mtbr member

Xc light knee covers..race face charge or g form?

I wear typical lycra shorts race type jersey and dont do big drops ect. All xc riding but it never fails that when i do take a spill i hammer my knees. Tired of stitches ect.

The race face looks like it comes down farther but the g form has more pad. Also i live in florida where its reallllly hot.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I have both, the g-form has much better protection but the race face stays up a little bit better.
    My g-form sock is falling apart so I am in the process of attaching the g-form pad to the race face charge pads. Hope it works out.
    Both are very comfy on long xc-ish rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have the charge. They are like a really heavy knee warmer in terms of protection. Like thin neoprene foam. I tried some 661 light cx pads with d30. Comfy enough but fit is loose. I have some POC VPD as well for crazier stuff. Good pro but a touch restrictive and I need chamois butter behind the knee or they scuff up my skin a bit.

mtbr member
    I am thinking of trying some Wilson volleyball pads, like $10-15 but would they be a waste of time I dunno

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    I wear typical lycra shorts race type jersey and dont do big drops ect. All xc riding but it never fails that when i do take a spill i hammer my knees. Tired of stitches ect.

The race face looks like it comes down farther but the g form has more pad. Also i live in florida where its reallllly hot.
    Hello vizsladog; where in Florida from:
    I total understand where you coming from when you have spills - you want protection for knees. luckily for me I haven't damage my knees or stitches, just scratches. I have done research on knee protection, and ask many other riders what they prefer; so, my outcome was i went with Fox Pro Launch knee pads. they fit great, comfortable, lots of padding, and do not bunch up behind the knee like others do.
    Nothing against G-form, because I hear good reviews from them too, and other riders like them. For me, I just wanted that extra protection-padding, sometimes on long rides, it feels like you don't even have them on. I believe it's just personal preference - what you think is right for you, the individual and whats comfortable to you. good luck.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I will second the fox launch, but I use them for Dh, for singletrack the g form are tops!

mtbr member
    I live in ocala and ride santos almost exclusively. It has some nasty limerock red trails. I tend to stay off of them but im over 40 now and guess im losing a little of my form...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    I live in ocala and ride santos almost exclusively. It has some nasty limerock red trails. I tend to stay off of them but im over 40 now and guess im losing a little of my form...
    I live down south Florida, I haven't been to Santos yet - but its an awesome trail for sure from what few friends tell me and others. I am trying to plan a weekend camp trip up there before the summer sets in. As we get a little older, yes we tend to shy away from things. As for knee pads what have you decided?

mtbr member
    I have G-Form elbow pads and no knee protection yet. I like the G-form and will get knee next. While riding I don't feel the heat on my arms but once you stop, glasses fog up pads get hot....but I gues that is going to happen with any flavor..while riding..I forget they are there but great knowing they are...my lower arm seams to always be the first to the ground so I started there...I'm just a trail basher..nothig fancy. Oh one more thought about G-form..they fit nicely under clothing..underware pads if you will LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement