Hawes Junkie

1st time Bootleg trip 2/22-need some help

Friday morning I am headed up to Vegas to go riding at Bootleg Canyon and wanted to find out if anyone has any good/bad/ugly experiences there. I ride XC so the downhill trails are going to be off limits--until I can try again when I get my Stumpy. We only have about 3 hours that we can ride due to time constraints and meetings in Vegas Friday night so what trails would give me my most 'bang for the buck'?

Thanks in advance for the help--the MTBR community has never let me down!

AZXC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ XC
    Friday morning I am headed up to Vegas to go riding at Bootleg Canyon and wanted to find out if anyone has any good/bad/ugly experiences there. I ride XC so the downhill trails are going to be off limits--until I can try again when I get my Stumpy. We only have about 3 hours that we can ride due to time constraints and meetings in Vegas Friday night so what trails would give me my most 'bang for the buck'?

Thanks in advance for the help--the MTBR community has never let me down!

AZXC
    As a XC rider myself, I've had great fun at Bootleg while my DH friends are bombing down the nasties. From just above the parking area, take West Leg to Caldera then hook up on Boyscout and ride down Girlscout. Shoot across the road to Upper Lake View and then come back on Middle Lake View. The only place that has given me pause on this loop is one steep rolling drop on Boyscout. I've never done all the lower trails on the west side of the park including the IMBA stuff so can't comment on them. But seems that you could hook them up with the above loop for a longer ride. Have fun!

Hawes Junkie
    Very good-thanks--I've heard the 'scout' trails make for some great riding. I'll def check them out.

Pivotal figure
    Hey K, which drop on BS are you talking about? I don't remember anything like that except on Skyline trail. Boyscout was fairly "safe", at least compared to all the other stuff there (Like all of SoMo even).. Another cool trail is Mother, pretty tight singletrack with a bit of exposure. It's like an intro to the nastier DH trails without getting too risky.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

All That is Man
    I friend and I did a ride there in August. We did what we weren't supposed to do and just drove to the top of the mountain in his Samurai and hit the trails from there. We made our way down about 1/4 mile of trail before we came across some suicide runs where we ended up hiking the bikes down to the road/wash on the back side and proceeded to ride north until we found the trail again. By the time we were well into the valley on the back side, we headed back up as TWO monsoon storms were converging right where we left the Suzuki. I was way too out of shape for it at the time, and probably still am. The the ride up was horrible and we were rushed to get out of there. Lightning was striking within a 1/4 mile of us.

The next time we did it, we did it the right way and parked at the parking area and took the XC trails to the west. That was good fun untill we ended up on the main road and had to ride the road back to the car, it was horrible and had to have been 110° that day. The road ride seemed longer than the trail.

I definitely look forward to going back when the weather is right and hopefully connect the trails properly and make a loop out of it.
    John

Members who have read this thread: 0