Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971

    215 lumens, $59 light

    For your summer rides, this is the light for you.

    Check it out here for $59. You can put it on your commuter/MBT with 2 hose clamps.

    Did I mention it weighs 4 ounces? Just something to think about now that night riding is back in style.

    Couple it with an EOS Princeton Tec bike light for the perfect night riding setup, $45, 70 lumens for your helmet.

  2. #2
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563
    What kind of batteries does it run?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  3. #3
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,821
    There are better deals on Deal Extreme. TrustFire TR-801 5 mode light or single mode. good for 2 hours run time, the single mode. Buy a couple of Protected 18650 Li Ion batteries and a charger, and you have 4 hours of light.

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335




    I prefer the 5 mode, you can extend battery life with it when doing slow riding/climbs, and bump it up to high when your bike speed picks up on the downs. Great helmet lights, when in combination with a bar light.

    All kinds of choices here for bike lights. http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.905
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 05-18-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  4. #4
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    What kind of batteries does it run?
    2 AA batteries, which is great since you can switch them over the the GPS and vice versa.

    EOS-3AAA batteries

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    hose clamps
    Seeing or hearing 'hose clamp' always creeps me out.

  6. #6
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Seeing or hearing 'hose clamp' always creeps me out.
    Same thing when I see or hear the word "nipples."

  7. #7
    Losing Ground
    Reputation: Guipago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    213
    I saw these on Bright Guy when I got my PT EOS (for cheap!). They actually make a bike mount too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tamen00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    why not just buy a magicshine from thesingletrackstore.com for 89 bucks and run it on low...

    No hose clamps, way brighter than those flashlights, and bike specific.

  9. #9
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    why not just buy a magicshine from thesingletrackstore.com for 89 bucks and run it on low...

    No hose clamps, way brighter than those flashlights, and bike specific.
    More reliable for multi-day/endurance riding

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33
    Just checked out their website, looks like the singletrackstore.com is up for sale.
    How many Lumens do you really need for a night MTB ride, The Nite Riders go all the way up to 1200 Lumens for some serious $$$

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tamen00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    Good call on the reliability piece Chad! Also, it probably makes sense to have the ability to use AA batteries in the light so you can buy them along the way, or discarde the used ones during the endurance events.

    Check out the Dinotte AA series of lights. They take AA batteries, have different modes so you can get long runtimes, they are super reliable and bulletproof, and light... But a little more expensive than $59 (I think about $100). The light pattern will be substantially better than the flashlights and these lights work fantastic!

    If I was not so lazy I would just make you a couple of lights - super lightweight, reliable, about 400 lumes and would run off of AA batteries with up to 12 hour runtimes on low - but, I am lazy.... If I get motivated and make some more lights I will get one to you!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ggnarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    373
    I work outside at night, and have owned the cheapo DX lights, a fenix tk11r2 and the magicshine. My 90 dollar fenix has given me more problems than any of my other lights put together. The DX lights have given me zero problems (knock on wood).

    I can see the utility of a AA powered light, and they are readily available in all flavors for less than 20$ on DX.

    The only difference is that Fenix has U.S. distributors, which raises the price. They are still made in china.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jennytalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    There are better deals on Deal Extreme. TrustFire TR-801 5 mode light or single mode. good for 2 hours run time, the single mode. Buy a couple of Protected 18650 Li Ion batteries and a charger, and you have 4 hours of light.

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335




    I prefer the 5 mode, you can extend battery life with it when doing slow riding/climbs, and bump it up to high when your bike speed picks up on the downs. Great helmet lights, when in combination with a bar light.

    All kinds of choices here for bike lights. http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.905
    Why do you suppose the front of this light has a scalloped or serrated edge?
    i am a human derailleur

  14. #14
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563
    cc
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Good call on the reliability piece Chad! Also, it probably makes sense to have the ability to use AA batteries in the light so you can buy them along the way, or discarde the used ones during the endurance events.

    Check out the Dinotte AA series of lights. They take AA batteries, have different modes so you can get long runtimes, they are super reliable and bulletproof, and light... But a little more expensive than $59 (I think about $100). The light pattern will be substantially better than the flashlights and these lights work fantastic!

