Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EDR

Zoic Ether shorts vs. Jett Raptor?

If you've worn both I'd like to hear about your preference and why.

FWIW I'm 5'7 without shoes with shorter legs than torso (wear 30'' inseam jeans but could do 29'' if I ever found them). I occasionally wear KS knee pads but not so often that having a super long short is a huge priority. Looks like the Raptor shorts have a 11'' inseam vs. 12' on the Ethers. This may be too short for taller folks but should be ok for me. My board shorts measure a hair under 11'' from seam at crotch to bottom and fit great off the bike but ride up just tad too much when pedaling with knee pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I know you're asking for input from people who have worn both, but seeing as how you aren't getting any responses, I figured I would chime in.

I have two pairs of the Zoic Ether shorts in medium that I absolutely love. I'm 5'10", have a 32" pant inseam and the mediums fit me perfectly. I would think that the smalls would fit you just fine. Keep in mind, I wear the liner with the shorts (I know some people prefer to go sans liner). The Ethers have a wonderful pocket design with reinforced zippers all placed at the perfect angles. The right leg pocket even has a piece of cloth attached to a string on the inside that you can clean your classes with while out on the trail. Everything about the Ethers looks and feels extremely durable without sacrificing any comfort at all. The liner that comes with the shorts is very comfortable as well in my opinion.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the jett raptor, but I have a pair of Zoic Ether shorts and I like them quite a lot. They are not baggy, but not tight either. It's almost loose form-fitting I'd call it. Pockets are good, waterproof zippers actually work, and they have held up well to falls and normal use.

EDR
    thanks for the replies. I'm ordering a pair of Ethers. Heard nothing but good stuff about them. I can return them for free if they just don't fit me right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +1 on the Ethers. 6'0", 32" waist and the mediums fit just fine. Very durable. I think REI will have them on sale next week at $54.99.

b a n n e d
    Well to support your decision, I have a pair of Jett Raptor's that to be honest, I'm not thrilled with. The shell is actually pretty nice, but the liner is pretty much crap in my opinion. I'll keep the liner as a back up but buy a better chamois to use with the baggies.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Anyone else had problems with the zippers on their Ethers? It seems everyone above has had a great experience with them. The pair I have have less than a dozen rides on them and every zipper is failing. It seems the teeth have become misaligned and you now have to force the zipper open or close. When they're closed, the zipper now puckers unevenly and the slightest amount of pressure causes the zipper to pop open. Maybe I just got a pair that was made with a bad batch of zippers. Other than the zippers, they're one of the best fitting and performing baggies I've owned. As mentioned above, not extremely loose and not tight. I've had issues with snagging other shorts on the saddle, but these don't seem to be nearly as prone to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I personally haven't had any issues with the zippers on either pair of my Ether's. Like you said, maybe you just got a bad pair. Perhaps they'd work with you if you give Zoic a call. Worth a shot at least.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    +1 on the Ethers. . I think REI will have them on sale next week at $54.99.
    In store?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you actually find the Ethers in small? I have never seen them, nor seen them even advertised. Would love to get a set if they can be sourced.

I have both the Zoic and Jett padded under shorts. They are about the same, but Jett tend to work better with my physique. The Jett outers hold up OK, but have been nothing to write home about. I have used both the Lightening and the Raptors.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    In store?
    I would imagine so. I got a catalog in the mail last week and they were in there. Sale starts May 18.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    I would imagine so. I got a catalog in the mail last week and they were in there. Sale starts May 18.
    Awesome info, thks. I already ordered some but if I like them I'll pick up another pair at REI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i really like my raptors but they are honestly garbage. all of their clothes start to fall apart after a few washes. i also liked my zoics but i did have problems with the zippers and the velcro adj straps. i think both of these issues have been addressed in the new versions from what i have seen in the stores,,, but i havent wore the newer ones yet,, really cant go wrong with the ethers...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    i really like my raptors but they are honestly garbage. all of their clothes start to fall apart after a few washes. i also liked my zoics but i did have problems with the zippers and the velcro adj straps. i think both of these issues have been addressed in the new versions from what i have seen in the stores,,, but i havent wore the newer ones yet,, really cant go wrong with the ethers...
    I've had similar experiences with the Raptors. The liner has already started to come apart at a few seams, and I've had them for less than 6 months. The shell is still holding up fine though.

Master Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Lock View Post
    .... The Ethers have a wonderful pocket design with reinforced zippers all placed at the perfect angles. The right leg pocket even has a piece of cloth attached to a string on the inside that you can clean your classes with while out on the trail. ....
    Aha! That's what that tethered patch of cloth is for! Thanks, I'll have to give it a try on my glasses.

The Zoic Ether is my first mtb short and I like them a lot.

mtbr member
    I'm also trying out some Ethers for the first time.
    I am quite happy with them so far, yet I find the liner to get a bit "swampy"...
    They are very comfy, but any ideas to cool them off?

b a n n e d
    Mine should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to a direct comparison with the raptors. I really like the outer shell, but the liner sucks.

EDR
    Got my Ethers yesterday. They are very nice. Especially if you consider a decent chamois liner is 30 bucks at least, and these have a decent one as far as I can tell, then you are paying 25 bucks for a very very nice outer shell with lots of pockets and venting made from a great material. I paid at least $30 for my Fox Baseline shorts and they are utter crap in comparison. Simple things like only having a shoe string around the waist to snug them up make them cheap-o. That string digs in my sides.

Castle color is like wet concrete, Adj. waist is perfect. I'm diggin them. Length is great, crotch length is good. I posted a short review...no pun intended.

Master Taster
    Probably better asked as a new thread but since someone posted they don't like their Fox liners....

What padded liners (that are sold separately) do you like best?

b a n n e d
    Izumi Elite's are awesome. Spendy though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Izumi Elite's are awesome. Spendy though.
    Do you mean the spandex ones, not the baggies? I think the only Elitds they make now are the full spandex Elite In r Cool. I have three pairs of the old baggy elite versas, which I love. Can't find them anymore, but the Zoic Ethers are a close second.

EDR
    He's talking about the chamois liner I'm sure. Spandex. They look great but man are they expensive! If i was a dedicated road rider I'd be looking at those.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    , yet I find the liner to get a bit "swampy"...
    They are very comfy, but any ideas to cool them off?
    "Schweddy balls" ....ummmmm, so good at Christmas time.

Sorry if you can't connect the reference, I promise I'm not coming on to you

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can confirm the Ether in store at REI for $54.99. I picked up a pair yesterday and I'm thinking about going back and getting another.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    He's talking about the chamois liner I'm sure. Spandex. They look great but man are they expensive! If i was a dedicated road rider I'd be looking at those.
    Yes and I would not wear them without a pair of baggies over them. Hands down though, it really is the best liner I've ever worn and worth every single penny. The fit is comparable to a soft pair of feminine hands cradling your ba . . . errr, nevermind.

A lot of the complaints people have about them - primarily short useable life - come from roadies who don't wear anything over them. Using baggies dramatically extends their useable life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast