mtbr member
    Mar 2014

XXXL Trail Helmets

Hi everyone,

As my riding is getting more serious every day, I thought I'd invest in a more high end trail helmet, but I've forgotten about just how big my head was and how difficult it was for me to find a helmet in the first place. I'm currently using some commuter helmet from Abus which has a size of 62-65CM. I've searched the internet and asked around my LBS, but they couldn't come up with anything. The only two helmets that have fitted me so far are a Specialized Maxi (which doesn't really interest me because it is essentially the same grade of helmet as my Abus) and a Bell XLV, which ended up giving me a bad headache after about an hour of riding. I seem to have tried everything from POC, Giro, Fox, Specialized and Scott with no results.

So would anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a higher grade helmet and I'm willing to spend up to 150 for one.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PauliusA View Post
    Hi everyone,

As my riding is getting more serious every day, I thought I'd invest in a more high end trail helmet, but I've forgotten about just how big my head was and how difficult it was for me to find a helmet in the first place. I'm currently using some commuter helmet from Abus which has a size of 62-65CM. I've searched the internet and asked around my LBS, but they couldn't come up with anything. The only two helmets that have fitted me so far are a Specialized Maxi (which doesn't really interest me because it is essentially the same grade of helmet as my Abus) and a Bell XLV, which ended up giving me a bad headache after about an hour of riding. I seem to have tried everything from POC, Giro, Fox, Specialized and Scott with no results.

So would anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a higher grade helmet and I'm willing to spend up to 150 for one.

Have you tried the Giro Hex in an XL size? It fits up to 65 cm. Mine fits my size 7-7/8 to 8 head very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale View Post
    Have you tried the Giro Hex in an XL size? It fits up to 65 cm. Mine fits my size 7-7/8 to 8 head very well.
    I'm not sure if I did, just tried on the largest giro helmets at my LBS. I'm slightly worried about the sizing of the Hex though, it says that it fits anything from 58 to 65 so that might mean that it won't be wide enough for my head as it's quite wide as well. Add to that the fact that all of the online shops stopped ordering these in XL after 2013 for some reason :/.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PauliusA View Post
    I'm not sure if I did, just tried on the largest giro helmets at my LBS. I'm slightly worried about the sizing of the Hex though, it says that it fits anything from 58 to 65 so that might mean that it won't be wide enough for my head as it's quite wide as well. Add to that the fact that all of the online shops stopped ordering these in XL after 2013 for some reason :/.
    Hmm, the sticker inside my Hex XL lists the size range as 61 - 65 cm. So does the size box on the Giro website where you can order one directly from them.

When I was looking for a new helmet last spring, none of the largest ones I tried on at my favorite LBS were big enough. However the lady who handles the helmets there contacted Giro directly to find out what was the largest helmet they made. Giro told her it was the Hex XL so she ordered a couple to stock and for me to try out. I had been using Giro Atlas helmets for several years previously. The sticker inside them specify a range of 59 - 63 cm and they just fit my head side-to-side with hardly any play. The Hex is significantly wider than the Altas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Having the same problem. All makers of helmets seem to have a 65cm max, xl or xxl. For myself my situation is made even more difficult, I have dreads. Now I do wear my hair in a ponytail and there lies the problem, getting the back to go over back. I'll be willing to pay for a special made helmet, I need at least an 8-1/2..for the ponytail. So if anyone has any suggestions..other than cut my hair..I've tried all helmets mentioned and now using a Specialized don't remember model.