DFMBA.org

11/9 Cave Creek Cactus Classic (C4) sound-off

Who's planning on attending this year? State your team name if you have one.
    I rode the course yesterday and Spur Cross has been groomed almost all the way to the top. The rocky sections seem chunkier because of the summer rains and the stream bed is pretty rough as well. CC Rec is in good shape (as usual) and the sand in the creek bed has been raked away some to make the crossing 1000% better. CCBA is that you? Anyway, thanks to all the volunteers that have put time and effort into making this year's race a great one. See everyone on the 9th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I am tentative. I did this last year when it was the Cave Creek Bike Fest. Fun race.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Need more cowbell
    This is a really good local event run by passionate mountain bikers.
    Home Page

A majority of the Nationwide/Veloworx team will be out there as these are the "home trails" for many of us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    A majority of the Nationwide/Veloworx team will be out there as these are the "home trails" for many of us.
    Thanks for the warning. I'm out...

(Actually, I'll be in Hawaii that weekend.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I'm out...
    An added incentive for people to register. Aloha.

mtbr member
    An added incentive for people to register. Aloha.
    casual observer ??

11/9 Cave Creek Cactus Classic (C4) sound-off-img_0997%25u0025255b1%25255d.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am plus or minus at the moment. My rear brake rotor is bent and rubbing slightly on the pad but if I bend if off the pad, the rear brake doesn't work very well. If I can get my bike fixed and riding normal, then Ill prob sign up.

DFMBA.org
    Home Page

Thanks WoD for posting the link. I do know that the race will follow the same exact course as last year but we may be in for a slight change next year (fingers crossed)...the re-birth of Surrey Hill. Anyhow, the Cave Creek Bike Assoc (local IMBA Chapter) has taken over responsibility for the race from the Town of Cave Creek and they're really hoping for a good turnout to keep this thing going. In case anyone has not seen the new promotional artwork for the race, here it is:

11/9 Cave Creek Cactus Classic (C4) sound-off-cccc.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeti- what size and style rotor do you need to get by? I have a few six bolt 160mm avids lying around-cheap as in come get it and it would be free.

I am trying to do this one. I will be on my Vassago SS and doing it as a fitness check as I get ready for the MBAA series.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Home Page

Awesome! I'll be out there and, as always, trying to keep up with HB and the rest of the Nationwide team!! :-)
    -boom

mtbr member
    Can the course be riden anytime? I would like to out and check it out this weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Can the course be riden anytime? I would like to out and check it out this weekend?
    Yes. Anytime, including at night. Here is the Strava segment of what could be the course. Begin and end at Flat Tire Bike Shop in downtown Cave Creek.

Strava Segment | FTBS CCBF w/ Surrey

Have fun, bring water and stuff for flats!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Yes. Anytime, including at night. Here is the Strava segment of what could be the course. Begin and end at Flat Tire Bike Shop in downtown Cave Creek.

Strava Segment | FTBS CCBF w/ Surrey

Have fun, bring water and stuff for flats!
    Just remember that it is not identical to the actual race course as the parts in the town of cave creek are a little different. However it does cover all the important areas.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Best bet is to do the shop ride on Sunday. There is usually a big enough turn out to split into groups based on how fast you want to go.

It's easy to get lost on this loop your first time.

mtbr member
    I am trying to do this one. I will be on my Vassago SS and doing it as a fitness check as I get ready for the MBAA series.
    CSTEM-

Fully rigid? What gearing?

mtbr member
    not sure if you all realize this but they have a "rock crusher" (clydsedale) category this year... 225 lbs +

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    not sure if you all realize this but they have a "rock crusher" (clydsedale) category this year... 200 lbs +
    Rock crusher is 225

mtbr member
    Rock crusher is 225
    oh sorry.. I assumed it was 200... oh well, I guess thats out for me... I would have to gain at least 25 lbs for that... and that ain't happening...

seems right since I know a few 200 pounders that can really crank...

mtbr member
    Rock crusher is 225
    do you work for Flat Tire ?

mtbr member
    I'm just on the cusp of qualifying as a rockcrusher - maybe 10 pounds short. If I eat a McDonald's every day for lunch and dinner between now and the registration deadline, I can get my first podium win on November 9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I'm just on the cusp of qualifying as a rockcrusher - maybe 10 pounds short. If I eat a McDonald's every day for lunch and dinner between now and the registration deadline, I can get my first podium win on November 9.
    Yep, it's a know fact that "fat" riders are slow.

Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfp23 View Post
    CSTEM-

Fully rigid? What gearing?

--No rolling a whole 80mm of squish and 32-20 or 19. Not sure on that yet. You?

Meatbomb
    Damn.. I'm down to 216#.... and real effing slow so no worries

Need more cowbell
    No. Why?

mtbr member
    No. Why?
    I ask only because I know Kaolin and I have met some of the other workers there..... You seem to know a lot of the happenings of Cave Creek mountain biking, so this is why I ask...

I do a lot of riding in the cave creek area and its nice to put a face with a name

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    No he doesn't, he's just a groupie. or is that a roadie?
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    No rolling a whole 80mm of squish and 32-20 or 19. Not sure on that yet. You?
    I pre-rode the course a month ago before they did all the trail maintenance and came to the conclusion that I needed some squish up front. I am gonna ride it again to make sure... CSTEM I think you could go 32/19. Local 50+ guy typically rides rides a 32/18. I am gonna run 33/19, its been magic lately- lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Reading about this makes me miss it there even more. You guys have fun.

If you're on the fence about this one, do yourself a HUGE favor and register. Now!!!!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    No he doesn't, he's just a groupie. or is that a roadie?
    No...I just live in Cave Creek and hang out at the shop.

mtbr member
    No...I just drive around Cave Creek asking strangers if they want their chained lubed.
    Sicko!

mtbr member
    Do they have a cap on the amount of riders. These trails can only accommodate so many hundreds of riders.

Tough one for the singlespeeders, as they gonna get blown initially on the flat/downhill parts only to catch up on the long climbs and get stuck behind riders in their grannys on those narrow trails.

DFMBA.org

11/9 Cave Creek Cactus Classic (C4) sound-off

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Do they have a cap on the amount of riders. These trails can only accommodate so many hundreds of riders.

Tough one for the singlespeeders, as they gonna get blown initially on the flat/downhill parts only to catch up on the long climbs and get stuck behind riders in their grannys on those narrow trails.
    There's good news for you in that Spur Cross has been widened as a result of the new groom. Passing will easier once you hit trail.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing.

mtbr member
    I might do the 19t then. And I am not concerned with geared guys. I "smoked" a lot of them on the downhill sections before- the flats hurt a little though!

mtbr member
    Ok I am in for this. Just need to sign up.
    Joe

livin' the dream......
    Changed my mind and signed up after all. I did have fun last year and figured what the hell.........I am IN!!

mtbr member
    I rode this course last night... Bad time to ride since the sun was in my face for a good amount of the ride.... Also, the rains this past summer really, really chunked up the section between Spur cross and Go John.... damn...
    The variety of this course makes it hard to decide between a full suspension/hard tail....

I was trying to time myself, but I got a flat... That kind of fouled things up...

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I might do the 19t then. And I am not concerned with geared guys. I "smoked" a lot of them on the downhill sections before- the flats hurt a little though!
    I ride it 19t, the only reason I don't go 18t because of all the slower granny gear riders who beat me to the single track on the dirt road. I can't get the momentum I need, It makes for a very difficult ride up that long climb when everyone is spinning like a rabbit on crack. I think the course if fine, I like the chunky rocky trails, I just hate the sandy section towards the end, that's where I begin to cramp.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I ride it 19t, the only reason I don't go 18t because of all the slower granny gear riders who beat me to the single track on the dirt road. I can't get the momentum I need, It makes for a very difficult ride up that long climb when everyone is spinning like a rabbit on crack. I think the course if fine, I like the chunky rocky trails, I just hate the sandy section towards the end, that's where I begin to cramp.
    we all hate the kitty litter... that stuff should be outlawed on any race course

Black and Sticky
    Okay I just signed up and was thinking about a preride this weekend. Looks like a fun event and will be my first MTB race. But does anybody know of a course map or turn by turn directions? The map that's linked to the registration site (MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps) doesn't have sufficient detail to keep from getting lost. Same for the Strava map that someone posted. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe the route will be easy to figure out?

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Okay I just signed up and was thinking about a preride this weekend. Looks like a fun event and will be my first MTB race. But does anybody know of a course map or turn by turn directions? The map that's linked to the registration site (MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps) doesn't have sufficient detail to keep from getting lost. Same for the Strava map that someone posted. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe the route will be easy to figure out?

Bob
    Your best bet will be to do the Flat Tire Shop Ride on Sunday morning. I think it's at 8am.

mtbr member

Bob
    The most of the course is easy to follow. The only part that gets tricky is bit after you leave cave creek park. The trail (slate I think) dumps you into a big wash. From there you cross and it becomes harder to follow as you cross the neighborhood. The good part is there no much complex riding from there on expect for sandy wash which is hard, but just sucky. At race time it is marked and easy to follow.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Anyone know the length and course for the kids race? My 7y/o is wanting to do it. I was going to enter SS but broke my arm this past Sunday so it's a no go for me.

mtbr member
    The Kids Mountain Bike Race takes place on private property located approximately one block north of the start/finish line for the mountain bike race. The course is a short loop with some portions of desert single-track and open dirt with minor obstacles. We will have races for kids from 18 months to 14 in different age brackets and a special category for "kick bikes". Strider brand kick bikes will be available for use at the event at no cost.

Each finisher will receive a hand-made ceramic medallion made by a local artist and a chance to win one of four bikes donated by REI.

CATEGORIES

AGE-------LAPS-- DISTANCE
    Kick Bike-- 1/4---- ~150 yards
    4-5 ------1----- .38
    6-8 ----- 2------- .7
    9-11-----4------ 1.5
    12-14-----6 ----- 2.2
    Events

So looks like less than a mile.
    Joe

mtbr member
    I pre rode it again last night... Its pretty tough to go all out for 24 miles... no pain, no gain...

And I came across 10-15 night hawks in Spur cross... no exaggeration...

mtbr member
    signed him up!!

mtbr member
    I pre rode it again last night... Its pretty tough to go all out for 24 miles... no pain, no gain...

And I came across 10-15 night hawks in Spur cross... no exaggeration...

You can do it. This was my first ever race when I did it last year and I had a great experience.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    You can do it. This was my first ever race when I did it last year and I had a great experience.
    yes, riding it the course is fun, but doing it for your best time is tough... my thighs were burning up at the final road climb

but, hey I like it

mtbr member
    What part of "Mtn bike RACE" is supposed to be easy! If it were easy everyone would do it.
    Joe

Black and Sticky
    Your best bet will be to do the Flat Tire Shop Ride on Sunday morning. I think it's at 8am.
    Excellent advice WOD and thank you. I drove up to CC today and visited Flat Tire. Great shop. Indeed they have a shop ride tomorrow morning and will be doing the race loop. They also have a very good and free map of the route they are passing out.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

DFMBA.org

Re: 11/9 Cave Creek Cactus Classic (C4) sound-off

Excellent advice WOD and thank you. I drove up to CC today and visited Flat Tire. Great shop. Indeed they have a shop ride tomorrow morning and will be doing the race loop. They also have a very good and free map of the route they are passing out.

Bob
    Ill probably be there at 7:00-7:15 tomorrow as well with a buddy of mine. We're B riders and know the course well as we've ridden it many times. Ill be on a f/s Giant with an orange/yellow helmet. Name is Mike.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

mtbr member
    wow, there has been a lot of trail work done on this course. I was even able to make it up that jeep road coming out of the wash on the back side .

Rode it last night. 2hrs 8 min. I felt great. I hope to feel this same way race day.

mtbr member
    wow, there has been a lot of trail work done on this course. I was even able to make it up that jeep road coming out of the wash on the back side .

Rode it last night. 2hrs 8 min. I felt great. I hope to feel this same way race day.
    Wow,
    I have ridden that wash and hill many times and never cleared that short steep bit after the wash. Always been better HAB for me. Heck it may still be a race time be use of energy to HAB than to push super hard for those 20 yards. I will have to see when I get there.

BTW 2hrs 8min is great time. It was what i did the race in last year, but that was with all the gates open. If you repeat your time on Saturday it should make for very solid finish. Last year the winner did it in 1:36 so no chance to catch that, but that is not really in cards for most us. Bart on the other hand...
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Wow,
    I have ridden that wash and hill many times and never cleared that short steep bit after the wash. Always been better HAB for me.
    If its clean like now, you'll clear it... when its clean, I am at about 80% on clearing it... the monsoons tear up to the point that I can't clear it at all... But every year I guess they clean it for the race. So, now is a good time to try it.

Black and Sticky

Wow that's a super time! I rode the course easy on Sunday. Did it in 3 hrs 10 min. But I did lose some time taking a couple wrong turns. I think I'd be happy with anything like 2:45. Even that would put me in the lower half of my old fart age group. But I really like the course and intend to go back and ride it some more this winter. Good luck to everyone on Saturday and have fun.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Do you think that this would be a good first mountain bike race? I was thinking of trying it this weekend. I am not as familiar with the course, but I did run a 50k around there last year, so I remember some of it. I think that it was part of the course... I have ridden farther than this distance but never raced it on a bike. It sounds really neat though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aethalin View Post
    Do you think that this would be a good first mountain bike race?
    Last year it was my first Mtn bike Race. So yes. It is perfect for a first race. Nice welcoming atmosphere for this one. I race for fun not for hardcore points type stuff so I like to do low key family races or the special event races. I don't want to do the hardcore races were everyone there races 5-6 race series and they all take it very seriously. I race for fun and fun of competition, but I am not race winner. If I get 3-4 races in a year I am a happy man.

So far this year I did the Whiskey 25 in Prescott, Old Fashioned Mtb Race in Flag, and now this one. I will probably try an AES event in 2014 as I don't think I am quite ready for McDowells Race this year. I have no plans to do the MBAA series as those guys seem very hardcore into racing. I ride to have fun and do an occasional race. I don't ride my bike so that I can race. That is not to say I don't push myself, but racing is not my goal. Just something I want to do every now and then. As such a race like this fits my goals just fine.
    Joe

SCRUBDUNKER
    How many water stops does this race have? I have ridden the course, but never on raceday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Came across this late, can someone send me a .gpx for this ride? I would like to get some buddies to go try it out for next year.

thanks in advance,
    Doug

SCRUBDUNKER
    Just go and race tomorrow - day of registration until 8 AM

mtbr member
    MTBDennis and I will be out there just hanging out like hoodlums with backpacks of cheap beer and lots of yelling for you racing. we have been too busy with life and developing a new MTB website for new folks to train-so we party with all of you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    How many water stops does this race have? I have ridden the course, but never on raceday.
    One maybe. You should not need water on a ride like this, but last year there was a station on the dirt road as you get off the spur cross section and on Maricopa. There is about 3/4 mile of dirt road and there was a station there. Nobody in my group stopped.
    Joe

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
    Came across this late, can someone send me a .gpx for this ride? I would like to get some buddies to go try it out for next year.

thanks in advance,
    Doug
    This is the the race loop departing from Flat Tire Bike Shop. The actual race departs a little further into Cave Creek but this should suffice just fine. Cave Creek Cactus Classic race loop with J/C by MTBeing at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    This is the the race loop departing from Flat Tire Bike Shop. The actual race departs a little further into Cave Creek but this should suffice just fine. Cave Creek Cactus Classic race loop with J/C by MTBeing at Garmin Connect - Details
    Thanks, Man that is a long race- I will need to train some more-

Everyone good luck and be safe-
    doug

livin' the dream......
    Good time today, and thanks to the volunteers and organizers for putting on a fun event.

OK.....what has to happen to get the County to close Overton to hikers for just the morning? Coming down that with speed, with hikers and dogs coming up seems like an accident waiting to happen. YES, I know we need to ride in control and all that, I am just suggesting this trail close to hikers for a few hours, once a year. Did anyone see any signs warning hikers we would be coming through? If I was a hiker and saw that sign, I would pick a different trail to hike that day. Just me though. Thoughts???????

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There was a race poster at the trailhead.Tough to get multi use trails closed for a race.It was a fun race though.

DFMBA.org
    First, I would like to acknowledge the volunteers and others who served to promote this race this year, Special thanks to Mike Rigney, Kaolin Cummens (Flat Tire Bike Shop janitor), and Lorraine (CCBA Prez) for working your tails off to assure the riders a great race. The organization was impeccable and as a result continue to have greater turnout numbers. Thanks a ton! The course could have been a little less populated but I never had much issue getting around the hikers. They're part of the landscape and relatively low impact on racers. I was grateful we didn't see horses.

Edit: My time this year was around 2:20, about 4 minutes slower than last year. I was cramping like a mofo coming out of the creek near the end and, it was hotter than last year for sure. This year felt so much harder and I had trained a bunch more as well. Dunno... The value was a little down as you expect to get a bit more goodies and a tee-shirt at the very least.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 11-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Good ride. Hard to say it was a good value - no t-shirt, no water bottle, no raffle ticket for $70. Yeah, yeah, I know it was $55 if you did it early. In that case, sub in $55 for $70. Last year it was $50 and you got stuff. I understand it's to help the trail, etc, etc, but why not make it like every other race? You get a nice goodie bag, some good stuff, and then you have a mandatory additional donation. I would do that.

I guess I think it was not worth it because I could do the same ride tomorrow for free.

I'll probably still do it next year anyway.

Yes, sign up early and it cost less and if you went up Friday to pick up your plate there was free beer, BBQ and friends to talk smack to. I had a great time but was two minutes slower than last year for some reason. I think I went into a mild heat stress on the second half of the course and looking at GPS times from last year that is where I slowed down a lot. I just woke up after a long sleep and feeling much better. I guess all the beer right after didn't help. I'll be there to suffer next year again.

Black and Sticky
    Good times for my first mountain bike race! According to my computer I finished in 2:38, which is a good pace for me. I crapped out a little bit toward the bottom of Slate. I think the heat started bothering me a little around there. I was also wondering why so many hikers on Overton. On the other hand, they were just about all smiling and giving way. There was even a group of women near the top of the second big climb (Go John maybe?) cheering for all the riders and you would have thought it was the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders the way the riders were reacting. Thanks to all the volunteers who make this event happen. I plan on making this an annual thing.

Bob

mtbr member
    Value... Not there this year. I registered early, but no shirt and no finisher medal. Not that I need that, but it was nice given th expense. Lunch was good though.

Hikers on Overton were dangerious. Not to me, but to them. Normally I will slow down for any hiker, but in a race I feel they need to move. They all did, but just seemed like a kid might run out and get run over.

As for my race. I finished in 2:12 vs 2:08 last year. I was up 2 min over last year right to the top of Go-John where it splits to quartz. The bike felt off in a turns and as I started the quartz descent I watche my front tire. It was going down. So I stopped and pumped it up as best I could and rode on. However I lost 2 min and my mental edge to beat least years time. Bonked on the was to the finish and lost another 2 min and crossed the line with an almost flat tire.
    Joe

mtbr member
    I didn't race this year, but, I'm surprised they eliminated the T-shirt and the finisher's medallion. I still have my shirt and medallion from when I raced and a lot of my family members commented on how cool the medallion was. $55 seems a lot to pay for just a timed finish.

mtbr member
    I realized that I am bad at racing. This whole jostling for position in the first ten minutes is something I am not used to. I feel like dick cutting riders off and aggressively passing them. I kept getting stuck behind riders and adapting to their pace. I guess this is where experience helps. Racing is not for the timid.

mtbr member
    This race was super fun. I had a great time out there. I finished 2:14, I had to stop and pump up a slow leak 2 times probably cost me a bout 5+ mins. The event was really well organized, my kid won a bike, and the Kids bike race was awsome, both my boys raced in it and can't wait for next year. Thanks to all the volunteers and sponsors, and for the free beer at Flat Tire bike shop (very cool shop). Easily worth the 55 bux and I don't need another t shirt anyway. Even though I bought one from flat tire.......LOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This was my third year for this race and I'll do it every year for sure. I was preriding a couple of weekends ago and there was a running race on the trails and they didn't shut down the trails for them. I just made sure to get out of their way. All the hikers I encountered on Saturday, even with dogs, didn't slow me down and were very courteous. Maybe the heat slowed me down, I was two minutes slower this year too and I was really pushing it! Even with about the same time as last year I really dropped in the standings, the race got a whole lot faster it seems. One thing I noticed is that when I got passed or passed someone there was always a "thank you" or a "good job" or some kind of encouragement. That was very cool. The kids race was awesome. There was a log obstacle set up and a sand pit and those kids were going all out. I think the race is a great value, I don't care about not having a water bottle or t-shirt I never used them anyway. Wasn't there a 78-yr-old that finished on Saturday? Yep, I want to be that guy.

mtbr member
    Great job to all who raced, busted their butts, and finished!

I will admit I was a little bummed not getting a free shirt and goody bag at packet pickup. But, oh well. As mentioned, there were a lot of friendly people involved and it made for a great race. Also, a lot of trail maintenance was done beforehand, which my tires appreciated!

CCBF last year was my very first MTB race. I was able to improve on my time this year, which was cool. I like riding up there, so I will definitely be back next year.

Don't forget, there is a Sunday morning Flat Tire Bike Shop ride every Sunday. Starts 8am this time of year, but gets pushed back earlier during the summer months. Call Kaolin and guys at the shop with any questions: 480.488.5261 And no... I don't work there... The last thing you guys want is me wrenching on yer bike! :-0
    -boom

mtbr member
    I realized that I am bad at racing. This whole jostling for position in the first ten minutes is something I am not used to. I feel like dick cutting riders off and aggressively passing them. I kept getting stuck behind riders and adapting to their pace. I guess this is where experience helps. Racing is not for the timid.
    Bart I think the racing is very different at the front where you ride. In the mid pack there is some positioning, but it is mostly about pace. If you have it you go by and if not you yield. At the front most guys race a lot and at that level it take more than just pure pace to win. I had been racing cars for years and I car racing pace just puts you at the front, but the actual racing comes down to posting yourself I the right spot to beat a faster guy. I don't have the pace to do that on a bike yet, but clearly you are there.
    Joe

livin' the dream......
    I was way slower this year vs. last year, by around 12 minutes. The climb up Jasper did me in and I was surprised how hot it was. I actually started pulling over when I heard riders approach and let them pass. Lack of training (compared to last year) and slight dehydration = slow time. Oh well.

mtbr member
    I was not able to race due to breaking my arm a couple weeks ago but we brought my son up to race the kids race (it was his first race) and it was a BLAST!! The strider kids were SO cute and everyone seemed to have a great time. Really well done and will do it again for sure!! If anyone knows of more races in AZ for kids I would love to know about them. My Son is already asking when he can race again and I don't know any other races for 7-8yo in the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    I was not able to race due to breaking my arm a couple weeks ago but we brought my son up to race the kids race (it was his first race) and it was a BLAST!! The strider kids were SO cute and everyone seemed to have a great time. Really well done and will do it again for sure!! If anyone knows of more races in AZ for kids I would love to know about them. My Son is already asking when he can race again and I don't know any other races for 7-8yo in the state.
    I think most organized races have kid's races, or at least they did my kids were younger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Great job to all who raced, busted their butts, and finished!

I will admit I was a little bummed not getting a free shirt and goody bag at packet pickup. But, oh well. As mentioned, there were a lot of friendly people involved and it made for a great race. Also, a lot of trail maintenance was done beforehand, which my tires appreciated!

CCBF last year was my very first MTB race. I was able to improve on my time this year, which was cool. I like riding up there, so I will definitely be back next year.

Don't forget, there is a Sunday morning Flat Tire Bike Shop ride every Sunday. Starts 8am this time of year, but gets pushed back earlier during the summer months. Call Kaolin and guys at the shop with any questions: 480.488.5261 And no... I don't work there... The last thing you guys want is me wrenching on yer bike! :-0
    Look at that new avatar, you look like a mean and lean racing machine.
    Your times improved a lot since last year, all that hard work pays off.

BTW wasn't the course longer by 3 miles this year. More racers came in under 2 hours and average speed (for the winner) was up to 14.3 mph !!!
    So it was a harder race with a tougher competition?

mtbr member
    I feel the same way. I won't be doing this race again for sure. Why they don't
    1) stagger the starts based on ability and
    2) Utilize the first 5 miles of road to space out riders.

Is beyond my comprehension. I am very happy for those of you who enjoyed this race. But, its just not my cup of tea...

livin' the dream......
    Another thing, and I put this on the riders..........going up Spur Cross road, people were riding the width of the entire road, even though it was open to traffic! Once the first car came toward the group, it was a cluster F** getting everyone back to the correct side of the road, and I know there were some crashes because of this.

SCRUBDUNKER
    I feel the same way. I won't be doing this race again for sure. Why they don't
    1) stagger the starts based on ability and
    2) Utilize the first 5 miles of road to space out riders.

Is beyond my comprehension. I am very happy for those of you who enjoyed this race. But, its just not my cup of tea...
    Don't do the Whiskey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Don't do the Whiskey.
    yes, I already know about it's reputation....

I should mention that the Old Fashioned Mtn Race in Flagstaff was not only perfect for my strengths, but they did an awesome job spreading out the riders... That course was great because it was almost all uphill in the beginning, and the jeep road at the start really enabled us to establish a pecking order before we got on the single track....

And yes, they did stagger the riders/groups...

SCRUBDUNKER
    The Whiskey is incredibly fun, it's just, 3-4 miles of road, uphill, jockeying for position, pushing on people, in a big mass start. Which sounds like something you may not like.

I, for one, can't wait for the Whiskey this year.

mtbr member
    yes, I already know about it's reputation....

I should mention that the Old Fashioned Mtn Race in Flagstaff was not only perfect for my strengths, but they did an awesome job spreading out the riders... That course was great because it was almost all uphill in the beginning, and the jeep road at the start really enabled us to establish a pecking order before we got on the single track....

And yes, they did stagger the riders/groups...
    I did whiskey, old fashioned, and C4 this year and C4 last year. I think alot of it depends on what part of the pack you are in Whiskey was the worst for a back up, but there are 1000 riders in each group so it will happen. I found this years C4 race to be almost back up free. I find the drit road cleared alot of riders and the double track on chainbreaker climb sorted some out as well. From there up it is hard to pass, but I got in group that was fine. I actually got more held up on old fashioned when we hit the single track climb on lap 1 and also lap 2. Last years C4 I got in slower group at the start and I knew it. This year not so much and overall not much slow down. But I did catch a rider in the climb before overton and that slowed me down a bit. Still it can take just one rider so that is just a part of racing.

I think the road start is not too bad since it gives warm up time and time to sort out a little. For the really fast guys it is a neutral start, but for the mid pack guys it is still pretty quick and good way to sort out a bit. As in any race the first part of the race is the one to the single track.
    Joe