    If I was not so lazy I would just make you a couple of lights - super lightweight, reliable, about 400 lumes and would run off of AA batteries with up to 12 hour runtimes on low - but, I am lazy.... If I get motivated and make some more lights I will get one to you!
    I love my dinotte 200L - the downside is it requires Lithium or rechargeable AAs. I use it all the time for road rides and commuting. I've shied away from longer endurance mtb uses but with the proliferation of litihium AAs at most circele Ks, maybe it's time to use it more
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    231
    here's another flashlight 180 lumens for $9.99 with coupon# CREELIGHT25OFF and comes with 2 rechargeable battery and charger. here's the link



    edit: for some reason the link is not showing but link is from dealextreme.com
    Last edited by bRyAZSig228; 05-19-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

  16. #16
    Scott in Tucson
    Reputation: Krein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    For your summer rides, this is the light for you.

    Check it out here for $59. You can put it on your commuter/MBT with 2 hose clamps.

    Did I mention it weighs 4 ounces? Just something to think about now that night riding is back in style.
    Chad, Chad, Chad!! Details, details!

    The light you linked is not the one we use. It takes CR123A batteries, lithium only and expensive as heck unless you order bulk. This is NOT the light to get.

    You're looking for this-a one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Performa...4375371&sr=1-1

    I highly recommend it, and besides the ability to replace batts on the trail, I don't miss charging it or having to remember to charge before rides. Just take a spare set of full AA and you are good to go.

    Thumbs up on the EOS too. The two combined are a pretty solid night setup. As long as you aren't looking to totally rip in the dark.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

  17. #17
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyAZSig228
    here's another flashlight 180 lumens for $9.99 with coupon# CREELIGHT25OFF and comes with 2 rechargeable battery and charger. here's the link



    edit: for some reason the link is not showing but link is from dealextreme.com

    Take your https:// from the url in your browser and remove the "s" for "secure" for your personal account to Deal Extreme, and the link should show up, if you use the EDIT tab for your post.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    535
    I have two of the trustfire 801s. The single mode version works really well and mine have been perfectly reliable. HOWEVER...

    I also have a Uniquefire R5 single mode with the XPG LED. For $7 more (on Dealextreme.com) it is way better than the T801s. Rated at 330 Lumens. Two hour run time on a 2500 mah 18650 batteries.

    I'm old and seem to need more light too see than the 20 somethings so I would need three of them. 2 on the bars and one on my helmet. A young friend of mine thinks he can get by with 1.

    You could get two plus a charger and 4 batteries for $75.

    BTW... I've had bad luck with the multi mode lights from DealExtreme. The tend to auto cycle between modes on bumps.

  19. #19
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    Why do you suppose the front of this light has a scalloped or serrated edge?
    No idea. Crenulated front bezels seem to be a marketing rage for flashlightaholics? I don't know why they put SOS and blinker features on these lights either?
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  20. #20
    Need more cowbell
    Reputation: WhiskersOfDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    Why do you suppose the front of this light has a scalloped or serrated edge?

    It's a strike bezel. Surefire has them on all of their handhelds.

  21. #21
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,821
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    I have two of the trustfire 801s. The single mode version works really well and mine have been perfectly reliable. HOWEVER...

    I also have a Uniquefire R5 single mode with the XPG LED. For $7 more (on Dealextreme.com) it is way better than the T801s. Rated at 330 Lumens. Two hour run time on a 2500 mah 18650 batteries.

    I'm old and seem to need more light too see than the 20 somethings so I would need three of them. 2 on the bars and one on my helmet. A young friend of mine thinks he can get by with 1.

    You could get two plus a charger and 4 batteries for $75.

    BTW... I've had bad luck with the multi mode lights from DealExtreme. The tend to auto cycle between modes on bumps.

    buy lights from deal extreme with a spring on the tail cap and a spring mounted on the positive end of the printed circuit board, and you wont lose continuity.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  22. #22
    Tange your face
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    28
    Yeah. Come on Tom. Get off yer AZ and whip out some of those lights. Would like to have one for that June 5 benefit ride similar to the Haven's Sake ride. Maybe Zach will lend me his. Yeah right. Better get on it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •