mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wrist wrap and gloves while your riding?

Just wondering how many of you wear some sort of wrist guard/wrap with your gloves while your riding. I know some people prefer more gear then others but I was looking to get some feedback on whether or not they are worth it. I was looking at the 661 Wrist Wrap lite or pro. thanks

user-created
    I've broken my wrists a few times, and when they come out of the cast they're pretty weak - even more spindly than usual. I have a $10 Ace-brand wrist guard that I use in these situations. Light, breathable, fits under my riding gloves and doesn't hinder movement. You can pick one up at the grocery store. The rigid part of the brace is removable plastic, so you can heat it up and make it fit your grip/palm real good.

I don't use it much unless I'm already injured. But it works good for that, and beats riding around in pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    Just wondering how many of you wear some sort of wrist guard/wrap with your gloves while your riding. I know some people prefer more gear then others but I was looking to get some feedback on whether or not they are worth it. I was looking at the 661 Wrist Wrap lite or pro. thanks
    I broke my wrist a year or so ago - now I wear wrist guards over my gloves for freeriding and dirt jumping - here's the best deal in town - a pair for $24 from Pricepoint - they work great and don't mess with your riding at all

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/110...-Pair-DEAL.htm

locked - time out
    I use athletic tape - the white cloth stuff. Like my Western Slope evil twin above, I have broken my right wrist about 3 times (at least). Now I tape it for anything more demanding than a cruise to the store.

mtbr member
    i use sports tape. last weekend i didnt use the foam barier and tape pulled off my skin. ouch!

i love sports tape. it works!

Glad to Be Alive
    I use duct tape w/no problems
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I always wear wrist support. I use the EVS wrist brace that is very similar to the 661 wrist wrap pro. You can adjust the support via support disks. I think you can get the EVS for about $25/pair. I tend to fold my wrists when landing jumps and drops so the wrist support definitely allows me to ride longer without wrist fatigue or injury. It also seems to reduce arm pump. The only real down side is that my gloves don't fit quite as well. A good investment IMO.

SJ

mtbr member
    I just use ace bandages and duct tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

mtbr member
    Anyone use these?

650 yay area
    I just use athletic or if i dont have it duck tape... works fine since i broke my wrist last year

mtbr member
    Never broken my wrist or anything but after a few hard days of DH my wrist just cant take it (well, when i had ssv ) i use athletic tape. Works perfectly and its not some one size fits all deal, you "customize it" to your hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Specialized Rida

I wear these. They are kind of like wearing weightlifting gloves, which helps you from bending you wrists back further then you want them to. The tighter you wear them the stiffer your wrist will be, but at the same time it will not bother your circulation.

skate

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I wear these. They are kind of like wearing weightlifting gloves, which helps you from bending you wrists back further then you want them to. The tighter you wear them the stiffer your wrist will be, but at the same time it will not bother your circulation.

skate
    I tried a friends yesterday....very nice support....but i wish they were more ventilated
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

KOKOPELLI RACING
    when i do hard sessions, i wear 661 wrist guards under my downhill gloves (they're actually carbon motorcycle street racing gloves). it might help to go a size bigger on the gloves to allow the wrist guards more room.
    kokopelli racing

jzt
    mtbr member

Worth getting one while you still have good wrists

I broke my right wrist last year attempting a gap jump. i've been using this ever since.. except for casual rides. if i'd realized how vulnerable wrists are, i'd have worn them BEFORE trying any stunts. damn wrist has never been the same since and i can't do push ups without pain in my wrist. you might think you look over-geared with them on, or that a broken wrist is "cool" but the repercussions are really not worth it.

i think athletic tape is a good idea because the 661 wristwraps i have can't fit under my gloves, so i wear them outside, which bothers my grip a bit.

http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/support_wristwrap.html

mtbr member
    Use this once a day for a few weeks and throw your wristband in the trashcan!!

www.powerballs.com

mtbr member
    I agree on the PowerBall... It helps alot and it is quite fun.. :F

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    After several bad falls I've been riding with 661 wristwrap for all my DH and FR monkey business. I've really only wrecked so bad they've done any good maybe once or twice, but its much better than broken bones and stitches that I've had in the past.

CA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, the Fox BMX wrist-wrap gloves are excellent. They give your wrists a bit of support without interfering, and keep your wrists nice and warm so they're less likely to tweak. I've been using them for 2 years, they make a HUGE difference in how sore my wrists and hands are after a long weekend at Whistler.