Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Worst Gear

mtbr member

Your Worst Gear

Ok, what's the worst gear you've ever been cursed with having to deal with, either bought, found, or been given. What are those sorry pieces of crap on the market our fellow riders should avoid?

For me it's gotta be Addidas Campus sneakers. Great for casual walking around but on flats with pins they rip up fast and are only slightly more comfortable than bamboo under fingernails.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    all dakine gloves.
    none of them fit correclty, they are either too tight, too loose, too long too short.
    the two pairs i got that seem to fit correctly never really felt good and the stiching started falling apart after two days ride(no crash).
    i got the same kind of results with their winter gloves also.

Dakine make good stuff(backpakcs for example) but their gloves are the worst crap IMO
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    The soles of my Six Six One Filter shoes do not grip very well on flat pedals. My feet slipped off so many times and almost caused a serious injury. The rest of the shoe is nice and comfortable, but the soles are poor compared to Five Ten shoes.

mtbr member
    ^^ True dat! 5 10 Sam Hill's rule, but that's a different thread.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Competent User

Your Worst Gear

Fox Ranger shorts liner. Avoid!

troll
    I generally love Endura gear, but the snap-in chamois liner shorts that come with the Hummvee's are total crap. Feels like a diaper, and way too much padding up front in the junk area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    all dakine gloves.
    Dakine make good stuff(backpakcs for example) but their gloves are the worst crap IMO
    I've had a pair of Dakine Sentinels for the past year, never lost so much as a stitch, fit me just fine.
    On the other hand, I've never really had a memorably bad experience with gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Walking out like a boss..

Name:  tones.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  31.4 KB
    This guy has.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Fox Ranger shorts liner. Avoid!
    Yeah, Fox Altitude liner would probably be my choice. The outer shorts are fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Padded shorts/tights from Aldi or Lidl.....cheap for a reason (ouch).
    However, their tops & jackets are cheap & excellent quality.
    2011 Hardrock Sport Disc
    1996 Rockhopper Comp

Give it a crank
    Teflon-coated shift cables, the ones with a dark coat of teflon that slowly puverizes and seizes. After it mixes with dirt and does its self-destructive job, you also have to replace the clogged cable housing.

Tip: always use stainless cables.

pin it
    I wish there was more woman-specific gear. I usually end up purchasing gear (clothing, body armour etc) that is ill-fitting but it's the only thing available at the time... I've had to either return or give away items, (knee/shin pads, shoes, jerseys, shorts)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

beater
    I had a pair of Jett shorts that seamed kind of flimsy and blew out a seam. On the other hand, since then, I've read nothing but raves on here about Jett and their customer service. Maybe I should try to find them and contact Jett, but I feel kind of odd complaining about a pair of shorts that died 2-3 years ago.

I seem to accumulate helmets. I have a Giro Xar and an Urge Endur-O-Matic, and I'm not thrilled with either. I think I'll try a Bell Super and see how that fits me.

Dakine gloves don't fit me either. I've had better luck with TLD and Royal.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Club Ride jersey - I've never had a shirt get so many loose threads after just a few rides. And the fabric does not dry or wick. If it gets wet it feels like wearing a nasty wet towel. Not sure who thought that using that fabric was a good idea for mtb gear. None of my cheapo jerseys even have that problem. Considering the price it was a huge disappointment and qualifies for worst gear ever.

Not just banging on CR, because I have the Club Ride shorts and they are awesome.

Competent User
    That's funny. I just got a Club Ride jersey, and I really like it. I've only had it on a couple rides though, and I sweat like a faucet, so I guess I'll see what happens.

On the other hand, I bought a pair of Jett Raptors, and after three rides, they split a seam on the front. I contacted them, and it took a few weeks, but they sent me a new pair of 2013 shorts. They couldn't replace the color I had, but offered me my choice of black or grey. I said grey, but they sent black. Oh well. Nice shorts, and they took care of me. I was only a couple months out though.

beater
    That's exactly where my Raptors blew out, too. I guess I really should contact them

I'm a fan of CR jerseys, and am also a bit surprised to read that. I have three (managed to find them all on sale or discounted). I generally wear them in dry conditions (intermountain west) so I guess I can't comment too much on moisture, beyond sweating. They handle that fine for me. Haven't had any durability issues since fall. I have several friends with a year+ on theirs.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Yeah I really wanted to like the CR jersey because they look great - they just didn't perform for me at all.

mtbr member
    O.K. new rule, no reading Playboy if wearing the Jett Raptor shorts.

troll
    Haven't had any problems with my CR "new west" jersey/shirt. I don't do any hard riding in it, though. I mostly wear it for laid back bike path jaunts, or bike n' beer / pub crawl type rides. Wish they were just a bit cheaper in price, though!

mtbr member
    Price Point short liners. I've had them for about 3 weeks now and no matter how hard I try, these things are just awful. They were on sale for $10, figured what the heck how bad could they be for $10? Let me tell you, the sizes run way small, the leg grippers rip all the hair off you legs, the chamois is just thick enough to be uncomfortable while off the bike, but thin enough to not give any comfort while on the bike. Wish I'd have put an extra $7 and bought the Nashbar short liners, MUCH better product.

Price Point does many things well but short liners aren't one of them.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Your Worst Gear

I think the zipper and buttons on fox shorts are a joke.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Fox gloves, never held up good for me. The closure always comes apart. I've had a set of Dakine's all last season and threw them in my pack for extra's in spring. I have had a set of fox's that were free from a friend and they are already falling apart. 2nd ride the closure was falling apart already!
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    A few years ago anything from Sombrio was a joke, gloves lasted a ride or two. Riding jersey and shorts were crap. I do however have 2 pairs of their shoes and I quite like them.

turtles make me hot
    Funny... As I read the title to this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was a pair of Dakine gloves I had for a VERY short time.
    The stitching started letting go on the very first ride.
    I wear Troy Lee now. They're solid performers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Kali Knee Pads

Just about any stitch on them has failed and had to be re-sown.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast