Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 524
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! XPE Helmet light

    I have had these Q5 XPE for a couple of weeks now and have been wondering what to do with them . I did think about using 4 with a dual MCE light .

    Then rummaging around in the warehouse of the place I work I came across this aluminium curtain rail thingy so borrowed an off cut for research .

    Znomit did a build using a similar extrusion

    After attacking it with a measure and looking at the spec for the carclo 10 mm square optics . it was made for this build I think.

    now which build is going to be the best











    It has come to the point when it is the driver that takes up most space so thinking the maxflex can go live in with the battery
    Last edited by troutie-mtb; 01-08-2009 at 10:36 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    134
    Second one i think,a bit more usable area to heatsink perhaps?
    Also you might be able to lense it like a seca or have a high/low setup without it looking uneven.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NEstinkyrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    189
    My nod goes the horizontal configuration, especially after seeing that side angle shot with the helmet. Very low-profile, looks great.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    131
    Looks very clean and nice, but I too am pretty sure you need more cooling. Remember it will have to dissipate about 15W it you are driving them at 600mA. I was surprised how hot the XP-E got even when properly heatsinked. I had it on a 450g copper heatsink and still it would get burning hot when you pressed your finger on top of it.

  5. #5
    aka RossC
    Reputation: ocean breathes salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by gillestugan
    Looks very clean and nice, but I too am pretty sure you need more cooling.
    +1

    I am sure you already have some ideas but a slug between the two halves of the curtain rail and some old computer heat sinks on the ends might be feasible.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    It is still in the thinking stages and I like the low profile look
    what it needs is an aluminium peak on the helmet ..

    yep @ 500ma it warms up pretty quick

    will have to wait and see what the optics are like when they arrive before the final light is decided

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    109
    I'm also considering building a bigger version of the Pipe Light using the next size up pipe fiitting to be able to put 9 XPE's driven 3 parallel in series fed by a maxflex.
    My problem is there are no dimensional drawings on the Cutter website of the 10mm MCPCB to tell me if the indentations on the pcb are made for the Carclo 10412 etc lenses to fit over or do the legs of the lens fit into the two holes of the pcb.
    Can anyone confirm or post the correct dimensions please.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    724
    I cant wait to see this build! 8 of them you really are mad! I was thinking of using 3 and doing a 1/2 scale achesalot build. I am sure you will post some sort of beam shot since you always do. I hope the 10mm squares are nice. Any plans to try any of the other xp-e optics? The khatod .5" x 1.5" strip looks like it could be trimmed down to 10mm.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,693

    With a few well placed cuts you could bend it to match the curve of the helmet.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by formantjim
    My problem is there are no dimensional drawings on the Cutter website of the 10mm MCPCB to tell me if the indentations on the pcb are made for the Carclo 10412 etc lenses to fit over or do the legs of the lens fit into the two holes of the pcb.
    Can anyone confirm or post the correct dimensions please.
    Looking at the data sheet for the 10412 optic the legs just sit around the 10 mm board .
    I cant see them going into any of the indents as there are only 2 opposing each other.


    Bikerjay.
    You are indeed correct in your analysis

    The final build will depend on what the beam looks like from these wee beasties
    I have ordered the 10417 I did not notice the 10412 had a better efficiency

    Beam shots will be posted when they are here
    No plans yet to try any other optics


    Znomit

    Nice idea but could look a bit messy
    but it may be 2 * 3 XPE fitted to the helmet peak

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    934
    This is really interesting....those things look tiny!! Should be interesting to see what you can come up with Chris

    I reckon I could modify my housing to get, maybe, 6 of those in...without too much trouble. How could they be driven??
    Intense 6.6

  12. #12
    aka RossC
    Reputation: ocean breathes salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    what it needs is an aluminium peak on the helmet ..
    Or and aluminium helmet!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta
    This is really interesting....those things look tiny!! Should be interesting to see what you can come up with Chris

    I reckon I could modify my housing to get, maybe, 6 of those in...without too much trouble. How could they be driven??
    I am very undecided at the moment Steve..

    hell only 6 in your housing
    I just had a look and 14 would squeeze in
    but 12 would be realistic and a maxflex or hipflex to power them



    Oh that is the shotblasted and anodised one


    Or you could go 9 xpe and the 20 mm triples Now that could be something Else .
    A bit less heat than 3 mce and maybe a better beam

  14. #14
    removing nudity
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,192
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Or you could go 9 xpe and the 20 mm triples Now that could be something Else .
    A bit less heat than 3 mce and maybe a better beam
    But isn't the best angle for the 20mm triple a half angle of 18 degrees, ie total angle of 36 degrees? That makes it more of a flood. No joy with sourceing small quantities of the Polymer Optics range?

    On another note Chris, I took the beast out on Wednesday night for the first ride. 38 showed up for a social ride but we were back at the pub before it was truely dark so didn't get to use it. Video this week I promise

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    934
    Chris,
    Holy cow...14?? Really?? That would be good! I like the sound of the 3 triples with the 20 mm optic...I think I'll do a bit of research...they could well fit straight into the housing.
    Steve
    Intense 6.6

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    Optics arrived today

    Here you go Steve 14 fit easy




    Boy are the tiny devils it is going to be like brain surgery this build.



    not dark yet

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054

    The Compulsery ceiling shots

    I have cobbled a test rig up for some beamshots .

    have I mentioned they are darn tiny things .

    one single XPE and Carclo 10417 narrow beam very small thing
    the tapes are 1 mtre long and 2.2 metres from the microscopic light



    and this is 4 of the little beggers ,



    when it gets proper dark I will wander out and get a shot on my test trail with these
    nano lights

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    134
    Nutter!
    Thats more like it!
    Perfect light my arse!
    Tommo.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    934
    Bloody Hell....That would be some kinda light!!

    Are you going to have a go at doing all 14?? I reckon you should But the wiring might be interesting

    I think there are going to be some VERY small lights coming out of the TroutShed soon..

    Keep up the good work Chris
    Intense 6.6

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta
    Bloody Hell....That would be some kinda light!!

    Are you going to have a go at doing all 14?? I reckon you should But the wiring might be interesting

    I think there are going to be some VERY small lights coming out of the TroutShed soon..

    Keep up the good work Chris

    I have only got 8 XPE s so need to maximise what I do with them at the moment I have so many ideas I would need 100 to play with.

    ref the small lights I just wish you lived nearer I would like to get together and design something really radical I think these are to small for my manual lathing skills and crap mini mill.

    these things are small enough to put on your glasses never mind helmet.

    There is more wow factor from these than the MCE and 4 XPE with these 10 mm optics are IMHO better than 1 mce and boom reflector .

    ok on to the rather rushed beam shots I struggled a bit because the optics were not fixed and just sat on the leds.

    I tried to cover 2 leds up here so this is 2 up



    this was a bit easier to do the 4 up



    I have to say these shots do not do the these justice and I am very impressed with the performance for such a tiny package.
    there is no wasted light out the sides it all goes into the beam

    I think if you put 4 or 6 lined up on a helmet peak as tiny seperates you could taylor the perfect helmet light

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    131
    The hotspot looks very similar to the boom SS in the wall beamshot. But then there is much less spill.

    Ooo, I want, I want, I want! They look so good when placed in a row like you have done. And the optics are also very shallow, so you will have much more room behind them for drivers and stuff. (if placed in a housing)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by gillestugan
    The hotspot looks very similar to the boom SS in the wall beamshot. But then there is much less spill.

    Ooo, I want, I want, I want! They look so good when placed in a row like you have done. And the optics are also very shallow, so you will have much more room behind them for drivers and stuff. (if placed in a housing)

    As you may have gathered I am very excited by these and will have to endure a few hours in my freezing garage to come up with a housing .

    These are the Q5 s so the R2 will be a bit brighter but as you see with only 4 they throw to the trees at the back which are 75 mtrs away where the single boom struggles to get half that distance .

    Watch this space there is something really cool on the drawing board but will need Deesta`s CNC to do it justice , if he is willing and able to help

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    As you may have gathered I am very excited by these and will have to endure a few hours in my freezing garage to come up with a housing .

    These are the Q5 s so the R2 will be a bit brighter but as you see with only 4 they throw to the trees at the back which are 75 mtrs away where the single boom struggles to get half that distance .

    Watch this space there is something really cool on the drawing board but will need Deesta`s CNC to do it justice , if he is willing and able to help
    75 Meters of throw! ( 246ft.) Duh....I'm speechless. A six or eight setup could make a nice compact helmet light. Can't wait to see what the commercial bike light builders will do with these.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    724
    WOW

    I have to put the electronics with a remote switch now. There will not be any room for the electronics even in a well cooled light.

    Now I am really wondering, will a 5up 35mm be any good, it could easily be retrofitted to every ones 35mm cutter kits.

    Even the amoeba will soon see portly. Also this has got me wondering about the 20mm round triple, could make for some great dinotte style lights.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    934
    Willing...yes!! Able....depends on what it is
    Intense 6.6

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •