Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Idaho TR

mtbr member

2012 Idaho TR

Took advantage of the last week before the kids had to go back to school to make an impromptu trip to Idaho. As luck would have it we coincided with a lightning caused wildfire near Stanley that put the kabosh on most of the riding in that area I had planned. So, we stuck closer to Sun Valley.

First up to bat was what I consider to be about the best 10 mile ride anywhere: Up Greenhorn Gulch and down Imperial just south of Ketchum. Taaaasty if you like fast and flowy with big views of the Pioneer Mtns. There's no lack of mountains in Idaho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-greenhorn1.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-greenhorn2.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-greenhorn3.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-greenhorn4.jpg  

mtbr member

Day 2

We decided to give the kids (ages 13 and 10) a little lift-access action. So, we hit the gondola to the top of Baldy and went down the Warm Springs Trail. There's basically two options-Warm Springs or Cold Springs with Warm Springs having a bit more up and down so it's not a total brake fest. Fun with the kids but for lift access DH the place leaves a little to be desired.

An important lesson was learned by the older sister. If you're going to swat at flies, use the front brake hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-baldy1.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-baldy2.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-baldy3.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-baldy4.jpg  

mtbr member

Day 3

I got a Hall Pass and decided to go for an adventure ride in the White Clouds. Having ridden to the base of Castle Peak from the east side I've been salivating over access from the west side, especially after seeing a couple of Epicrider's pics from his 2010 trip report.

The smoke from the Halstead Fire had settled in during the night so I was a bit bummed driving over Galena Pass. But after 11 miles up Pole Creek Rd, the last bit some tight 4wd with creek crossings the smoke had mostly cleared and I was at the Germania TH. The White Clouds are characterized by solitude and the riding is of the backcountry, wilderness variety. I had the place to myself with the exception of a wrangler horse packing supplies into a fishing camp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-woodrvalley.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-sawtooths.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle1.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle2.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle3.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle4.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle5.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle6.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle7.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-castle8.jpg  

mtbr member

Day 4

Corral Creek trail is a perfect ride for kids. Never too steep and the fun factor is high. With views of the Pioneers it's in and out of the trees with a great fast, swoopy section through sagebrush in the Trail Creek drainage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-corral1.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-corral2.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-corral3.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-corral4.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-corral5.jpg  

mtbr member

Day 5

We had camped alongside Prairie Creek in the Smokey Mountains so mrs. rockman went and did the Prairie Lake to Miner Lake loop while I broke camp. When she got back I climbed some logging roads and came down Curly's which is a rip roaring descent down to Easley Hot Springs where wifey and the kids were soaking. This ride usually has big views of the Boulder Mountains but the smoke was back.

We camped nearby and it turned into an air quality alert so we called the trip good and started to make our way back to AZ. Thanks for reading. Put Idaho on your list if you haven't made it there already. Great trails, easy access, and places to camp all over the place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-curly1.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-curly2.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-curly3.jpg  

2012 Idaho TR-curly4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great pics! Bummer about the fire though...

Stanley area has long been on my list of singletrack destinations, both for mtb and moto.

My other ride is your mom
    Nicely done.....are you adopting?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice! Greenhorn Gulch was my first ride there. I remember it being some of the most flowy sweet singletrack for about 5 miles or so on the downhill. So good!

banned
    rock:

Great Post as usual. Stanley was on my list to visit based on our prior discussions. It will be interesting if the fire is going to make that impossible on this trip.

Hopefully there will be some kind of miracle to allow it to happen.

TD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like a great trip. I live about an hour south of Sun Valley/Ketchum and love riding that area. Fires have been bad this year and they're saying its gonna take rain or snow to finally put the big ones out.

skilldest©
    I am still trying to figure out how the name "Sawtooth" is a name for a mountain range. Just kidding. I have spent a lot of time up in that area during the summers and winters. Amazing area for sure. Thanks for sharing the pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    rock:

Great Post as usual. Stanley was on my list to visit based on our prior discussions. It will be interesting if the fire is going to make that impossible on this trip.

Hopefully there will be some kind of miracle to allow it to happen.

TD
    TD, it really depends on how the wind blows. Information, maps, closures, on the Halstead Fire can be found here InciWeb the Incident Information System: Halstead
    This is a handy webcam for the Sawtooths Sawtooth Camera: Live webcam from Stanley, Idaho. Views of the Sawtooth Mountain Range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotam7 View Post
    Looks like a great trip. I live about an hour south of Sun Valley/Ketchum and love riding that area. Fires have been bad this year and they're saying its gonna take rain or snow to finally put the big ones out.
    I was hearing October? Are you in Shoshone?

I'd really like to check out some of the new stuff outside Hailey but it was too hot. Hidden Valley and thereabouts. One of my favorite rides is Wolftone-Curran Gulch and the big views over the Snake River Plain followed by an awesome downhill on Curran.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    TD, it really depends on how the wind blows. Information, maps, closures, on the Halstead Fire can be found here InciWeb the Incident Information System: Halstead
    This is a handy webcam for the Sawtooths Sawtooth Camera: Live webcam from Stanley, Idaho. Views of the Sawtooth Mountain Range.
    rockman;

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting where we head after Boise. Looks like it is going to be Smokey where the fires are, so we will try and find great places to ride heading to Wyoming that the temps are nice, trails are great and views are awesome.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    rockman;

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting where we head after Boise. Looks like it is going to be Smokey where the fires are, so we will try and find great places to ride heading to Wyoming that the temps are nice, trails are great and views are awesome.

TD
    The smoke from the Idaho fires is also impacting the Tetons and Jackson but as you know the riding there doesn't suck. I would suggest working a little sw Montana into the mix. Hit Big Sky and Bozeman and then work your way down to Jackson if that's what you were thinking. If you go further east there is some awesome riding in the Bighorns and you could also hit Curt Gowdy.

Just another half mile...
    NICE! Glad you were able to do this ride. It was one of my favorites from my 2010 road trip up in that area. How was the DH down Chamberlin Creek?

I got a Hall Pass and decided to go for an adventure ride in the White Clouds. Having ridden to the base of Castle Peak from the east side I've been salivating over access from the west side, especially after seeing a couple of Epicrider's pics from his 2010 trip report.

The smoke from the Halstead Fire had settled in during the night so I was a bit bummed driving over Galena Pass. But after 11 miles up Pole Creek Rd, the last bit some tight 4wd with creek crossings the smoke had mostly cleared and I was at the Germania TH. The White Clouds are characterized by solitude and the riding is of the backcountry, wilderness variety. I had the place to myself with the exception of a wrangler horse packing supplies into a fishing camp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    NICE! Glad you were able to do this ride. It was one of my favorites from my 2010 road trip up in that area. How was the DH down Chamberlin Creek?
    It was a bit burly and steep. Lost the trail through a meadow and some of the lower parts were boggy or the trail was a creek. I can't believe you climbed that

Climbing out Germania is no picnic either.

Ya, I can't believe we went up it either. I think we HAB about 50% of it. Forgot about Gemania since we road down it.

It was a bit burly and steep. Lost the trail through a meadow and some of the lower parts were boggy or the trail was a creek. I can't believe you climbed that

Climbing out Germania is no picnic either.

I agree, hit the Big Sky area. There are some fun and scenic trails in the area.

The smoke from the Idaho fires is also impacting the Tetons and Jackson but as you know the riding there doesn't suck. I would suggest working a little sw Montana into the mix. Hit Big Sky and Bozeman and then work your way down to Jackson if that's what you were thinking. If you go further east there is some awesome riding in the Bighorns and you could also hit Curt Gowdy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Idaho TR-img_7113_resize.jpg  

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Dayum! Idaho is on my list. Nice snaps.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I'd really like to check out some of the new stuff outside Hailey but it was too hot. Hidden Valley and thereabouts. One of my favorite rides is Wolftone-Curran Gulch and the big views over the Snake River Plain followed by an awesome downhill on Curran.
    Twin Falls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotam7 View Post
    Twin Falls
    I've got family in Burley and have ridden the Southern Hills a bit. Doesn't look like much from a distance but once you're there, there's a surprising amount of awesome singletrack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Indian Springs in the South Hills is where i do most of my riding. Miles and miles of high desert single track. Surprising amount of climbing too

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

The smoke from the Halstead Fire had settled in during the night so I was a bit bummed driving over Galena Pass. But after 11 miles up Pole Creek Rd, the last bit some tight 4wd with creek crossings the smoke had mostly cleared and I was at the Germania TH. The White Clouds are characterized by solitude and the riding is of the , wilderness variety. I had the place to myself with the exception of a wrangler horse packing supplies into a fishing camp.
    Awesome Loops. These are in my (somewhat) backyard! (I live in Twin Falls.)

Here is the trip we are repeating this coming weekend....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4560132&type=3

mtbr member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Curran!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast