Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    slower than you

2018 AZ Fire Restrictions UPDATES Thread

Tonto N.F: Arizona USFS at Stage II
    from 2018 Apr 18 8 a.m. until rescinded https://firerestrictions.us/az/az-usfs/

Target Shooting and Campfires Prohibited

Drought conditions, warm temperatures, and increasing fire danger have prompted the Tonto National Forest to implement fire restrictions on the Tonto National Forest beginning at 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, April 18, 2018. Fire-causing activities will be prohibited across the entire Tonto National Forest.

Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or charcoal-burning device is prohibited. Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or a developed recreation site. Operating a chainsaw or any other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine is prohibited between 9 am to 8 pm. The discharging of firearms, air rifles or gas guns, except when engaged in a legal hunt in accordance with state, federal or tribal laws and regulations is prohibited. The use of fireworks, explosives or a pyrotechnic device is always prohibited.

The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, and heating devices are allowed, if they are equipped with a switch or attached manual device that allows the fire to be extinguished immediately. Operating a motorized vehicle on Forest Service roads is allowed as long as you park in an area devoid of all vegetation.

Violation of these fire restrictions is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 and imprisonment for up to six months.
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 04-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

slower than you

Prescott N.F: Arizona USFS at Stage I

from 2018 Apr 20 8 a.m. until rescinded https://firerestrictions.us/az/az-usfs/

The Prescott National Forest is entering into Stage I Fire Restrictions on Friday, April 20th at 08:00 a.m. The following prohibitions will be in effect for all Prescott National Forest lands:

• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except in developed recreation sites with metal fire rings or cooking grills.
    • Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or in a developed recreation site in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
    • Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun; except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal laws and regulations.

As a reminder, the use of exploding targets; incendiary devices; and fireworks are always illegal on National Forests Lands.

Violation of these fire restrictions is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 and imprisonment for up to six months.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

My other ride is your mom
    Bout time....let's see if they do Coco...I would suggest the mod's bump this to the sticky up top since it's a very important PSA which impacts us all to include visitors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Vaping and hand throwing aren't listed; you spodes will live.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Vaping and hand throwing aren't listed; you spodes will live.
    U coming up?

dirt visionary
    I am certain they will also do a full closure on the Tonto before the end of June.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Bout time....let's see if they do Coco...I would suggest the mod's bump this to the sticky up top since it's a very important PSA which impacts us all to include visitors.

Ya cause when I want to look for forest closures the first place ima going to look is the az mtbr forum?

Name:  571.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  37.4 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    U coming up?
    Yes! Count me in for the Mrwhlr led group ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yes! Count me in for the Mrwhlr led group ride.
    Great! Ride begins with 144.5 miles of road.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    The ranger just came and told me the news at Thumb Butte in Prescott. Sucks but what can you do. He said 4th of July at the earliest.

mtbr member
    FS indicated today at the quarterly meeting of the regional trails coordination group that stage 1 restrictions are expected on the Coco April 27th.

edit to add: In coordination with partners like the U.S. Forest Service - Coconino National Forest, Coconino County will enact Stage 1 fire restrictions below the Mogollon Rim on Friday, April 20. Coconino
    Last edited by rockman; 04-19-2018 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    The ranger just came and told me the news at Thumb Butte in Prescott. Sucks but what can you do. He said 4th of July at the earliest.
    told you what ??

mtbr member
    Lets get a couple things cleared up.

Camp fire restrictions are pretty common in late spring/early summer. Stage 1 and Stage 2 etc. All they mean is you can't have an open fire when camping. I have camped many days with no fire. Not really a big deal relative to stopping use of the forests. Just need to have common sense and respect the forest.

When I get concerned is not camp fire restrictions, but when they close the forest to all traffic. That means no biking, hiking etc. That stinks for those that want to get out and ride. Now I do understand the reasons for doing so, but my fear is when this type of closure occurs. In the last 20 years I seem to remember only 1 case when the forest was closed entirely. Could have been more, but I remember for certain at least one. It does not happen every year. Fire restrictions tend to be very common and seem like they happen most years.

Now I am concerned that fire restructions are starting earlier this year than in years past. If so that means the forest are dryer than in the past and makes it more likely there will be a full closure. It becomes an issue of when the summer monsoon rains kick in. It likely we will not see any rain until July which is not good. There could be an islolated storm in the next month, but usually from May -June even up there is dry. I do remember Rain in Prescott for the whiskey for a few years so late April could see a good storm that really helps, but I won't bet on that this year. I will hope it happens as every bit of rain will help.

Out of my own self interest I hope the forest (Coconino) stays open to use through memorial day at least so I can do MBAA race in mid May and AES on Memorial day weekend.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Lets get a couple things cleared up.

Camp fire restrictions are pretty common in late spring/early summer. Stage 1 and Stage 2 etc. All they mean is you can't have an open fire when camping. I have camped many days with no fire. Not really a big deal relative to stopping use of the forests. Just need to have common sense and respect the forest.

When I get concerned is not camp fire restrictions, but when they close the forest to all traffic. That means no biking, hiking etc. That stinks for those that want to get out and ride. Now I do understand the reasons for doing so, but my fear is when this type of closure occurs. In the last 20 years I seem to remember only 1 case when the forest was closed entirely. Could have been more, but I remember for certain at least one. It does not happen every year. Fire restrictions tend to be very common and seem like they happen most years.

Now I am concerned that fire restructions are starting earlier this year than in years past. If so that means the forest are dryer than in the past and makes it more likely there will be a full closure. It becomes an issue of when the summer monsoon rains kick in. It likely we will not see any rain until July which is not good. There could be an islolated storm in the next month, but usually from May -June even up there is dry. I do remember Rain in Prescott for the whiskey for a few years so late April could see a good storm that really helps, but I won't bet on that this year. I will hope it happens as every bit of rain will help.

Out of my own self interest I hope the forest (Coconino) stays open to use through memorial day at least so I can do MBAA race in mid May and AES on Memorial day weekend.
    The decision isn't made solely by the USFS but also includes the Coc. County board of supervisors as well as city managers. My guess is a similar process operates on other national forests as well. It's no small deal to close the forest especially when the economies of surrounding communities are based on recreation.

So, it doesn't happen often. The last time was 2006 for ~ 2 weeks. They were 2 days away from closing it in 2010 and we all know what happened with the Schultz Fire. The longest was 2002 when the closure began in May and the forest didn't reopen until July 18. There were no human caused fires during the closure. Prior to that there were closures in 1996 and 1989.

Flag Brewing Company will probably still honor their offer of free beer for life to whomever turns in the reckless campers that started the Schultz Fire.
    Turn in Schultz fire suspects, get free beer for life - Wildfire Today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I am certain they will also do a full closure on the Tonto before the end of June.
    Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a local. We will be visiting Payson July 2nd - 6th & was hoping to get up on the rim. Would that area be included?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a local. We will be visiting Payson July 2nd - 6th & was hoping to get up on the rim. Would that area be included?

Yes you would be impacted. Some of rim is Tonto, Some is Coconino, some is apache-sitgreaves.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/tonto/home

You are going to have keep a close watch on what is going in what areas to know. Right now the areas around Payson are in Stage II restructions.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd576936.pdf
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

slower than you

Apache-Sitgreaves N.F USFS at Stage I

2018 Apr 23 midnight until rescinded

What is Prohibited:
    1. No building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal or wood stove, except in designated developed recreation sites.
    2. No smoking except in an enclosed vehicle or building.
    3. No welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
    4. No fireworks, explosives or tracer rounds are permitted on national forest lands at any time.

What is Allowed:
    Petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specification for safety, can be turned on/off and operated in areas that are barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
    Shooting firearms IS allowed. Just make sure to follow normal federal rules: No shooting within a ¼ mile of a campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, residence or building; No shooting across a road, trail or body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge; No shooting in a cave. With any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.

For more information visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/...d=fseprd538403 (please include this part at the end)

slower than you

City of Flagstaff, county, national forests set fire restrictions Friday (27 April)

Stage 1 campfire and smoking restrictions will go into effect Friday for all areas of the Coconino and Kaibab national forests except the North Rim. City of Flagstaff, county, national forests set fire restrictions Friday | Local | azdailysun.com

slower than you

Coconino N.F: Flagstaff District, Arizona USFS at Stage I

**This Order becomes official on April 27th 2018 at 08:00 A.M. and shall remain in effect until rescinded.**

PROHIBITIONS:

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except within a developed recreation site; 36 CFR § 261.52(a).

2 Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or a developed recreation site: 36 CFR § 261.52(d).

EXEMPTIONS:

1. Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
    2. Any Federal, State or Local Officer or member of an organized firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
    3. Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.

AREA DESCRIPTION:

This area affects National Forest System Lands within the exterior boundary of the Coconino National Forest.

mtbr member
    More Coconino County info.
    Blue Ridge ranger station has reported the Tinder fire, near Kinder Crossing, off Forest Road 95. 200 acres burned so far. East Clear Creak will be used as a fire line on the south side. A type 1 team will be in place tomorrow.

FS road 95 has been closed
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    More Coconino County info.
    Blue Ridge ranger station has reported the Tinder fire, near Kinder Crossing, off Forest Road 95. 200 acres burned so far. East Clear Creak will be used as a fire line on the south side. A type 1 team will be in place tomorrow.

FS road 95 has been closed
    six engines, four type I handcrews, two dozers, two water tenders, three air tankers, five helicopters, an air attack aircraft and a lead aircraft battling the wildfire. A type I Incident Management Team has been ordered to work this wildfire incident and are expected to be in the area tomorrow.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5763/42746/

Not hard to figure out where the USFS budget goes. Not trails that's for sure.

slower than you

Kaibab N.F: Tusayan and Williams Districts, Arizona USFS at Stage I

from 2018 Apr 26 midnight to 2018 Aug 01 midnight https://firerestrictions.us/az/az-usfs/
    **This Order becomes effective at 8:00 A.M. April 27, 2018, and will remain in effect until August 1, 2018 or until rescinded, whichever occurs first.**

PROHIBITIONS:
    1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except within a developed recreation site; 36 CFR § 261.52(a).
    2 Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or a developed recreation site; 36 CFR § 261.52(d).
    The developed sites are: Whitehorse Lake Campground, Dogtown Lake Campground, Kaibab Lake Campground,
    and Ten-X Campground.
    EXEMPTIONS:
    1. Using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
    2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of any organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
    3. Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.
    AREA DESCRIPTION:
    This area affects National Forest System lands within the exterior boundary of the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts of the Kaibab National Forest.
    PURPOSE:
    This Order is necessary to protect public health and safety due to the high fire danger.

slower than you

Tinder Fire – April 29, 2018 Evening Update

Acres: estimated 8,000 acres

Start Date: April 27, 2018
    Cause: Unknown, under investigation

Origin Location: 1.5 mi NE of Blue Ridge Reservoir
    Jurisdiction: Coconino National Forest

Fuels: Timber (grass and understory)

Resources: 500+ personnel including 7 hotshot crews, 3 initial attack crews, engines, dozers, helicopters, and overhead

Significant fire growth occurred today prompted evacuations as high winds drove fire into communities to the north and east today.

Structures were lost. No details are available at this time. The fire remains active in these areas and the priority now is providing for emergency responder and public safety. Coconino County will be assessing damages and providing updates as soon as they’re able to do so.

The Coconino County Sheriff's Office has ordered an evacuation for all Blue Ridge Tinder Fire affected communities north, east and west of Hwy 87. All residents and small animals are being evacuated to the Twin Arrows Casino - 22181 Resort Blvd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004. Large animals are being accepted at the Navajo County Fairgrounds in Holbrook. Visit https://www.facebook.com/CoconinoCounty for more details. Blue Ridge Area Residents are encouraged to call the County’s Call Center, 928-679-8393 with evacuation questions. You can sign up for Coconino County’s Emergency Alerts at EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT | Coconino.

Highway 87 closures are in effect in the fire area. Visit https://twitter.com/ArizonaDOT or call 511 for current status.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5763/

slower than you

Rattlesnake Fire daily Update 4-29-2018

Rattlesnake Fire Update, Sunday, April 29, 2018

Firefighters Hard Work Results In Increased Containment

Łťiish bitseghál kó bighą nagoďíi

Cause: Human caused-under investigation

Percent containment: 63%

Start date: Wednesday 4-11-2018

Size: 25,966 acres

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5740/42754/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Usually the summer monsoon has started by the time of your visit. IF that is the case everything will open. If not some trails will be open.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There's a chance for some moisture here in a couple of days, hopefully that comes through for us.

mtbr member
    Coconino County just declared a state of emergency. Coconino

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Coconino County just declared a state of emergency. Coconino
    Gov. Ducey concurs... https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news...oconino-county

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Mt lemmon is burning
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Rain would be a huge help.

My place is on dick hart ridge, about 5 miles from south end of Tinder fire.

Hopefully the winds stay out of the southwest.
    Last edited by azjonboy; 05-18-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Mt lemmon is burning
    Bug Fire. Late last night at 35 acres, 0% containment. No additional updates at this time.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5766/

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Stage II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-stage-ii.jpg  

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Stage II
    Stage II restrictions prohibit:

ALL campfires, even in designated developed campgrounds. Charcoal, coal or stove fires are also prohibited.

Smoking (except withing an enclosed vehicle or building).

Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, including target shooting, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations.

Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame.

Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System designated roads (vehicles must stay on open Forest Roads and cannot drive and/or park over any vegetation). Riding motorbikes or other off-road vehicles on trail systems like Kelly Canyon and Fort Valley is not allowed. However, motorbikes, OHVs, ATVs, etc. can still use the Cinder Hills OHV area.

Operating a chain saw powered by an internal combustion engine between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Chain saws must have an operational spark arresting device

slower than you

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Operating a chain saw powered by an internal combustion engine between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Chain saws must have an operational spark arresting device
    I'm confused why they restrict the usage only between 9 am and 8 pm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Good question. Maybe because generally the typical spring winds die down at night? Basically during work hours. Outside welding like say a fence repair is a big no no as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It has to do with Relative Humidity. As the temperature increases during the day, the Relative Humidity decreases. Fine fuels are more likely to burn when the RH is lower.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    It has to do with Relative Humidity. As the temperature increases during the day, the Relative Humidity decreases. Fine fuels are more likely to burn when the RH is lower.
    And also because, if arranged in just the right way, sparks from an unarrested chainsaw can produce potentially dangerous, transmogrifying vortices.

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-sparks.jpg

slower than you

Apache-Sitgreaves N.F at Stage II

from 2018 May 04 midnight until rescinded
    Stage II Restrictions Forest Order
    What is Prohibited:

Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove fire. Devices fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off are the exception. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.
    Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
    Using an explosive.
    Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations or in an agency designated shooting range.
    Possessing, discharging or using any type of firework or pyrotechnic device.
    Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame.
    Operating or using any internal combustion engines, this includes chainsaws. Generators are allowed as long as they have an approved spark arresting device and are used within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is completely cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
    Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
    What is Allowed:

Petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specification for safety, can be turned on/off and operated in areas that are barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device. You may use a generator as long as you have cleared flammable material at least 3 feet around it or it is enclosed in your vehicle (such as the rear portion of an RV or pickup).

slower than you

Coronado N.F at Stage II

from 2018 May 01 midnight until rescinded
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
    FOREST SERVICE
    CORONADO NATIONAL FOREST

STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS

Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b) the following acts are prohibited in the area described in this order and depicted on the attached map hereby incorporated into this order as Exhibit A, all within the Coronado National Forest, in the states of Arizona and New Mexico:

PROHIBITIONS:

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove fire, including within a developed recreation site, or improved site. 36 CFR 261.52(a)
    a. EXCEPTION: Use of a petroleum-fueled stove, lantern, or heating device is allowed as long as such device meet the fire underwriters specification for safety.
    2. Using an explosive. 36 CFR 261.52(b)
    3. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building. 36 CFR 261.52(d)
    4. Operating or using any equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, except motor vehicles. 36 CFR 261.52.(h)
    5. Welding of operating acetylene or other torch with open flame. 36 CFR 261.52(i)
    6. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or trial law, and regulations. 36 CFR 261.58(m)
    7. Possessing or operating motor vehicles off National Forest System roads, including but not limited to cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, and ATVs, except for when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway, and except for parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trailheads. 36 CFD 261.56

slower than you

Coconino N.F at Stage II

from 2018 May 03 midnight until rescinded
    AREA DESCRIPTION:

This area affects National Forest System lands within the exterior boundary of the Coconino National Forest.

PROHIBITIONS:

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove fire; 36 CFR §261.52(a).

2. Using an explosive; 36 CFR § 261.52(b).

3. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building; 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).

4. Operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(h).

5. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame; 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(i).

6. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun; except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations; 36 C.F.R § 261.58(m).

7. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway; and except for parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trailheads; 36 C.F.R. § 261.56.”

EXEMPTIONS:

Pursuant to 36 CFR § 261.50(e), the following are exempt from this order:

1. Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.

2. Any Federal, State or Local Officer or member of an organized firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.

3. The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety is allowed.

4. Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.

^^^seems mighty responsive considering they may very well have to place it back into effect in 2 weeks time...check out the temps next week....patio beers in FLG-town (Kansas City Sarsaparilla for Rockman and the Stranger). Let's hope this usher in a new era of agility for closures and re-openings.

mtbr member
    ^^^seems mighty responsive considering they may very well have to place it back into effect in 2 weeks time...check out the temps next week....patio beers in FLG-town (Kansas City Sarsaparilla for Rockman and the Stranger). Let's hope this usher in a new era of agility for closures and re-openings.
    Not sure what you mean, nothing has been rescinded. Stage 2 starting today and then "eventually?" closure. My guess is by Memorial Weekend. Interesting the city has 4 sets of fire restrictions. Fire Restriction Stages | City of Flagstaff Official Website

The county is the wild card and how much of Fort Tuthill they will keep open.

Always open to a Sarsaparilla and hanging with the Stranger. Maybe he will have some sage advice for my broken wing.

Wow...I totally misread that announcement. My bad....ignore my ignorant comment. Agree with your hunch. Broken wing? I saw you ride by the house a month ago and you looked like you were recovering fine from the TKR....

mtbr member
    Wow...I totally misread that announcement. My bad....ignore my ignorant comment. Agree with your hunch. Broken wing? I saw you ride by the house a month ago and you looked like you were recovering fine from the TKR....
    Unfortunately in my continuing quest to prove to the gnar bros in town that the old guy still has it (even after a knee replacement), my effort at a top 10 on Hot Shots went for naught as I drilled myself directly into the lithosphere. While I did not strike oil I did break my collarbone, 4 ribs, and fractured my glenoid and scapula bones. I am an unhappy camper atm. Sans fire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unfortunately in my continuing quest to prove to the gnar bros in town that the old guy still has it (even after a knee replacement), my effort at a top 10 on Hot Shots went for naught as I drilled myself directly into the lithosphere. While I did not strike oil I did break my collarbone, 4 ribs, and fractured my glenoid and scapula bones. I am an unhappy camper atm. Sans fire.
    Sh!t Rocky you've got to look after yourself. Heal up and come back stronger than ever.
    I'm a decade or so older than you and healing time is Way too long. I'm worried that if I'm off the bike for 6 mons I'll never get it back.
    Hope you heal soon, my heart felt condolences.

The .05 percent
    Do I qualify as an old guy in town yet?
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Do I qualify as an old guy in town yet?
    Your only as old as you feel.

Thanks HoJo. I'll be ready in time for the Flagstaff Enduro. I picked a good year for body repairs. Bad ski year and now imminent forest closure.

∆∆∆time to scuba dive?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any care to venture what the odds are the FS will close down the forrest before Memorial Day? Trying to make some plans

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Any care to venture what the odds are the FS will close down the forrest before Memorial Day? Trying to make some plans
    Almost a certainty, I'm hearing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzhenry View Post
    Almost a certainty, I'm hearing.
    The rumblings I'm hearing are Friday May 25th.

The .05 percent
    Guess I get to start painting the house earlier than I was originally thinking. Anyone gonna be up for slow beer cruiser laps round Cheshire?

mtbr member
    That stinks... Got AES an Ride May 26th.
    Joe

If it comes to that, I'd join you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So that’s means no entry at all to the forest? Hike or bike
    Last edited by fiveo; 05-16-2018 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Welp, so much for our National Trails Day Little Elden/ Heart trail project kick off. I guess we'll just go work on that fall line section on Sunset this weekend. Ugh.....

It's better than seeing it all burn down. We would definitely see some fires started on Memorial Day weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ^^Yup......too many Fvckwits out there.

mtbr member

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread

What areas/trails would get closed?
    Is there a map?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    What areas/trails would get closed?
    Is there a map?
    The entire forest will be closed to all users. If we are lucky, ft Tuthill stays open. County park.

slower than you
    The entire forest will be closed to all users. If we are lucky, ft Tuthill stays open. County park.
    Actually, this isn't necessarily so. During past closures, portions of the Coconino, mostly at lower elevations, have remained open or taken longer to receive the Stage III closure designation.

The .05 percent
    Actually, this isn't necessarily so. During past closures, portions of the Coconino, mostly at lower elevations, have remained open or taken longer to receive the Stage III closure designation.
    Ya, forgot about southern portions of Sedona. Too hot down there for me

slower than you
    Ya, forgot about southern portions of Sedona. Too hot down there for me
    Also, the Kaibab is commonly slower to close than the Coconino. There's a lot of fun to be had on trails on the Kaibab. Long, steep, sandy, rocky, water-barred poorly engineered but fun old-school trails that we too often neglect in favor of the myriad, popular, and better-built stuff near Sedona and Flagstaff.
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 05-17-2018 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Apparently it’s rumored Fossil Creek will stay open when they close the forest around the Mogollon Rim. Big $$ there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzhenry View Post
    Apparently it’s rumored Fossil Creek will stay open when they close the forest around the Mogollon Rim. Big $$ there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fossil Creek is why the FS doesn't have a recreation budget elsewhere. At least the Flagstaff Ranger District. But that's done. Anyhow, the Bill Williams watershed (so all the trails like Benham, etc) is closed so the riding in Williams is a bit limited.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Fossil Creek is a lot easier to manage with it's restricted access than the wide open spaces of most N.F,'s.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Expect a press release tomorrow with the announcement but "targeted" closures for the Coconino Nat. Forest begin next Wed, May 23.

you can still gravel grind and eat bath salts though....right? Surely they will let me live free and high on the FS roads officially recognized.....I love me some squirrel sashimi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Welp, so much for our National Trails Day Little Elden/ Heart trail project kick off. I guess we'll just go work on that fall line section on Sunset this weekend. Ugh.....

It's better than seeing it all burn down. We would definitely see some fires started on Memorial Day weekend.
    Ra why don’t you change your start date on Heart to this Saturday? You must have an email list for many of the people who are volunteering over National Trail Day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Ra why don’t you change your start date on Heart to this Saturday? You must have an email list for many of the people who are volunteering over National Trail Day?
    While it's mostly a formality since NEPA was a CE they did have to put it out for public comment. The comment period ends May 22.

Ridin' Dirty
    I just came across this...

May 17, 2018 - 9:21 pm
    With fire severity extraordinarily high and much of Arizona in extreme drought conditions, the Department of Forestry and Fire Management will close state lands in two counties to recreational use.

As of 12:01 am, Friday May 18th, Stage III, or full closures, will be implemented on state-owned and managed lands in both Apache and Navajo Counties.

All state-owned and managed lands in those counties are closed to all entry for recreational purposes, including hunting, camping, and off-road vehicle use. Target shooting and fireworks are never allowed on state lands at any time.

