mtbr member

Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14

I'm looking for a bigger pack that can hold pads, lots of water, and gear for longer, 5-6hr backcountry-type rides. I dig the Osprey warranty, but am open to other suggestions, but am interested to know if anyone feels one way or another between these two.

Thanks!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I'm looking for a bigger pack that can hold pads, lots of water, and gear for longer, 5-6hr backcountry-type rides. I dig the Osprey warranty, but am open to other suggestions, but am interested to know if anyone feels one way or another between these two.

Thanks!
    My recommendation for 5-6 hour backcountry type rides would be the Raptor 14. It is about 8 oz lighter and has more organization compartments for all of the gear that you would normally carry on a backcountry ride. The Zealot is set up more as a "freeride" or enduro pack where you want to carry pads and a full face helmet sometimes. The materials are a little heavier as well. The Raptor 14 and Zealot 16 use the same 3 Liter reservoir and both come with the integrated tool pouch.

I work at Osprey so get a chance to ride with both of these styles frequently. If I am heading to Moab or a lift served ski area, the Zealot comes out. The Raptor is my go to pack for everything else because of the lighter weight and better organization layout.

mtbr member
    Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14-img-20140515-00744.jpg

I vote Raptor ~ ^^^ that is my 10, and the tool roll at the bottom of the pack is AWESOME. Puts all the heavier stuff at the bottom and leaves the main are free for whatever. Awesome!
    Oh and I crash tested it for you. This pack SAVED my back big time. Now my pack has little trail badges on it. After I hosed it off..let dry. The pack is fine..well little holes now but all good. This pack is back armour!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    hey that wheel looks kinda messed up

mtbr member
    Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14-img-20140515-00743.jpg

Yup, I ate trail taco :-(
    Now I'm becoming a master wheel builder! LOL

Also ~ The Raptor has great straps that adjust many directions to help keep a stugg but not tight fit..it dosn't jump around much adn in a crash..it stayed PUT. This is a good thing!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Glad to hear it kept you from looking like that wheel. I'll have to keep the Raptor in mind.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Funny how everyone is suggesting the Raptor, yet I'm more inclined toward the Zealot than I was when I posted. I have a Camelbak Mule and intend to keep using it. The Zealot packs pads a bit better, will hold my FF, has burlier material, and is the bigger of the two. I'm a tiny bit concerned with buying something too similar to the Mule, and don't mind extra weight...

mtbr member
    I have the Osprey Manta because I wanted a big pack that could hold all my pads, a jacket, my tools and 3L of water to boot. I chose the manta because it has the airspeed mesh that contacts your back so that you get nice airflow to keep you from overheating. I really love the pack, I use it all the time for short and long rides alike.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you cant really use the water pouch while biking, it bulges through the airspeed. You just need to put it in the main pocket and its no problem. Still plenty of room for all my crap.

mtbr member
    I have the zealot 16. It feels sturdier than the raptors. But for different purpose i suppose. Very spacious. I bought and returned the raptor 10. The zealot is significantly bigger. Sadly it feels less durable for some reason. Only a year I have to send it in to osprey. My buddies raptor is holding strong and hes owned it longer.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1surf View Post
    I have the zealot 16. It feels sturdier than the raptors. But for different purpose i suppose. Very spacious. I bought and returned the raptor 10. The zealot is significantly bigger. Sadly it feels less durable for some reason. Only a year I have to send it in to osprey. My buddies raptor is holding strong and hes owned it longer.
    So confused.... your first two sentences say that the Zealot is sturdier, yet you go on to say the Zealot is bigger, but less durable?

mtbr member
    sorry i should of been more specific and hope wasn't misleading the OP. Sorry.
    i was referring to the shoulder harness and belt hip strap being thicker and wider. Definitely wider hip belt so making it feel more sturdier on the hip support.
    The shoulder harness are more padded. i'd say maybe about half inch of padding. So that to me, makes it feel sturdier on the shoulders with the sternum strap buckled in.

The less durable part i am referring to is the side mesh pockets. I don't carry any sharp object or armor and it had torn a hole and seams began to unravel in certain spots.
    The elastic loops that hold the bladder hose down the shoulder harness and completely stretched out(basically no elastic tension to keep hose close to the harness). One benefit of the Raptors is that they come with zippered section to keep the hose down.

My friend's raptor on the other hand, been through abuse but no seams are broken and or holes. Except if a crash like Burt.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifying, jc1! I keep bouncing back and forth...

mtbr member
    Lol sorry that was my bad.

I decided on the zealot 16 for the extra storage room. If that one day I do have long rides 5+ hrs or so, i'd have a pack ready. Or if i venture somewhere new, i'd have a pack to carry few extra spares and clothes, kit, etc...I felt that I couldn't do that with the raptors. I've seen others that worked miracles with the rap14. I'm the "just in case" kinda person. Just in case i need to carry more things, i'd have room.
    Oh and not to mention, my gf rides with me sometimes so when we go on trails, i'd usually do the carrying....

but you get what i'm saying..really depends on what you might carry.
    Honestly, I think the zealot 16 is big. I have the M/L and i'm 5'7. But i know it'll come in handy when I carry xtra gears.

mtbr member

Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14

I went to my local REI with intentions of buying the Raptor, and brought my stuff to put in the pack so I can see what it's like. It was obviously roomier than my Mule, but with my knee, elbow, G-Form shin pads, gloves, and standard, every-ride kind of stuff, the bag sat pretty high off my back, and that's with no water or laters. They don't have the Zealot, so I went home and ordered on line.

I'll review it when I get some time on it... Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by kragu; 05-31-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I went to my local REI with intentions of buying the Raptor ... but with my knee, elbow, G-Form shin pads, gloves, and standard, every-ride kind of stuff, the bag sat pretty high off my back, and that's with no water or laters...
    Can you attach some of that to the outside of the pack? Like the cinches or the hanging from the front stretch pocket? I've never tried it, just throwing it out there.

Hope the Zealot works for you.

mtbr member
    Hay OP, how's the zealot working out? I'm just wondering which size did you order, the S/M or M/L.? I having my zealot 16 replaced and not sure if i should request the S/M.

i'm not that tall 5'8" just not sure if 2L difference is significant.

mtbr member

Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14

This is a big ass pack. I ordered the M/L, but if I was smaller, I'd probably size down.

Edit: this is the OP...temporary name change due to a miscommunication in the me change thread...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    nice. were you able to get all your gears in there nicely? ya i measured my spine and it came out to 17.5 and the S/M is 16"-19" and M/L is 18"-20"...
    prob not worth loosing 2L overthis small measurement huh? I'd just gotta suck it up and enjoy the pack.

29er for the Soul
    (Ping)

SC Vanguard AKA Kragu,

Check your PMs.
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does the Raptor 14 have a dedicated place to carry armor on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    (Ping)

SC Vanguard AKA Kragu,

Check your PMs.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_orlick View Post
    Does the Raptor 14 have a dedicated place to carry armor on?
    Not so much. There's the main zip, then the compression area, but it's not really the shape I was looking for. The Zealot fits everything in its compression area and distributes it wide, rather than up away from your back.