mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2014 Whiskey - Please dedicate to Granite Mountain Hotshots

I would like to make a public request to Todd Sadow and the folks at Epic Rides to please please please dedicate the 2014 Whiskey events to the Granite Mountain Hotshots. Our community has a hole in our hearts that will take many years to heal. Let us make next year the biggest and best ever, and help those who help us. Anything I can do to make this happen let me know.

mtbr member
    Why stop at 2014?
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agreed for both the above

Carnivore
    Great idea!

mtbr member

2014 Whiskey - Please dedicate to Granite Mountain Hotshots

Helluva idea.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    a "19" mile race or town ride also? Riding and trailbuilding in Prescott takes on new meaning/significance. Never forget Granite Mtn Hot Shots

mtbr member
    Good one RobZona. I like that one.

mtbr member
    or Prescott/Last alarm 6/30/2013/heroes remembered XVIII emblem on shirts and jerseys would be good

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Isn't the 15 proof really at about 19 miles long? If not - easy to make it so. Good way to honor the hotshots every year with a distance accessible to a wider range of riders. Todd could donate 19% of entry fees for that race distance. The 15 is the least ridden distance. Making the change to 19 and donating some of the take would only increase the # of riders for that friday race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I spoke with Todd within two days of the original post, and they were already talking about options. As he said, and I agree, the race is a long way off. As Epic begins to move closer to the event there will undoubtedly be a serious conversation with the City of Prescott and other local stake holders about the best way to incorporate a tribute and fundraiser. I have no doubt the cycling community will step up big. As a personal note, I would like to see Mike Janelle's name still attached as a dedication. His parents live in Yarnell, and while I do not know how they were affected, the tie in is hard to ignore. It might be good to consider a dual beneficiary of the Granite Mountain Hotshot charity and a Yarnell assistance fund of some sort. Let us all keep our eyes open for thoughts and opportunity. A quick note to Epic letting them know how you feel about this cannot hurt as well. They are a great crew, and will come up with something worthy no doubt.

livin' the dream......
    Nice. I am sure what ever is done, will be in good taste, and make a positive impact.

mtbr member
    a 19 Proof will bring out riders like crazy!!, Great idea, cant wait for the next Whiskey!!

mtbr member
    I get that 19 men died fighting the fire, but am a little taken aback that you all have forgotten about the 129 Arizona residents who have lost their lives fighting the war on terror since 2003. Does the fact they were not in Arizona when it happened make it more acceptable? Or is it the fact they are military and it is expected make it OK. I was at the Diamondbacks game on 5 July. It was the military appreciation game that was supposed to honor the men and women of our armed forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation. Not a word of the 129 fallen soldiers, but instead a tribute to the fire fighters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No one is forgetting anything. If you want to encourage an event to be dedicated to our armed forces by all means contact the promoter and start the dialogue. But why make the cutoff 2003? Millions of Americans have died in service to their country. Is a recent death worth more?

This is about a tragedy that has befallen my community, and touched me greatly as I grew up in a Fire family.

We have a tremendous cycling event here that has become a beacon for what is great about Prescott. If that weekend of celebration can also help our community both heal and remember all the better. So if you have never done the Whiskey, come on up next April and we will hoist a beer to the Hotshots and hero's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I get that 19 men died fighting the fire, but am a little taken aback that you all have forgotten about the 129 Arizona residents who have lost their lives fighting the war on terror since 2003. Does the fact they were not in Arizona when it happened make it more acceptable? Or is it the fact they are military and it is expected make it OK. I was at the Diamondbacks game on 5 July. It was the military appreciation game that was supposed to honor the men and women of our armed forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation. Not a word of the 129 fallen soldiers, but instead a tribute to the fire fighters.