Master Gardener

... and if we just ... [SPAM] For Sale: Dog Leash

Red. Nylon. Handle for owner. Hook closure for dog. Lightly used.

Compatible with most dogs.

PM for details.

Greg

mtbr member
    hahahahhahahaha!

Meatbomb
    Don't need no stinkin' leash .

wretch
    This should be locked for being one of the best comebacks ever.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Red. Nylon. Handle for owner. Hook closure for dog. Lightly used.

Compatible with most dogs.

PM for details.

Greg

Hey, I ran into a guy today on the White Rock trail in great need of what your selling!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have one to sell as well. Can we put them together as a set?

I consider Prescott pooch friendly. I see dogs off leash ALL THE TIME up here and my only regret is that I don't take more time to stop to play with them. Personally, I don't see why people get all twitterpated about dogs being off leash. Maybe they're skeered a dogs. Seriously, the forest is full of snakes, bugs, spiders, lions, bears, javalina, deer, jackazz individuals and fortunately for us, a bunch of tail wagging domesticated dogs more likely to lick you than anything else.

Geeesh. Yet again...another primo example of a bunch of whining cry babies on mountain bikes...."yer doggies scare me.."

Edit...whoops...I replied to Rick's post. That wasn't directed at you, Mr. Rick.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker

I consider Prescott pooch friendly. I see dogs off leash ALL THE TIME up here and my only regret is that I don't take more time to stop to play with them. Personally, I don't see why people get all twitterpated about dogs being off leash. Maybe they're skeered a dogs. Seriously, the forest is full of snakes, bugs, spiders, lions, bears, javalina, deer, jackazz individuals and fortunately for us, a bunch of tail wagging domesticated dogs more likely to lick you than anything else.

Geeesh. Yet again...another primo example of a bunch of whining cry babies on mountain bikes...."yer doggies scare me.."

Edit...whoops...I replied to Rick's post. That wasn't directed at you, Mr. Rick.
    Rover (pun intended ) Just wait 'til one them leashless, flea-bitten mongrels takes a bite outta yer foot while yer JRA I like to kick em in the head before they git a chance to bite me

Just kidding, my biggest fear is running into and hurting a dog while riding. I've got mixed emotions about the whole leash law thing, my dogs love to run around crazy while going for walks until you get the ole-stinkeye from the old lady walking her 90 year old poodle! I have unfortunately been bitten by a off leash dog on a ride and it sucks yelling at the owner!

mtbr member

No offense Rover, but take the blinders off.

(oh, and by the way, I let my dog off leash too, and personally have no issues with dogs that are off leash.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    No offense Rover, but take the blinders off.

(oh, and by the way, I let my dog off leash too, and personally have no issues with dogs that are off leash.)
    I've been on rides with other guys when we've come across a well behaved pooch just sitting trailside as we passed only to hear a rider make a snide quip about the lack of a leash. It's one thing when someone's Scotty dog is ripping your new socks to rags, it's entirely different when somoene's well mannered dog just bounces by everyone happy as can be. What's the fuss? I don't get it. If anything, I hate it when I see a dog owner yank on a leash every time a rider comes into view.

mtbr member
    I've been on rides with other guys when we've come across a well behaved pooch just sitting trailside as we passed only to hear a rider make a snide quip about the lack of a leash. It's one thing when someone's Scotty dog is ripping your new socks to rags, it's entirely different when somoene's well mannered dog just bounces by everyone happy as can be. What's the fuss? I don't get it. If anything, I hate it when I see a dog owner yank on a leash every time a rider comes into view.
    So, your comment was based on one or two incidents?

Why some are afraid of dogs are varied I'm sure, and I don't think you or I have a right to question why somebody is afraid of a dog.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    So, your comment was based on one or two incidents?

Why some are afraid of dogs are varied I'm sure, and I don't think you or I have a right to question why somebody is afraid of a dog.
    I see this a lot here in p town...happy (well behaved) dogs off leash...so what.
    I know it's the law...we have speed limits too and no one seem to pay any attention to them...and IMO thats way more DANGEROUS!
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    I see this a lot here in p town...happy (well behaved) dogs off leash...so what.
    I know it's the law...we have speed limits too and no one seem to pay any attention to them...and IMO thats way more DANGEROUS!
    I love the "two wrongs make a right" excuse. Again, I have a dog, I let her offleash occasionally, but I have zero issue if somebody expects me to put her on a leash, for whatever reason (they want to be a dick, they are afraid, or whatever). I won't bad mouth them, because yes, it's the law...

Elitest thrill junkie
    a bunch of tail wagging domesticated dogs more likely to lick you than anything else.
    So every dog fits that criteria?

While some people may overreact in the other direction, the comments above make you look pretty dumb; claiming that all dogs behave the same and that all owners can control their dogs. Just because a mountain lion can maul you doesn't mean it's ok for someone's dog to maul you. I'm not really sure how your logic is working on this one, but I also rarely have problems with dogs on trails, although a few have followed me for a distance that I thought was a bit excessive, not that I really care if the dog can find it's way back to the owner, that's something they should have thought about. A few times I've needed to be a little more agressive and actually do something to try and harm the dog that is trying to (and even succeeding) bite my legs. Mind you that's only about 2 situations where I've had to do that, but claiming that it's "never a problem" based on your own experience is pretty lame. That would be like me claiming that there are no nice dogs and that every dog tries to bite me. That's obviously only indicitive of a certain percentage, and just because I've experienced one doesn't mean the other doesn't exist. As I said, most of the dogs I've met have been fine, but I'm not going to let someone's ill-trained/ill-breed dog ruin my ride and try to bite me.

I don't really have a big problem with people that let their dogs run off the leash, I always feel ready to do what I need to do if there's ever a problem. They basically will get what's comming if there's any problem. Not all people have the same mindset as me though and it might just be a little arrogent and rediculous to expect that all users should succomb to or be at the mercy of someone's dog. When it comes down to it, it seems a bit selfish, because letting the dog just run off the leash may be (in some situations) saying "screw everyone else, I want to do this (for my dog)". That's not really the principle that civilization is built on. You can't do "whatever you want".
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-08-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have 15 lb mixed breed that I normally keep off leash. She is well behaved enough that she normally stays at my side but if I need to get her attention all I have to do is snap my fingers a few times and she is on my heel. I keep a leash on me when I am walking her but on the rare occasion I need to keep control of her I just pick her up, problem solved. I have a snotty couple that lived a couple streets over from me that has given me the 3rd degree a couple of times. They walk their two dogs on a leash but claim their dogs do not like other dogs off leash. Of course as they told me this(from across the stree) as their dogs were loosin their freekin mind barking like crazy as the owners stood there and stared at me. Their dogs always go nuts when another dog goes by while they do nothing to correct their behavior. Every time they have lectured me(while their dogs went nuts) my dog stood 3 ft away from me and never once acted badly.

My dog is shy and doesn't normally get close enough to people to be a problem but beyond that is just not an aggresive dog. She doesn't like to chew her food let alone bite somebody........ I have also heard people complain about dogs damaging the areas they play in and my only argument to that is that I have never seen my dog or any others tear up any part of the associations property but I did chase two kids with their four wheelers out of the sand vollyball court last night. I don't understand why most KIDS are allowed off of a leash as my dog is much much better behaved them any of the kids I have seen lately.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    I hate dogs. Stupid dogs. STAY OFF MY LAWN!

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    I love the "two wrongs make a right" excuse. Again, I have a dog, I let her offleash occasionally, but I have zero issue if somebody expects me to put her on a leash, for whatever reason (they want to be a dick, they are afraid, or whatever). I won't bad mouth them, because yes, it's the law...
    your right and i do the same.

But I'm guessing that Roverbiker is basing this on life long experiences not just one or two incidents. but he did have to deal with bears off leash so dogs are nothing to him
    Last edited by befoot; 12-08-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem

While some people may overreact in the other direction, the comments above make you look pretty dumb; claiming that all dogs behave the same and that all owners can control their dogs. Just because a mountain lion can maul you doesn't mean it's ok for someone's dog to maul you. I'm not really sure how your logic is working on this one, but I also rarely have problems with dogs on trails, although a few have followed me for a distance that I thought was a bit excessive, not that I really care if the dog can find it's way back to the owner, that's something they should have thought about. A few times I've needed to be a little more agressive and actually do something to try and harm the dog that is trying to (and even succeeding) bite my legs. Mind you that's only about 2 situations where I've had to do that, but claiming that it's "never a problem" based on your own experience is pretty lame. That would be like me claiming that there are no nice dogs and that every dog tries to bite me. That's obviously only indicitive of a certain percentage, and just because I've experienced one doesn't mean the other doesn't exist. As I said, most of the dogs I've met have been fine, but I'm not going to let someone's ill-trained/ill-breed dog ruin my ride and try to bite me.

I don't really have a big problem with people that let their dogs run off the leash, I always feel ready to do what I need to do if there's ever a problem. They basically will get what's comming if there's any problem. Not all people have the same mindset as me though and it might just be a little arrogent and rediculous to expect that all users should succomb to or be at the mercy of someone's dog. When it comes down to it, it seems a bit selfish, because letting the dog just run off the leash may be (in some situations) saying "screw everyone else, I want to do this (for my dog)". That's not really the principle that civilization is built on. You can't do "whatever you want".
    Wow!... it must amazing to be as smart as you. Dude, it's a freaking public forum. I think it's out of line to call someone stupid for expressing his opinion, just because it differs from yours.

BTW I think Turners suck...

Master Gardener
    I do realize that the dog issue becomes MORE of an issue the more populated your area is. There are reasons I've chosen to live in a series of (kick-ass) small towns for the past 15 years, after all.

But I have to say, what sounds more stupid than anything else is people making a huge deal out of the trails-dogs issue. Last time I checked, we had much more grave matters to deal with as a nation.

Important things like... what's the best tire for northerncentralish western easterly Arizona?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I do realize that the dog issue becomes MORE of an issue the more populated your area is. There are reasons I've chosen to live in a series of (kick-ass) small towns for the past 15 years, after all.

But I have to say, what sounds more stupid than anything else is people making a huge deal out of the trails-dogs issue. Last time I checked, we had much more grave matters to deal with as a nation.

Important things like... what's the best tire for northerncentralish western easterly Arizona?

How about Kenda "Dawg Paws"....sorry, that was stupid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Dude, it's a freaking public forum.
    Really? Thanks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Zipper
    Interesting topic here so I was going to throw my two cents in, but with the economy the way it is I think its closer to .0002 cents.

Dogs are wonderful animals and I know a lot owners that re very responsible when it comes to having their dogs out on the trails.

However I cant help but think of all the news stories with the owner of the dog being quoted
    "My Dog Has Never Bitten Anyone Before"

There's my two cents for what its worth now watch out for that land mine attracting flies in the line
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

While some people may overreact in the other direction, the comments above make you look pretty dumb; claiming that all dogs behave the same and that all owners can control their dogs. .
    Oh Jayem. Leave it to you. Any plans to move out of town? Could we be so lucky?

My point is, up here in Prescott where the people aside from Jayem are friendly, we have dogs all over the place. The vast majority of them are just regular, garden variety dogs out to have a fun day in the woods. I was just commenting that on a few occassions some mountain bikers have made a stink of a dog being off leash when the dog wasn't causing a problem at all.

This isn't about leashes....it's about dogs. If a dog is so ill behaved it's chomping at your feet, ya, that dog not only needs a leash, it needs some training and the owner probably needs some instruction as well.

I don't think it's appropriate to take dogs on leash or off to all areas, but I also think some people really over react when they see a dog off leash. I think it's a reflection of city folk mentality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

but claiming that it's "never a problem" based on your own experience is pretty lame. ".
    Reading comprehension isn't your bag, huh? Did I say never? Nope.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The vast majority of them are just regular, garden variety dogs out to have a fun day in the woods.
    And this (prescott) is different than any other place?

I don't think it's appropriate to take dogs on leash or off to all areas, but I also think some people really over react when they see a dog off leash. I think it's a reflection of city folk mentality.
    A momentary lapse of reason? The only thing is that the opposite is just as true, some people paint the world to be all loveable-and-hugable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    And this (prescott) is different than any other place?

some people paint the world to be all loveable-and-hugable.
    It is a little different, yes. We don't have the throngs of trail users other areas have.

As for painting the world to be loveable, that's not something I would accuse you of. You seem to have an undeniable chip on your shoulder. That's gotta be a lot of fun.