Thread: XC Shoes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XC Shoes

I am running SPD pedals on my XC bike and currently have Shimano MT43G shoes that weight just over 840grams. After seeing some of the other shoes out there I have noticed I could easily shave 100-200grams by getting something lighter yet still be able to walk on the uneven trail surfaces.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Trying to stay under $140 and it must be SPD compatable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nobody? I know there are alot of XC riders with clips out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have some Giro Guage which I like. They are around 345 grams and have pretty stiff carbon outsoles. On sale at Jenson. Giro Gauge MTN Shoe 2012 > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Men's Footwear | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop. I also have some Specialized Rime which are a bit heavier but very comfy and have vibram soles which are like hiking boots. They are more expensive but great if you have to get off and walk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How are the Gauges with traction? Looking for something that wont slip on the loose dirt and rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not the best for traction, but I'm really happy with the Sidi Giau. This is their 'cheap' model, but I've been using one pair for 4-5 years now, riding road, MTB and cyclocross with them. I used to be a dedicated singlespeeder, so did my fair share of hike a bike, and they also work fine for run ups in 'cross. They are no hiking shoe, but work OK as long as you don't actually plan to hike a mile or two. 688 grams a pair, and easily found on sale within your price range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mavic has some models that are in your price range and use a contagrip outsole material. Quite a good grippy material. Same as used on Salomon shoes. All owned by the same company Adidas, Saloman, Mavic Arcteryx and probably others.

The Mavics I bought this summer are working well. Not race shoe stiff so it is easier to walk and the sole is not only grippier than other shoes I have used but the heal is flatter and more broad too. But the insole, like many other shoes is crappy. I need a high arch support and almost always need Superfeet or something like that in my riding shoes. Shimano and Specialized seem much better in that regard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XC Shoes

I don't really dismount that often but when I do it's usually on unstable climbs.