
    yea but ya didn't get the lady with the painted on jersey so what good are ya?

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    and more
    and then some more were found

igoslo
    Results are up on the EpicRides site. Star and I came in 53rd. Woohoo!

mtbr member
    good stuff

sprocket
    yea but ya didn't get the lady with the painted on jersey so what good are ya?

all I saw was the man with the painted on jersey.

A plethora of pinatas
    Awesome pics!

It was great seeing everyone down there. Great times! Here are a few pics we took...

Marty

igoslo
    A few pictures

Thanks to the a blown headgasket in my truck, my lady and I loaded up the car, completely

Star light, star bright

Coconino air

Star and I got matching shirts

My wife has a little crush on Todd

Run riders run

Ride Tyler ride(just for you Marty)

100 yards and I'm done

mtbr member
    Our team (Lite-Brite #529) did much better than we thought we would. Last year we did 16 laps and came in 39th. This year we got in 20 laps and finished 12th!!!! Not bad for a bunch of out-of-shape weekend riders.

mad aussie
    Well I am finally coherent enough to post. It was a great weekend, my first true 24 hour experience (crashed out on first lap 4 years ago) and the first 24 hour race for 4 out of our 5 co-ed team. We were lucky to have a some assistance who had done several team and solo events and really helped us to run things smoothly. Despite the lack of 24 hour experience Santan Racing managed to pull out a win in the co-ed 150-199 by a lap and a bit! Our lead out guy managed to tow Tinker around for most of the lap before Tinker dropped off on the Sisters climb and he came in first place with a 55 minute lap! We had 12 minutes on second after our first rotation and slowly gained time over the evening.

It was far harder and more grueling than I expected and I think everyone faces the inner demons with a no energy lap at some point. We were also fortunate to have no flats or mechanical failures and only one crash which only resulted in a bent derailleur hanger which was easily fixed back at camp.

For all you i-pod wearers out there, at least keep the volume low enough so you can hear someone coming up behind you and asking to pass. Our one crash occured when a lapped rider suddenly veered to the left just as my team mate was passing despite the fact that he was yelling "on your left".

Kevin

mtbr member
    Our lead out guy managed to tow Tinker around for most of the lap before Tinker dropped off on the Sisters climb and he came in first place with a 55 minute lap!
    cholla cactus rules!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast