mtbr member

2011 Giant Yukon Fx problem (cross post from Giant forum)

Hey all! I just picked up my first full suspension bike 2 days ago, a 2011 Giant Yukon Fx. Took it on it's maiden voyage yesterday. I was having a blast until about an hour and a half into my ride, I hear a horrible 'ping!' 'crunch' and my rear wheel locked up. (Luckily I wasn't coming down anything crazy) I get off and see what all the commotion was, and find this: my derailleur hanger had snapped, and my derailleur shot into the space between wheel and chainstay. The derailleur is shot now as is the chain, so I had to rig it as a single speed and limp it the 6 miles back to the car. Needless to say, I was not pleased, and today I'm taking it back to the shop where I bought it.
    My riding buddy has a 2009 giant Yukon fx as well, and had the exact same thing happen to him. Is his a common thing for these bikes? I mean, I know it's definitely not top of the line, but really?!?
    Just curious if anyone has had similar issues or experiences with this sort of thing.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

Elitest thrill junkie
    About the only reason this happens is that you hit the derailer on a rock, OR the chain was speced too short, which would be odd, but not impossible. When they put the bikes together in the shop they usually do not check chain length because it comes with the chain on (assumed to be the correct length). While this would be very rare, it's about the only reason that I could imagine a particular bike model is affected (would not happen across multiple years though), barring some other rarity like a metal-flaw in the hanger itself.

It's semi-common for arizona riding to hit your derailer on rocks and weaken the hangar, you might consider a higher end derailer that can take more damage or less subceptible to damage due to design/location (balance against the fact that it's more expensive though).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I took it in, and I'm upgrading the Sram x4 to a shimano deore. The shop guy said its super rare for that to happen without a crash or hitting it on a rock like you said. He was super helpful as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That sounds strange, shimano deore and sram x4 are not cross compatible due to the cable-pull
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    Thanks! I took it in, and I'm upgrading the Sram x4 to a shimano deore. The shop guy said its super rare for that to happen without a crash or hitting it on a rock like you said. He was super helpful as well.
    The sram and shimano are not compatible with your shifters. Go with an x7. They're relatively cheap and work very well. They're all I use since AZ is rough on derailleurs.

Damn! Jayem beat me to it

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, Sram/Shimano rear derailleurs/shifters aren't compatible. The fronts are.

From someone who breaks lot of hangers and derailleurs, buy solid mid-level rear derailleurs (I like Sram X7) and higher-end (X9 or X0) shifters. The shifter will run forever and you won't hate life breaking a $40 rear d. over the blingy $120 one. Also run the shortest cage you can get away with (typically a medium cage for a 2x9 setup).

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^^^^^^^Solid advice

+Infinity!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully he will know that at the shop and go with the X7