Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Magicshine Light Dealer

12 Hours At Night in Prescott July 17-18, 2010

http://www.go-ar.com/12han.html

Saturday July 17-18
    Anyone else doing the 12HAN? I did it last year which was the inaugural event. Cool format for us folks in Southern AZ, race starts at 8pm Saturday night and finishes at 8am Sunday morning just as it starts warming up. The promoter Dave is a really nice guy and a Prescott local.

It was a really nice course with a mixture of singletrack, doubletrack and dirt road, with a couple of manageable climbs. Great race for folks just getting into endurance racing as the course doesn't beat you up too much and you can turn some really fast laps (some of the team riders did sub 36 minute laps and solos were able to get a few 38 min laps in). Good race for teams with new riders as the field spreads out quickly as it is a smaller event and it's easy to overtake in many places.

I'm sponsoring them this year and they have a raffle with plenty of schwag from their sponsors at the end of the race and we'll be contributing lighting products and helping with the charging station.

Great course for singlespeeds, I'm looking forward to it.
    Cheers Reade
    www.thesingletrackstore.com
    Magicshine 900 & 1400 Lumen Cycling Light Dealer in Arizona

mtbr member
    I'm going to enter, maybe a duo girl team. Not quite sure yet. It looks like a really fun race!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Yeah it was a really fun 12 hour, not that hard to do as a solo either, you'll have a blast, bring some friends and hang out between laps it's a very relaxed atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by fattirebliss
    I'm going to enter, maybe a duo girl team. Not quite sure yet. It looks like a really fun race!

mtbr member
    I might have to check this one out too. Gotta get the summer schedule for work figured out.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Cool, the more the merrier, I see you have a GF Rig, I rode my 2009 Rig at this race last year, worked out well

Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    I might have to check this one out too. Gotta get the summer schedule for work figured out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds like a spandex fest, popular format up here.......................

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Agreed Milagrossa or Somo it is not, but still fun, and a good format for the middle of summer in AZ IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by tls36

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Agreed, the same format ride in Phoenix would be an oven of hell! Dave is a great guy, any idea where the course might be??

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Yeah it's held here
    Pioneer Park / Brownlow Trails
    1329 Commerce Dr, Prescott Valley
    The course actually loops around and goes through tunnels under the highway twice. I remember last year it was already getting really warm when I finished my final lap at about 7.40am. I think it's great that we Southern Arizonans get a chance to do a local endurance race in the summer, I don't have anything else this length local on my calendar from this race until the 24 Hours of Fury in November .

Agreed, the same format ride in Phoenix would be an oven of hell! Dave is a great guy, any idea where the course might be??

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, in Pioneer Park (that's where it was last year). Not sure I'd be interested in riding, maybe hanging out. Kinda the same with that race they do in the Alto OHV area...not interesting at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

aka Diesel
    Absolutely in.
    I had a blast last year. It was my first 12 hour race (as well as all-nighter), and the small number of partcipants made for a very friendly, vibing atmosphere. And hey, free hotdogs will bring me out any day.

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I totally forgot about the free hotdogs last year, that's a winner everytime. See ya up there CoyoteKis

I am Walt
    In...Solo SS...

Edit: Linky is not active yet for registration...
    Last edited by waltaz; 03-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    In...Solo SS...
    Me to Walt

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singletrack Store
    Me to Walt
    Well, you will be ahead of me, for sure...
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Well, you will be ahead of me, for sure...
    We'll see, they have a short le mans style downhill run at the start, I hate running in riding gear, I think I still hurt from doing the run and then the 1st lap at 24HOP, at least this one is shorter

Old and Slow
    Registration is open for this on April 1st gang.
    Getting out there one day at a time.

Old and Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yep, in Pioneer Park (that's where it was last year). Not sure I'd be interested in riding, maybe hanging out. Kinda the same with that race they do in the Alto OHV area...not interesting at all.
    Gee thanks for the positive spin James..........

It get's interesting about 2:00am on your 6th or 7th lap.

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfPrescott
    Gee thanks for the positive spin James..........

It get's interesting about 2:00am on your 6th or 7th lap.
    That's funny, agreed racing really begins in the middle of the night at these type of events

mtbr member
    May 2008

Come on Tom, you would look good in pink tights like Helimech wears

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm hoping to do it this year, missed it last year. I heard it was a blast and Dave is an awesome host! Come on Preskitt Peeps, we gotta have a strong showing of locals and support Dave. And yes TLS36 and Helimech can wear their pink tights!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Now it is sounding really interesting, pink tights AND free hot dogs-maybe I need to reconsider? Maybe some of us big bike guys need to get out there and see how many miles our heavy sleds can rack up! If I have my light bike( considering a Pivot Firebird) by then I just might.................What do you say heli, join me on our heavy bikes????

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Now it is sounding really interesting, pink tights AND free hot dogs-maybe I need to reconsider? Maybe some of us big bike guys need to get out there and see how many miles our heavy sleds can rack up! If I have my light bike( considering a Pivot Firebird) by then I just might.................What do you say heli, join me on our heavy bikes????
    Now THAT is a sweet bike! Saw Kenny at 24HOP on his. He rides that thing like it's a 15lb BMX bike!

mtbr member
    Um, TLS36 just said tights and hot dogs. I'll pass or I'll just stand far away we'll see.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Um, TLS36 just said tights and hot dogs. I'll pass or I'll just stand far away we'll see.

Master Gardener
    I'm in. I'm going to send Zack Stanford home crying this year, that's my goal. Nobody tell him.

Master Gardener
    Oh, I forgot Zack isn't riding SS. Guess it's Tom I'm gonna have to send home crying. Someone from Vassago is gonna be reduced to tears, I'm telling ya!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Got a question how hard of a race would this be, my brother and i usualy go riding for two - four hours everyday, mainly doing all mountain riding, we both have hardtail bikes, would this be a manigable thing to complete?

mtbr member

Anxious for 12 HON @ Prescott again!

Absolutely FANTASTIC-TIME last year! Fun-Course IMO and "Pit-Venue" was good too.
    * I anticipate SIGNIFICANTLY MORE follks attending this year though, so I'd encourage you-cats to get there perhaps a little earlier than "normal" to pit on the main-side of the road.

Dave did a nice-job laying-out the course and providing music, food and coffee throughout the event to keep you going as well!

Last year I cruised back over to our cabin/Condo after the event to get a couple-hours of sleep before heading back "Down the Hill," and I'm planning on that again this year as well if you need a place to crash-out for a few-hours first. Call or I.M. to let me know you'll be cruising over Post-Event.

* If you're on one-of "Harv's Thursday Night Ride" lists, I'll be pushing this-event there too, as it's a blast!

Harv
    out
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Hardtails are perfect for this course, there is not much sketchy descending. A couple of climbs that make singlespeeders work hard and some fast downhill dirt road sections where the geared folks can use bigring. If you can ride 2-4 hours daily you can complete this 12 hour event solo, just roll at your own pace IMO

Quote Originally Posted by way2fasts
    Got a question how hard of a race would this be, my brother and i usualy go riding for two - four hours everyday, mainly doing all mountain riding, we both have hardtail bikes, would this be a manigable thing to complete?

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Last year was a great event, it will be nice to have more attendees this year. We were lucky enough to get there at 4pm last year and setup right beside the course just before the timing area which was perfect. Might have to get up there early in the morning to get a spot like that again this year though. We'll be bringing more Tucson folks up this year for sure, we had a blast last year, hopefully we can triple the size of the solo singlespeed category.

Quote Originally Posted by phichibri
    Absolutely FANTASTIC-TIME last year! Fun-Course IMO and "Pit-Venue" was good too.
    * I anticipate SIGNIFICANTLY MORE follks attending this year though, so I'd encourage you-cats to get there perhaps a little earlier than "normal" to pit on the main-side of the road.

Dave did a nice-job laying-out the course and providing music, food and coffee throughout the event to keep you going as well!

Last year I cruised back over to our cabin/Condo after the event to get a couple-hours of sleep before heading back "Down the Hill," and I'm planning on that again this year as well if you need a place to crash-out for a few-hours first. Call or I.M. to let me know you'll be cruising over Post-Event.

* If you're on one-of "Harv's Thursday Night Ride" lists, I'll be pushing this-event there too, as it's a blast!

Harv
    out

mtbr member
    Last years event was really really fun! Laid back, great hot dogs, the promoter was really fun... and the course was pretty fun as well. I do not think I am going to be able to make it this year - it is the same weekend as the Breck 100 - which is super fun too!! I think that I am taking some of the prescott locals with me too - kind of feel bad!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Laid back is right Tom, last year I was on lap 9 or 10 and I was wondering how many laps you were ahead of me. Turns out you were taking a 4 hour nap.

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Last years event was really really fun! Laid back, great hot dogs, the promoter was really fun... and the course was pretty fun as well. I do not think I am going to be able to make it this year - it is the same weekend as the Breck 100 - which is super fun too!! I think that I am taking some of the prescott locals with me too - kind of feel bad!

Old and Slow
    Hey Tom, don't sweat it. Have a great time at Breckenridge!

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave!!! I am sending out the info to everyone that I know for the event - I think my dist list has about 1000 people on it that do endurance races by now!!! PM me if you have fliers or anything you want me to distribute at the races for you!

BTW - Sleeping under the stars in Prescott in July is FANTASTIC and I would recommend it to anyone!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I may have to try the nap under the stars racing approach this year, seems to work for you Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Thanks Dave!!! I am sending out the info to everyone that I know for the event - I think my dist list has about 1000 people on it that do endurance races by now!!! PM me if you have fliers or anything you want me to distribute at the races for you!

BTW - Sleeping under the stars in Prescott in July is FANTASTIC and I would recommend it to anyone!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Oh, I forgot Zack isn't riding SS. Guess it's Tom I'm gonna have to send home crying. Someone from Vassago is gonna be reduced to tears, I'm telling ya!
    Not that I'm in the same league as Tom or Zach...or YOU for that matter! I always get reduced to tears trying to hang with you! (on or off my Vassago).

I saw Ed & his crew out on Sat., he had another dude there on a black Vassago...it was like I was looking in the mirror! Except he was better looking....

mtbr member
    don't sell yourself short... you are one hot dude... (actually, I am not even sure I know who you are!! LOL!)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dude, if your talking to me it's Rick (from Preskitt)! And your right I am damn hot!

Master Gardener
    He is.

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Rick you may well be hot, I to have had confirmation that I am hot so he may have been talking about me (Reade from Oro Valley)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rick you may well be hot, I to have had confirmation that I am hot so he may have been talking about me (Reade from Oro Valley)

Ha! Reade, you never know about them single speed dudes!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Rick I gotta confess, I'm a singlespeeder aswell, and I just checked with my daughter she says I'm not hot anymore because I have stopped sweating after my ride this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Ha! Reade, you never know about them single speed dudes!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rick I gotta confess, I'm a singlespeeder aswell, and I just checked with my daughter she says I'm not hot anymore because I have stopped sweating after my ride this afternoon.

Reade- yeah I know...me too! My daughter is only 2, she takes me as I am!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I got 2 x 3-year old daughters, they sure keep me busy, one wants to ride bikes and tackle boys and the other wants to be a dancing princess

Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Reade- yeah I know...me too! My daughter is only 2, she takes me as I am!

Magicshine Light Dealer

Bringing Magicshine 1400's to the race

We have the new Magicshine 1400 Lumen lights in stock and we'll bring some up to the race for folks to take a look. I've been testing these lights for a month and they are nicely built, seriously bright and well priced.

Cheers Reade

I am Walt
    We have the new Magicshine 1400 Lumen lights in stock and we'll bring some up to the race for folks to take a look. I've been testing these lights for a month and they are nicely built, seriously bright and well priced.

Cheers Reade
    I may have to check that out, Reade...been looking for a handlebar light to augment/backup my helmet-mounted HID's. How hot does the 1400 run, and how much?

Looking forward to this event...missed it last year, but can't wait for it this year!
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Hi Walt
    I have found that this light runs a little cooler than a MS900 in the same conditions, I'm not a light builder but I assume it has to do with the larger surface area and increased cooling effect as a heatsink. We are doing these for $129.99 with a helmet mount included. This is more suited to be bar mounted but it's nice to have a helmet mount just in case you want to try it on the lid. There is a thread in the lights and nightriding forum that I have been adding feedback in the last few days about the new magicshine. I've been testing it for a month and folks have had tons of questions, which I've done my best to answer from my own observations. Yeah I loved this race last year and am also really looking forward to it this year.
    Cheers Reade

I may have to check that out, Reade...been looking for a handlebar light to augment/backup my helmet-mounted HID's. How hot does the 1400 run, and how much?

Looking forward to this event...missed it last year, but can't wait for it this year!

Old and Slow
    Registration opens in 2 Days!

Old and Slow
    Registration is OPEN, and entries are coming in!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Thanks for the reminder Dave, mine is in the mailbox ready to go tomorrow
    Cheers Reade

Registration is OPEN, and entries are coming in!

I am Walt
    Entered! Solo SS...
    Ride more; post less...

GeoMan
    GeoManGear is sponsoring the 12 HAN and will be helping Dave with the charging station. Also we will be bringing some precharged demo lightsets to the event that will be free for race participants to try. If you are new to nightriding/nightracing and want to try a a few laps without having to buy lights, sign up for the event and email geoman@geomangear.com and we'll reserve a lightset for you, numbers will be limited.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    GeoManGear is sponsoring the 12 HAN and will be helping Dave with the charging station. Also we will be bringing some precharged demo lightsets to the event that will be free for race participants to try. If you are new to nightriding/nightracing and want to try a a few laps without having to buy lights, sign up for the event and email geoman@geomangear.com and we'll reserve a lightset for you, numbers will be limited.
    i have magicshine w. 2 batteries. will you offer any battery deals, or battery rentals, etc for racers? Thank you

GeoMan
    Hi Cholla, we'll be doing raceday specials with discounted products for 12HAN racers. We'll have lightsets, extra batteries and helmet mounts for sale. All individual batteries and lightsets will be precharged so they are ready to go out of the box. Plus we'll have free demo lightsets for new nightriders to get a taste of what they have been missing, so bring along your pals who haven't tried nightriding before and we'll set them up with a 900 for their helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i have magicshine w. 2 batteries. will you offer any battery deals, or battery rentals, etc for racers? Thank you
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

parenting for gnarness
    registered solo. gonna have to get with ya Geoman and buy a couple more batteries.

GeoMan
    Cool Cholla, we will be bringing precharged Series II batteries to the event, there will be special event discount prices like we did at the 2 Wheels for Hope race up at MacDowell last weekend. We will be doing free loaners to first time nightriders to help make our non-nocturnal mates into believers in the nightriding experience. All product brought to the race will be precharged and ready to go out of the box. We plan on getting setup at the venue by 4pm on race day

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    registered solo. gonna have to get with ya Geoman and buy a couple more batteries.
    we
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

livin' the dream......
    I am very interested in this light set up and think this is a fantastic way to demo/buy a new light set. I am running an old NR Trail rat 10W halogen. I assume this will be a better set up????

Have not registered yet for the race, but the calendar is falling into place that I can make this happen.

GeoMan
    Nice tj, yes you will surely notice an improvement over your Halogen Trail Rat. You can literally ride at full daylight speed on this particular race course with 1 Magicshine 900 running on high. Sign up, the more the merrier, this was a great event last year, freindly folks, good course with a nice mix of everything, fun racing and you can't beat free hotdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I am very interested in this light set up and think this is a fantastic way to demo/buy a new light set. I am running an old NR Trail rat 10W halogen. I assume this will be a better set up????

Have not registered yet for the race, but the calendar is falling into place that I can make this happen.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

livin' the dream......
    I did this course last year at the 1st GORD race and had a blast. Hoping my calendar works out, I should know soon if I can make this or not.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to getting my 3 man team registered (once I figure out who my other two guys are)

Here's a question someone may or may not be able to answer.....Is this race being held at the same place that the MBAA held the "Sandretto Hills" race back in 94? If that is that case I will be there without question unless it rains. If that happens I will go running back to phoenix with my tail between my legs as I am still in therapy for PTSD that I developed at that event.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

GeoMan
    Has anyone been out to the course yet and done a preride lap or 2 this year, interested in trail conditions?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Old and Slow
    To answer the question from mtbkracr, yes and no. It is in the same location, using some of the same trails, and a bunch of singletrack that was not there back then.

Now for Geoman's question, not recently. We will be out there a lot in the next 2 weeks to make sure it is ready to go.

GeoMan
    Thanks Dave, looking forward to the event, just trying to figure out which gear to run this year, I remember the steep little climb up to the first tunnel was a bit loose last year, wondering if it is in similar condition this year

To answer the question from mtbkracr, yes and no. It is in the same location, using some of the same trails, and a bunch of singletrack that was not there back then.

Now for Geoman's question, not recently. We will be out there a lot in the next 2 weeks to make sure it is ready to go.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just heard about the race today and I'm super stoked! I did road racing in college, moved to AZ a year ago, and done some MTB night rides. Never raced though. Enduro sounds cool.

I've got my own lights but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle this race solo. Anybody have room for one more? Do you know of anybody who's looking for a teammate?

Thanks a bunch!

Stan