Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    40 acre human-caused fire in Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD581892
    Fun fact on this one: it was started by a solo hiker from Tempe that was well out of water and probably a day from death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    Why is that a fun fact?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzhenry View Post
    Fun fact on this one: it was started by a solo hiker from Tempe that was well out of water and probably a day from death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder if there was any thought to which side of the WASH the hiker set the fire?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread

Do you have an article link on the story of how it started? Obviously they are at fault, and should not have put himself in that situation, better preparation, backup maps/gps and should be fully punished. However, I am not sure what I would do if I thought (rightly or wrongly) that my only two choices were death or start a signal fire in a parched Forrest. Bad situation for a person to be in even if itís his own fault. I guess this is why we canít have nice things and we have forrest closures.
    Seems like a fairly remote place for an inexperienced hiker to be, curious of the exact circumstances

mtbr member
    Size 230 Acres
    Percent of Perimeter Contained 90%
    Estimated Containment Date
    Friday June 01st, 2018 approx. 08:00 PM

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Do you have an article link on the story of how it started? Obviously they are at fault, and should not have put himself in that situation, better preparation, backup maps/gps and should be fully punished. However, I am not sure what I would do if I thought (rightly or wrongly) that my only two choices were death or start a signal fire in a parched Forrest. Bad situation for a person to be in even if itís his own fault. I guess this is why we canít have nice things and we have forrest closures.
    Seems like a fairly remote place for an inexperienced hiker to be, curious of the exact circumstances
    It would be interesting if the hiker was lost? I have been to Taylor Cabin which is located near the wash in the picture. You could just walk down the wash to the Verde River. Seems like when your water is halfway used up you would head back to your starting point.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    It would be interesting if the hiker was lost? I have been to Taylor Cabin which is located near the wash in the picture. You could just walk down the wash to the Verde River. Seems like when your water is halfway used up you would head back to your starting point.
    One would think....

mtbr member
    In 2002 the Rodeo fire was started by a seasonal fire fighter with the BLM. The Chediski fire was started several days later by a lost hiker making a signal fire. Those fires eventually merged burning nearly 500,000 acres and costing tens of millions to contain. It's not hard to figure why the FS considers closing the forest. Imagine if you were the FS supervisor making that decision, or perhaps not making it, and someone dies because of your inaction.

The lost hiker was charged $57 million for her accidental arson. The BLM firefighter served a 10 year prison term.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    In 2002 the Rodeo fire was started by a seasonal fire fighter with the BLM. The Chediski fire was started several days later by a lost hiker making a signal fire. Those fires eventually merged burning nearly 500,000 acres and costing tens of millions to contain. It's not hard to figure why the FS considers closing the forest. Imagine if you were the FS supervisor making that decision, or perhaps not making it, and someone dies because of your inaction.

The lost hiker was charged $57 million for her accidental arson. The BLM firefighter served a 10 year prison term.
    I donít think INTENTIONAL ACTS are covered by a personal liabilty policy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

The lost hiker/runner started a signal fire which attracted a news helicopter. The helicopter landed nearby and the prop wash scattered the burning embers of the fire. Instant wildfire.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RodeoĖChediski_Fire

A truly bizarre event.

My other ride is your mom
    Meanwhile.....in truly bizarre happenstance, I quit my job 3 weeks ago or so with the idea that I would spend the summer riding singletrack and reacquiring my muse to self-start a book.....that was the day the forest closed......

Now I sit in a Courtyard Marriott in San Antonio drinking a Coors Light (because it's better than Alamo IPA).....thinking what my next move should be.....

Post-Script - Rode the AZT last weekend from Morman Mountain south with a Split-Monkey, Mr. VooDooShimano and an AngryTowny.....that did not help!

mtbr member
    Since this is by where I grew up and my job. Remember to shorten your safety chains so they donít drag if you are towing a trailer.

Brush fires close 2 highways south of Holbrook.http://azdailysun.com/news/local/art...86b99fba1.html

Meatbomb
    Texas... sorry.

mtbr member
    While Phoenix made out with a measly amount of rain out of this Hurricane Bud Light fiasco, I know that some of the higher elevations north and east of the valley received a decent amount of precipitation this weekend.

So far I have not seen any info about the prospect of any of the forest closures being lifted as a result.

How much will it take for at least some the forests to re-open?

mtbr member

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread

Not until the monsoons kick in. Second week of July???
    I think this is the chart they go by, we are still above 97%.

More info on chart here.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/predictiv...s/Areawide.htm

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post

How much will it take for at least some the forests to re-open?
    Prolly quite a bit, and there's really nothing in the pipe for some time to come. Long-long term modeling hints at the 04 July timeframe for the next possible precip (and what could be the onset of a monsoonal pattern)... a mere 384 hours from now.

2018 AZ Fire Restriction UPDATES Thread-384.png
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Prolly quite a bit, and there's really nothing in the pipe for some time to come. Long-long term modeling hints at the 04 July timeframe for the next possible precip (and what could be the onset of a monsoonal pattern)... a mere 384 hours from now.
    I wasn't asking about the timeline as much as the amount of precipitation we would need to see in order to lift the closures. I know that forecast models have improved exponentially in the last decade, but predictions that are 2 weeks out is still a total crapshoot. Hell, they were forecasting 2x to 5x the precipitation for this last storm vs. what we actually saw across the state just days before it hit..

mtbr member
    Iím keeping my expectations low for the forests to reopen before mid July. The moment they are open, they are going to be packed with people and more than likely fires will be more frequent. Fall is better riding anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I live in Payson. Its super dry up here. I'd say at least 3 weeks before forest re-opens. Maybe a little more depending on how much moisture we receive. Sucks.

slower than you
    ďStarting Wednesday [11 July 18] morning, the Coconino and Kaibab national forests will lift all fire restrictions south of the Grand Canyon and will rescind the seven area closures that have been in effect since May.Ē

https://azdailysun.com/news/local/ka...=home-breaking

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here's the official announcement from Coconino NF

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD586542''

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., July 9, 2018, For Immediate Release Ė Coconino National Forest will
    lift all fire restrictions and area closures this Wednesday (7/11) at 8 a.m. due to the
    recent increase in moisture and humidity, as well as the decreasing fire danger across
    the entire forest and a forecast of more rain over the next 10 days....

mtbr member
    Yeah!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Tonto and Sitgreaves are still fairly dry. Sitgreaves has moistened up the last few days but it still maybe another week or two before we can get back in there. Hoping its soon. I'm tired of being a roadie!!

livin' the dream......
    Anyone know if Pine (Pine TH, specifically) has received any rain? Anxious to get on those trails.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have been riding the Sedona trails the last three days and conditions have been excellent. Two wet spots on Chuckwagon and one on Mescal.

Fortunately Sedona wasnít part of the Coconino trail closures.

mtbr member
    Pine has gotten pounded the last few days. The Tonto NF is also lifting the closures in the morning but ironically it is going to be way too wet to ride here.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Stumpy View Post
    Pine has gotten pounded the last few days. The Tonto NF is also lifting the closures in the morning but ironically it is going to be way too wet to ride here.
    Thanks! Saw the Tonto update. Can't get up there until next weekend anyway, but glad they have received some precip.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Went out for my fifth straight ride in Sedona and todayís ride was outstanding. The weather was perfect and the trail conditions were awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12