Thread: 1x9 29er

mtbr member

1x9 29er

Anyone running a 1x9 29er, and if so what gearing are you running. I currently am running a 34t front and a 11/34 rear is that pretty standard? For steep hills should I go to 32t front or go with a 11/36 rear?

"No Clue Crew"
    Gears (to me) are all personal. I'm currently running a 32 on my SS and a 36 on my All Mountain. I think with a 1 x 9 34 would be a great middle point. Good luck and update us...............Drew

I am Bob
    My El Mariachi is set up 1x9 11/36.
    I ride mostly at South Mountain and it climbs the nasty stuff just fine. I've also ridden it a fair amount in the Mc Dowell climbs and prefer it to a granny ring any day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    32-34x11

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    32-34x11
    Is this one of the rides you got back? I might've cried if this dissappeared from my garage. Looks damn nice.

Been riding the new SS las couple days that is 32/20. I could imagine a 34 plus a few choices in the back would be a nice mix. Thinking about trying this on my FS.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Is this one of the rides you got back? I might've cried if this dissappeared from my garage. Looks damn nice.

Been riding the new SS las couple days that is 32/20. I could imagine a 34 plus a few choices in the back would be a nice mix. Thinking about trying this on my FS.
    No. I didn't get any of my bikes back. This is the replacement for my Fisher Ferrous. It now lives locked up 24/7 with auto flame throwers as back up. The one by nine works good here. I went up to Flag last weekend and did 25 miles with 4000 feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    I have two rides on the new 1x9, 34t front and 11/34 rear and so far it seems to climb very well. Although on one climb I could see the advantage of having 36t gear out back.

Let'er Buck
    I just built a 1x9 29er and really wish I could get a 30 tooth up front and 12-36 in the rear, maybe I am just week but long or steep loose climbs I like having just a slightly lower gear.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

workin' it Administrator
    30T chainrings are available but require some finagling with the chainring bolts and sometimes the crank spider arms (filing etc).

The 12x36 cassette is currently available through shimano but can be unholy hell on certain freehub bodies. The 29er+the big bog=much torque=snappity bang hub bodies.

It is certainly cheaper to get fitter.
    Try this: HTFU

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    32-34x11

Good looking rig!.......Drew