“The high fire danger and fire severity level is a major public safety concern and citizens and our first responders are our number one priority. These areas are under extreme to exceptional drought conditions, therefore to safeguard our communities and our Arizona residents, closing state-owned and managed lands is an appropriate course of action,” said State Forester Jeff Whitney.

Closures apply to the following state-owned and state-managed lands within the above-mentioned counties including:

• All State Trust lands outside incorporated municipalities.

• All Game and Fish Commission Wildlife areas and department properties outside incorporated municipalities will remain open, under Stage II Fire Restrictions.

• Arizona State Parks will remain open with fire restrictions in place. Please refer to - azstateparks.com/arizona-state-park-fire-restrictions-and-info - for park-specific fire restriction information.

• Full shutdown of all operations; except organizations on mineral soil involving road excavation, watering, grading, gravel surfacing, and rock crushing may continue with special permission. Contractor will provide fire guard for three hours after shutdown.

Exemptions include:

• Persons with a written fire entry and activity permit that specifically authorizes the permitted to be on the land.

This may include such persons as grazing-permit holders when entry is needed to gather, move, or otherwise manage their permitted livestock, special-use authorization holders when access is needed to maintain emergency or other communications operations, and others.

• Any federal, state, or local law enforcement officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting organization in the performance of an official duty.

• Resident owners and lessees of land within the closed area.

Any closure exemption must be approved by the State Forester.

These closures do not apply to private lands under ARS § 37-1303.

https://ein.az.gov/emergency-informa...che-and-navajo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bicycles aren't motorized
    C'mon monsoon rains!
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member

So Flag area trails will still be open next weekend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Isn’t that just State Lands. Doest apply to National Forests. Aren’t they supposed to close too?

mtbr member
    Isn’t that just State Lands. Doest apply to National Forests. Aren’t they supposed to close too?
    It would be best for them to let everyone know now so the crowds stay away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I agree. People are making plans for the holiday weekend. I assume they will need to start doing a media blast and PSAs

mtbr member
    I agree. People are making plans for the holiday weekend. I assume they will need to start doing a media blast and PSAs
    I dont write the rules but would make sense if they banned, camping, vehicles. It allowed day hikers, bikers and horses.

Does anyone have any inside info on the national forest plans?

mtbr member
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconi...d=FSEPRD580817

Coconino NF to close high-risk areas due to fire danger
    Release Date: May 18, 2018
    Contact(s): Flagstaff Ranger District: 928-526-0866, Mogollon Rim Ranger District: 928-477-2255, Red Rock Ranger District: 928-203-2900

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., May 18, 2018, For Immediate Release – Coconino National Forest will temporarily close six large areas to public access beginning Wednesday (May 23) at 8 a.m. due to fire danger and for public safety. Areas outside of the closures will remain in Stage 2 Fire Restrictions.
    Of these areas, four are located in the Flagstaff Ranger District, one in the Mogollon Rim Ranger District, and one in the Red Rock Ranger District.

Flagstaff Ranger District
    San Francisco Peaks/Mt. Elden area
    Kelly Canyon area
    Fay Canyon/Fisher Point area
    Mormon Mountain area

Mogollon Rim Ranger District
    Mogollon Rim area south of state Route 87

Red Rock Ranger District
    Fossil Creek area
    Well, there you have it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here's the update from Coconino National Forest.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD580817

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., May 18, 2018, For Immediate Release – Coconino National Forest will temporarily close six large areas to public access beginning Wednesday (May 23) at 8 a.m. due to fire danger and for public safety. Areas outside of the closures will remain in Stage 2 Fire Restrictions.
    Of these areas, four are located in the Flagstaff Ranger District, one in the Mogollon Rim Ranger District, and one in the Red Rock Ranger District.

Flagstaff Ranger District
    *San Francisco Peaks/Mt. Elden area
    *Kelly Canyon area
    *Fay Canyon/Fisher Point area
    *Mormon Mountain area

Mogollon Rim Ranger District
    *Mogollon Rim area south of state Route 87

Red Rock Ranger District
    *Fossil Creek area

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-ddgsimlw4aeqt-x.jpg

Edit: Ninja'd by dsrt taco

The .05 percent
    so reading this, I see that Ft Tuthill, Campbel mesa and southern portions of the Loop trail are to remain open?

mtbr member
    so reading this, I see that Ft Tuthill, Campbel mesa and southern portions of the Loop trail are to remain open?
    It looks like the southern part of the loop trail is included, hard to tell exactly from the PDF.

mtbr member

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread

Guessing Ft. Tuthill with the Rogers lake connection with be pretty busy now.

mtbr member
    . I know it’s for the best. But I am staying up there for a full week, and am quite disappointed.

Any suggestions on where to ride? I’m staying off mt Elden lookout rd. I assume FR in the area are closed to bikes.

It looks like 418 is open on that map. Could do AZT north of there? Any other suggestions? Given the circumstances FR that are open are ok (as long as there are not too many cars kicking up dust).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It looks like 418 is open on that map. Could do AZT north of there?
    FR418 is the boundary of the closure. I, too, was wondering if that means FR418 is closed or open?

You can go a bit farther north to Kendrick Park (FR514) and pick up the Arizona Trail there.

-db-

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just got back from a ride to Ft Tuthill tonight. On the way home, just east of where the loop trail crosses the power lines an overlander had camp set up with a “nice” camp fire just inside of the park☹️right next to the trail. He must have used the power line rd. Hate that I had to call the fire dpt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    . I know it’s for the best. But I am staying up there for a full week, and am quite disappointed.

Any suggestions on where to ride? I’m staying off mt Elden lookout rd. I assume FR in the area are closed to bikes.

It looks like 418 is open on that map. Could do AZT north of there? Any other suggestions? Given the circumstances FR that are open are ok (as long as there are not too many cars kicking up dust).
    If you get desparate try Sedona, we ride there all the time. It has some really nice trails.

Low speed, High Drag
    We were planning on staying at Yavapai Campground in Prescott, on June 2nd. The website says stage II restrictions are in place. Maybe I should cancel my reservations, and just do a day trip??

Everybody pray real hard for some damn rain!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDFATUGLY View Post
    Hate that I had to call the fire dpt.
    Don't hate that ...Good call.

Low speed, High Drag
    So, Stage III is a total closure, correct??

Stage II is still cool to MTB in, I take it?? I wanna ride at Los Burros over Memorial Day, and as of right now, that area is under Stage II restrictions. We could still ride, right??
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post

Stage II is still cool to MTB in, I take it?? I wanna ride at Los Burros over Memorial Day, and as of right now, that area is under Stage II restrictions. We could still ride, right??
    Yes, yes, and umm...Yes! No smoke breaks, though.
    Veni vidi velo!

The .05 percent
    If were not at stage 3 in 2 weeks I'll be surprised. Not getting any wetter or cooler out there...

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Yes, yes, and umm...Yes! No smoke breaks, though.
    No smoke breaks?? Forget it, I'm staying home!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post

Currently all state lands in Apache and Navajo counties are closed, but as far as I know that does not apply to USFS land which is what all the Los Burros area trails are on. I am looking to head up there for Memorial Day as well, so I am hoping that the forest remains open through the weekend.

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-32767434_2072111189745063_6088603204256268288_n.jpg

mtbr member
    40 acre human-caused fire in Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD581892

slower than you
    40 acre human-caused fire in Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD581892
    230ac this morning. 25% contained.

slower than you
    230ac this morning. 25% contained.
    Sycamore Fire is still at 230 acres today, but 40% contained as of this morning. Glad it's burning in the PJ, I guess.

Of additional interest to readers of this thread, the current assessment of the Energy Release Component by the Southwest Wildfire Coordination Center, indicating how much heat energy the woods are capable of making if incinerated. Red is max, grey is average, blue is where we're at as of today. Gotta love the dip the trendline takes around 01 July... but this June's gonna be a loooong month.

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-swa_az_station_g.png

https://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/predictiv...s/Areawide.htm

Meatbomb
    They need to lock down the state for a few months....

mtbr member
    I ended up doing 2 days in Sedona, 2 on the South Rim area and 2 on the North Rim area - could not believe how tinder dry everything was.

Good call by the FS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast