Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

10 cyclists hit at El Tour de Tucson

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...icyclists.html

Very tragic and avoidable, I hope they all recover and the driver is found soon.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I was checking the news and seen this, what sucks is I have several friends who are doing this event and I can't get any of them on the phone to see if they are ok or not. It's crazy to think some idiots would cause such a thing and then leave the scene, I can only hope he left because he feared for his life when other cyclist where about to kick his butt as long as he turned himself in right away. This fool will be caught, too many witnesses.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member

Just a thought

See if they recorded a finish time at this link:

http://www.azstarnet.com/special/eltour

At least you'll know they finished.

Pivotal figure
    Same thing I'm wondering. Might be poring over that finish list shortly, good idea BTW.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Black and Sticky
    I rode ETDT and saw paramedics working on a girl who was on her back next to the road. She was on a backboard with neck brace. Me and at least several hundred riders had to dismount and hike a bike thru this area. Very clear to everyone passing this site was an obvious pool of blood about 12"x8". Between the girl on the backboard and the pool of blood it was a very, very bad thing to see. One of the news reports said the accident was on Ina Rd., but the place I saw the blood was Tangerine, I think. Either they're not reporting the accident on Tangerine, or they got the road wrong, or maybe I got the road wrong. In any case, really bad deal. IMO, the police officers that worked this event did an outstanding job, accidents notwithstanding.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Fragile - must be Italian
    Yikes...I rode El Tour this year and didn't hear abou this accident.

I saw plenty of other crashes -- at least 5 -- but they were all cyclists that crashed and took each other out. I was in one of the lead groups and I was surprised to see so many crashes -- you typically don't see this kind of problem with the better riders once they get spread out. I had to dodge at least 10 rolling water bottles that shook out of peoples bikes -- maybe that's what caused all the wipe-outs. The roads were in pretty bad shape in some parts of the course and bottles would literally shake themselves out of their cages...and then become hazards on the road.

Anyway, I hope they catch this guy. Hit and run is such a chickensh!t act.

Thx...Doug

JohnniO
    This is from the TDT website message board,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bike Patrol Director

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 am Post subject: Crash on Ina Reply with quote
    I was at the lead on tandem with my blind stoker as we came down Ina, with the pack behind us, drafting.

here is what I wrote last night, by E-mail to Richard Debernardis:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Bad Crash today at ~ 1000, Westward Look Drive on Ina

Richard,
    A quick e-mail to let you know that Scott and I were leading the pack that hit the car - we missed being hit by a foot or two - the pack were going 35 mph.

You need to know that I am a "material witness" to this crash, as I saw the traffic control person wave the car across without even checking for oncoming cyclists. This is important as I cannot imagine that a suit will not be filed over this . . .

I am thankful that we were not in the crash - the cyclist riding right behind us is in ICU at UMC, and I believe several more were transported there as well.

Rich

~~~~~~~~~~

I cannot believe how lucky we were, and even though we made it past, it REALLY scared us and shook us up badly - we stopped a little later to recover and settle down.

When we stopped, my stoker threw up he was so badly shaken up, and even though I did not, I was really shaken up myself. I knew I would have been dead or very severely injured if we had not made it past the car . . .

Rich
    Hugh Jacock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:39 pm Post subject: This Message will dissapear soon! Reply with quote
    Did you state you "saw the traffic control person wave the car across without even checking for oncoming cyclists"?

I predict this message will not last another 24 hours as this fact gets covered up ASAP!

No wonder no license plate number was taken...

I have to state that 99% of traffic control officers I saw did an outstanding job and I yelled my thanks for their work as I passed by.

I hope the 1 who made the mistake steps up and comes clean.

I also hope everyone involved recovers quickly.
    Bike Patrol Director

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:28 pm Post subject: Bad Crash on Ina - update Reply with quote
    Yes, I saw the traffic control person waving the car across, without looking up the road, where we (the pack) were coming at 35 mph (which is more than 50 feet per second).

I have found out that the man who is in ICU is from Phnx, and is being taken there, Sunday afternoon, as his wife is an RN.

Please say a prayer for his complete recovery, and for the hit and run driver to be found and prosecuted.
    cycling1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Or maybe cars need to drive into bikes less. Just a thought.

p.
    Touche, touche.

They do call them accidents for a reason though. Sometimes drivers don't take the appropriate care behind the wheel that they should. Many drivers of the elder age group shouldn't even be behind the wheel, I think this is why a lot of these type of accidents occur. I had a good friend and colleague who was flung off the side of the highway on his road bike by an elderly woman who was just merging over (onto the shoulder) to get off at her exit and had no idea she had even struck a bicyclist.

Perhaps avoiding the potential for these types of accidents through planning is more import than creating a high profile event in a densely populated area already plagued by roadway closures.

mtbr member
    damn, that sucks. i've been there {still am} please feel free to forward my e-mail to anyone who was hurt if they have any Q's about rehab, vocational or otherwise, or if they just need an atta-boy from someone who has been there. www.coconinocycles@yahoo.com there's allot of resources out there avalible to get you back on your feet. my best wishes. steve.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    The Mods need to clip the bit with the accident facts on all websites. This info is not supposed to be published as it can hurt the case of either/both the defendant and proscector and may allow a "witness" testimony to be ruled out since there is no way to prove it. And for the jerk that is the lawyer on here- I know what I am talking about as an event manager for one of the largest motorsports entertainment companies in the world so stfu and let the mods pull this. I would certainly hate to have eyewitness testimony against responsible parties declared unuseable. I have seen it happen and it can be tragic.

Prayers to all involved and lets hope the persons responsible get what is coming!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

In the rear with the beer
    I rode el tour this weekend and saw a lot of medical/emergency crews as they were finishing up (i wasn't going very fast). Looked like there were a few nasty wrecks along the way. This is probably the only one involving a vehicle, hence the headline. Pretty surprised there is no license plate, since i gotta imagine a number of riders had to come up on the accident while the guy was still there, unless they were all too focused on their times than on helping other riders (which tends to happen at some of these events). I was involved in a nasty crash 2 years ago and as we were sprawled across the pavement, riders behind us were yelling for us to get out of the way. Others, of course, got off their bikes and helped.
    I hope the riders involved heal up. My prayers are with them.
    I'd be really disappointed if it were true a traffic control person waived the car thru, since every one that I saw was doing a great job with the traffic. I was stopped at intersections more this year than ever before, but at least I felt generally safe on the course.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    That sucks! Hope everyone made it. Can't help but think that there should have been some better traffic control in place there. This seems to be an increasingly common story: group of roadies plowed by a car during a race. Maybe road cycling organizations need to rethink when and where to hold these races, and how to handle the traffic logistics in the name of safety. Just a thought... no offense intended. I don't know much about these races, just that they are becoming more popular and dangerous.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Or maybe cars need to drive into bikes less. Just a thought.

p.

JohnniO
    This is commonly the result of races on open courses, meaning they don't shut down the whole road, just the direction the race is going. On-coming traffic is live and in many cases deadly. In this case it seems on-coming traffic turned left in front of a pack. Even if cars don't turn in front of packs people cross the center line all the time. Veering to avoid a bottle, a crash or just inattention.

It can also be compounded by the number of riders. Normal USCF races are grouped by ability and are usually 50-100 riders. TDT is all skill levels together and probably 10 times the number of riders. It would seem that the better riders would be at the front and separated just by ability but you also have a lot of triathletes and mountainbikers that are strong enough to hang with a fast group but are less experienced in large packs at high speeds.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    The Mods need to clip the bit with the accident facts on all websites. This info is not supposed to be published as it can hurt the case of either/both the defendant and proscector and may allow a "witness" testimony to be ruled out since there is no way to prove it. And for the jerk that is the lawyer on here- I know what I am talking about as an event manager for one of the largest motorsports entertainment companies in the world so stfu and let the mods pull this. I would certainly hate to have eyewitness testimony against responsible parties declared unuseable. I have seen it happen and it can be tragic.

Prayers to all involved and lets hope the persons responsible get what is coming!

ooooooooooooooo!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    And for the jerk that is the lawyer on here- I know what I am talking about as an event manager for one of the largest motorsports entertainment companies in the world so stfu
    I am the jerk lawyer on here and you have no idea what you are talking about or what you are spelling about.

PS: Your comments confirm what I have always thought about event managers.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size Moderator
    LOL, you got a drive-by flame in a thread you weren't even in. Good job, Geoff! Next thing you know, they'll be invoking your name at war crimes trials.

p.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    LOL, you got a drive-by flame in a thread you weren't even in. Good job, Geoff! Next thing you know, they'll be invoking your name at war crimes trials.

p.
    It is amazing isn't it? In any case, your comments got me laughing so hard I almost puked. I can see the headlines now. "Jerk lawyer stoned to death for killing Jesus!"
    I AM JUST A JERK

pedaller
    I predict this will follow soon:

THERE IS NOW A ROYALTY FEE FOR DRIVE BY FLAMING ME IN YOUR POSTS!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    It is amazing isn't it? In any case, your comments got me laughing so hard I almost puked. I can see the headlines now. "Jerk lawyer stoned to death for killing Jesus!"
    let's not involve Jesus here.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I did check the finish times and they did make it. they did the 80 and finished well.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I saw no crashes. At 10:30 when it happened we were just getting underway. Just past where it happened I heard another rider commenting about what he thought was a crash. He must have seen some of the carnage. I guess I was busy watching the wheel in front of me. I am not sure if you deleted anything, but this is on the news (radio and TV) big time in Tucson. The injured guy is in a Phoenix hospital. They fear brain damage. This was on the local television news this morning.

I did notice some frustrated drivers. Honking their horn at other drivers. Some trying to get thru the riders. The traffic control seemed to be very good to me. With 8000 bikers it had to be a real nightmare. For traffic control and Cars. I would think that they would have less problems if they held this on Sunday.

I was in Tucson visiting this last weekend. My sister-in-law talked me into riding this race. I thought it was just a charity ride. I figured 66 miles on my mtb would be a good workout. I was surprised when I found the timing chip and realized this was also a race. After the first minute I started riding harder. It was fun passing every one going thru the wash. After forcing my way around all the roadies I was in full race mode. 3 1/2 hours on my Flux with full knobbies. What a workout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Update on the injured

My brother-in-law was critically injured during the El Tour de Tucson. He is currently in critical condition after having a craniotomy and dead injured brain tissue removed due to a severe subarachnoid hemorrhage. He is currently in a medically induced coma. I heard they have a suspect in custody and he will be placed in a line-up for identification. I hope they catch the guy...not to punish but to save someone else from going through what our family is going through right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    I rode ETDT and saw paramedics working on a girl who was on her back next to the road. She was on a backboard with neck brace. Me and at least several hundred riders had to dismount and hike a bike thru this area. Very clear to everyone passing this site was an obvious pool of blood about 12"x8". Between the girl on the backboard and the pool of blood it was a very, very bad thing to see. One of the news reports said the accident was on Ina Rd., but the place I saw the blood was Tangerine, I think. Either they're not reporting the accident on Tangerine, or they got the road wrong, or maybe I got the road wrong. In any case, really bad deal. IMO, the police officers that worked this event did an outstanding job, accidents notwithstanding.

Bob

Black and Sticky
    [QUOTE=sister-in-law]My brother-in-law was critically injured during the El Tour de Tucson. He is currently in critical condition after having a craniotomy and dead injured brain tissue removed due to a severe subarachnoid hemorrhage. He is currently in a medically induced coma.

So sorry to hear that dreadful news. All the best to your family and godspeed to your brother-in-law.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sister-in-law
    My brother-in-law was critically injured during the El Tour de Tucson. He is currently in critical condition after having a craniotomy and dead injured brain tissue removed due to a severe subarachnoid hemorrhage. He is currently in a medically induced coma. I heard they have a suspect in custody and he will be placed in a line-up for identification. I hope they catch the guy...not to punish but to save someone else from going through what our family is going through right now.
    That sounds bad.... The news said he had kids? You are to nice. I would be wanting punishment. Best wishes to you and your family and to a full recovery for your brother in law.

Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast