Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005

XC race shoes..what do you like?

I'm looking for some new clipless shoes, for xc racing. Looking for something stiff and light, like a road race shoe with some lugs on the bottom. I like the Mavic Fury, but the bright yellow doesn't do it for me. Any suggestions for a good shoe that doesn't cost a small fortune? I'm currently riding with Pearl Izumi, and they fit well, but flex a lot, and they have three velcro straps that I can't get to stay tight.
    Something lightweight, stiff carbon sole, and more secure than velcro straps, is what I'm looking for.
    I used to use Sidi dominators back in the day, but they were narrow, and I never liked the toe box. My feet grew out of them, and it seems like Sidi shoes are crazy expensive for anything with a carbon fiber sole. I can't justify $400+ for mtb shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm in the same boat for new XC race shoes. I love my dominators and have been riding them for so long my small toe is sticking out a huge hole in the side. Time for new ones and the PI project X shoes will probably be it. I like to be able to walk around the race venue without clacking too much, and climbing out of heinous crash sites is a pain in carbon slippers.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try a bunch of shoes, buy your favorite.

I'm happy with my Specializeds.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mavic Fury come in solid black too.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Mavic Fury come in solid black too.
    Yeah I know, but I can't justify the price difference between the yellow and the black ones.

So, I just bought a pair of the Mavic Fury in yellow off the ebay, for $140. The black ones are $260.
    I'll see how good the fit is, and maybe I'll get over the color, lol.

mtbr member
    Specialized are supposed to have wider toe boxes than average.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Specialized S-Works EVO. Amazing shoe. I had the Sidi Dragon 2s before and the S-Works blow them out of the water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have Bontrager RXL's with the carbon sole - really nice shoes, super stiff and comfortable + a wider toe box than SIDIs

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 for specialized shoes. They nailed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wanted Shimano based on reviews posted here. However, they were too narrow in the toe area. Got the Bontrager RL and am very happy with them. Stiff and comfortable.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I didn't like the fit of Shimano shoes, and didn't think they were stiff enough either. I liked the fit of the Bontrager shoes, but thought they were pretty hefty.

Big Boy
    how about the pearl izumi x project?

You know that you like the pearl fit. They look nice. Super light. ratchet strap. stiff on the pedal, flex for walking.

Quick Review: Pearl Izumi’s X Project 1.0 Green ‘Cross/XC Shoe - Bike Rumor
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Fat & Single
    Im actually interested in those X-projects too.

My fav shoes are Lake, hard to get at the moment but awesome shoes. Currently riding a pair of SIDI Dragon 3's.... meant to be the best available, i'll take a pair of mx331 lakes anyday. Just ordered the Lake Mx236's and will eBay the SIDI's.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ozzybmx

what do you think of the dragon 3? Durability etc? I just ordered a pair

Fat & Single
    I hope you have skinny feet ?

I ordered a size bigger than i usually wear, 44 instead of 43 in all other shoes but they are still fine fitting, the 43's didnt get a look in.

Apart from fitting, the soles wear really fast, the leather/synthetic uppers is as delicate as real skin and they pick up every bush and blade of grass you ride past

I have not been impressed at all for the price of them but as long as you are careful and they fit will, you could be pretty happy with them fit ways.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Northwave Striker SBS. I got mine 3mo ago and am super happy. Read my review of them.

Edit for clarity--per Zeebs post below me: like anything apparel, shoes are a highly personal choice, I can only give you recommendations based on my experience alone. What works for some may not work for others. I do really like these NW Strikers--a lot. Enough to sing their praises in this thread, that does not guarantee you will like them.
    Last edited by monzie; 12-04-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Try a bunch of shoes, buy your favorite.
    I can't believe anyone typed anything other than this. They're your feet, buy what you like best. If you don't, you risk suffering while riding. Personally I like my Sidis, and would recommend you try them. What's to stop anyone else from recommending shoes that won't actually fit you? Of note, Sidi comes in wide, if that might help.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I've received some great feedback so far, and it definitely helped me to decide on a pair of shoes, so to me, it was well worth it to hear what everyone's opinion was on their shoes.

For example I know that SIDI runs a bit small, and the wide version isn't gonna make the Dragon's more affordable or durable.

What I was hoping to gain from other opinions, is their overall impression of the shoe, not the fit of the shoe.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    how about the pearl izumi x project?

You know that you like the pearl fit. They look nice. Super light. ratchet strap. stiff on the pedal, flex for walking.

Quick Review: Pearl Izumi’s X Project 1.0 Green ‘Cross/XC Shoe - Bike Rumor
    I think I will give the X Project shoes a try if I don't love the Mavic shoes. The thing that prevented me from getting them is availability, and cost. They are double what I paid for the yellow Mavic shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love my Sidi Dominator 5 in the Mega (wide) version. I buy a new pair every other year only for the reason that I live in a very rocky area and I often get off of my bike to do a little trail work causing the soles to wear. They get washed every few rides and I have never had them fall apart. The soles are stiff enough, but don't cause as many hot spots as the super stiff carbon soles. My LBS gives me a discount making them very reasonably priced. I rode several other brands of shoes (Answer, Nike, and Shimano) and they all fell apart.

mtbr member
    If you want stiff, light, and under 300.00....... I like Giro Codes. Nothing and I mean Nothing, fits like a Sidi. Currently using Dominator 5's and would never go back to any other shoe. However, they are your feet. Go to every LBS in the area and try on as many shoes as possible. The differences will become readily apparent.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Of note, Sidi comes in wide, if that might help.
    I tried different sizes on before buying, the 44's just felt better than the 43's. They are quite comfortable but nowhere near the Lakes i have. Tried getting Mx331 as i already have 2 pairs of Mx330's.... just different shoes for different feet
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Ghetto, the Codes were on my short list for shoes I was interested in, FWIW the reviews of the shoe by reputable sources all had a similar complaint about the toebox shredding after a few (six?) months. They all said it was purely cosmetic and DID NOT effect performance but I figured if I was spending that much on shoes they had better ****ing look sexy for a good long while.

Personally, I think my NW's are way more comfortable than my Sidi's were. YMMV. I think--and this is pure speculation with no ground to stand on--that all the other companies in the shoe game are reall ramping up RD and getting things lighter and more comfortable and I think that as the flagship shoe for Sidi the DOM5 is resting on its laurels and the other companies are starting to surpass that particular shoe in comfort and technology for that price point. But, I'm probably wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    .... just different shoes for different feet
    My exact point; doesn't matter what shoes anyone likes best if they won't fit your feet. The best shoes for you are the ones that you like best. I'd pick a price range then start from there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What I was hoping to gain from other opinions, is their overall impression of the shoe, not the fit of the shoe.
    Bonty RL 2012: Light and stiff. Have had them almost a year and about 1000 miles and no sign of wear.

Based on my reading here I was concerned that the ratchet buckle would come off. According to the dealer Trek improved the design in 2012 (and jacked the price up by $10). So far so good.

BTW, I went to the largest bike shop I could find and tried every brand they had. Well worth the extra $$$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast