mtbr member

[xpost] The AZT near Snowbowl Rd [video]

Man we love this section of the AZT! If you haven't hit this you're overdue.

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

No mames guey
    Agreed, it is holding up really well right now to all the rain. There is a downed tree about .5 mile after the left turn onto the trail from Aspen Corner junction. It is about 7 feet high and hanging over the trail. A brah bro of mine didn't see it last Friday and ended up breaking his helmet.

mtbr member
    I thought I saw a rad Sprinter in town. Nice vid.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great Video!!

My brother is coming out from Chicago and that looks like the perfect ride...

Is this a loop trail and what is the best way to get back to the starting point?

Thanks
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Ahhh the pain....
    Actually, although it's not a ton of fun for most, you could park at Aspen corner, grip it and rip it as Patrick and wife did down to snow bowl road, then spin up the road to the car... if ya didn't shuttle it, that's probably the easiest.
    Great section of AZT...easily in my top 3 parts of the AZT. Great to hear it's holding up in the rain. Looking forward to ripping it with my fully loaded bp gear on the coco250!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    super sweet video! Thanks!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at View Post
    Great Video!!

My brother is coming out from Chicago and that looks like the perfect ride...

Is this a loop trail and what is the best way to get back to the starting point?

Thanks
    Thanks!

It's not a loop, and we always do it as an out-n-back. From Aspen Corner, it's mostly a descent. Of course that means that where ever you decide to turn around, it's mostly a climb. But it's not a bad climb. Sure, if you're like me, you'll be huffin' and puffin' on a few grades, but I'll take that abuse over any pavement climb.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Besides climbing Snowbowl Rd, there are three options to make a loop with that section of AZ trail. The longest is to to take hw89 to Hart Prairie Rd which is a gradual climb. When you get to the cattle pen you climb an old 4wd track to Aspen Corner. The one I do is to take Friedlien Prairie Rd for a short distance and climb Powerline Trail . Some call it Flying Fish but technically Flying Fish (RIP) ended at Viet Spring. When you get to Viet Spring you can either continue through the conservation area on some tame trails to the TH and then finish the climb on SB road. Or, the more fun option is to hang a left at the fence on a moto trail, cross SB Rd, cross AZ trail, and then make a right on Mace's Revenge. MR parallels AZ trail at a lower elevation and you can either hook into the upper end of AZ trail (0.5 mi or so below Aspen Corner) or catch some more singletrack over to Hart Prairie Rd and climb the previously mentioned 2-track from the cattle pen.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

Besides climbing Snowbowl Rd, there are three options to make a loop with that section of AZ trail...
    Thanks, rockman, for the loop suggestions.

To the poster asking about loops: When we ride it we either do it as (1) an out-n-back starting from the corner of Snowbowl Road or (2) a shuttle with one vehicle at the bottom of Snowbowl Road and then starting from FR418 farther north. The north section is a mellow climb and one of my favorite sections of the AZT -- especially now as we head into fall color season.

-db-

_____
    Jul 2007
    I've only ridden that trail once and I got to say it is my favorite trail of all time. I convinced my wife to shuttle me to snowbowl and she picked me up four hours later at the bottom of Shultz.

My thoughts are that the AZT from Snowbowl is best done at warp speed with stiff wheels and stiff frame.

Always in the wrong gear
    I attempted to ride this trail yesterday afternoon from Schultz to Snowbowl rd. Sadly the rain has made it a difficult ride, mud pockets swallowed my bike and there was constantly water running down the middle of the trail. I turned back about half way. I didn't want to do more damage. Hopefully it dries up quick, what I rode was fun minus what I mentioned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I attempted to ride this trail yesterday afternoon from Schultz to Snowbowl rd. Sadly the rain has made it a difficult ride, mud pockets swallowed my bike and there was constantly water running down the middle of the trail. I turned back about half way. I didn't want to do more damage. Hopefully it dries up quick, what I rode was fun minus what I mentioned.
    Yep. That what I experienced a couple weeks ago. The low spots really hang onto the water.