mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Your pogie experiences?

I ride year 'round, my hands get cold easily and thick gloves make me angry. So i figure I'm an excellent candidate for pogies. A quick online shopping trip gave me options from around $40 to more than four times that. I'm curious what others have experienced with various styles and brands so please post up your story.

I'd love to try to craft my own custom pogies but i've got too many kids to have free time so that just isn't gonna happen. If I want pogies, i'm buying pogies. I ride SS so my bars are un-junked-up. Also, my bars are easton xc-wide flat bars (non-alt bars). i don't ride in the rain on purpose (can't help it if I get caught in a sudden downpour but won't go out in the rain) so waterproof isn't critical. I think all of that means my options should be pretty good.

thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm using a set of Bar Mitts, I'll use them when the temp's get under the low 50's. My hands get cold easily also and the Bar Mitts definitely make a big difference, I can ride comfortably into at least the low 40's with just my normal biking gloves. Haven't tried colder temps yet.

There are certainly pogies, especially the insulated ones, which would be even warmer - these fit the bill for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    +1 for Bar Mitts. There are warmer ones out there I'm sure, but I ride down to -10C with regular full-finger biking gloves.

AZ
    banned
    Have used the Bar Mitts in temps down in the mid teens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Moose Mitts with summer gloves are toasty warm down to as cold as I like to ride in the winter (around 0 degrees F)

mtbr member
    I have a couple pairs of Moose Mitts and just got a pair of Dogwood's. I used the Moose Mitts last year with great success down to 15* with wind without any issues at all. I'm sure they would perform just as well in colder temperatures I just didn't ride in those conditions last year. I haven't used the Dogwood's yet but hope to soon. I didn't need the Dogwood's I just always wanted a pair to try out.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    any body tried moose mitts AND bar mitts to offer a comparison? they look comparable so i may just use price/availability to pick one over the other.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of $15.99 ATV Mitts from Amazon. Simple, no frills, but work great! I rode all winter on my pugs fat bike and never even needed to wear anything on my hands more than a knit liner glove(like those stretchy 3 for $1 thingys). My favorite frame bag place(Revelate Designs) started making pogies last month and I really want to get a pair for the extras like mesh & zips for carrying things but my $15 ones work so dang well as is that I can't bring myself to spend the cash!
    BTW-I have Jones Loops and they are completely covered and usable at all the hand positions and shifters.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm leaning towards Bar Mitts since they look to be the shallowest. Being neoprene has anyone found that snow blows into them and melt creating pools of water?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I have a pair of $15.99 ATV Mitts from Amazon. Simple, no frills, but work great! I rode all winter on my pugs fat bike and never even needed to wear anything on my hands more than a knit liner glove(like those stretchy 3 for $1 thingys). My favorite frame bag place(Revelate Designs) started making pogies last month and I really want to get a pair for the extras like mesh & zips for carrying things but my $15 ones work so dang well as is that I can't bring myself to spend the cash!
    BTW-I have Jones Loops and they are completely covered and usable at all the hand positions and shifters.
    Do you have a picture or link for the specific ones you have? I'd like to get a pair sometime, but wouldn't want to spend too much as I'd only use them a handful of times each year.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I decided to go with the Moose Mitts and I've been really please so far. the lowest temp's I've tested them in so far have been right around the freezing point or just below. With only thin/summer full finger gloves on underneath my hands stayed super comfy. Even though i don't usually ride in wet conditions, I rode for a while in freezing rain since the trails were solid and my hands felt great. I did notice that some of the rain was running down my jacket sleeves and into the cuff of the Mitts but it didn't go so far as to cause any discomfort or loss of warmth.

I have not yet had a crash where i needed to get out of the mitts in a hurry but i don't anticipate that being a problem. my hands slip right out. The bigger problem is gettin my hands back in quickly. i didn't realize how often i let go of the bar for a split second to wipe my nose, sip my camel back, etc until i mounted up the Mitts. Getting my hand out is simple but getting back in when i need instant access to the brakes or to steer has been a little clumsy. I think i'll get better at it and it hasn't been terrible but it's about the only drawback i could think of so i figured i'd share.

one other note, the Mitts say they work best with bar ends and the elastic cord inside is designed to wrap around the bar end. i don't run bar ends so i tucked the cord into the open end of my bars and then popped one of those little bar-end-cap-plug-thingies into the bar to hold the cord tight. works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have these $23 one from Amazon. They work fine into the teens. They're lined with some sort of synthetic pile. The only issues with them are - the bar parts are long - going almost all the way to the stem on a 660mm bar, so it can be tricky to use lights with them -- I have used zip ties to hold the medial ends in place further out on the bar. Other than that, no complaints.

Amazon.com: Kolpin 92185 Black Geartector Mitts: Kolpin: Automotive

mtbr member
    I just bought these a couple weeks ago for $16 and change,

Amazon.com: Kwik Tek ATVM-B, ATV Hand Protector Mitts (Black): Sports & Outdoors

so far perfect down into the low teens here. Not great as inner in a plastic type shell (feels like a stiff trash bag) but I already have full finger Bontrager softshell gloves and the mix works amazing. Thin but effective insulation, wind and water proof so far. Only thing that annoys me because I dont wear a thick jacket, is they tend to sit funny as there is nothing holding it on the bar ends. I intend to fix that with a bit of epoxy, screws nuts and spare bar end caps I have. Looks like most are this way though. Can use my brake and shift levers perfectly which is awesome.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    holy crap ! I have just decided to get some type of mitts, and seen the prices.

bike specific ones are very expensive for what amounts to a flap of fabric.
    atv/cabelas 'junk' type are wicked cheap, and ....they all do the same job!!!

so...el'cheapo ATV style for me...15 bucks vs 69-99 bucks !!! wow what a disparity

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Dogwood Designs PLUS Pogies!

1) Yes they're expensive, but I ride a lot.
    2) I only use standard cycling gloves underneath, and have been fine to -30*F wind chills so far. Don't use them above 32*F. You will be too hot.

Cycle Psycho
    Are bar mits and pogies like clipless pedals? I mean, are your hands "clipped in" and hard to remove from the grips fast? I worry about falling with my hands stuck to the bars.
    BIKES!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use bar mitts on the winter commuter, a rockhopper. They work well, just need thin fleece glove. I have large hands, so the brake/ shift stuff gets a little crowded but workable.