mtbr member

Wrist Protection After Scaphoid Injury

Hi guys, I have recovered from scaphoid bone surgery and the doctor has cleared me for light riding with a wristguard. I don't want to use the splint that he provided during my recovery period as it is rather bulky, so I thought of purchasing one off CRC. Problem is I don't quite know which one is suitable and would best protect my wrist and scaphoid. Hence, I narrowed it down to 5 models, hopefully some of the fellas here can give some input. I really appreciate all the help I can get.

1) 661 Wrist Wrap

2) 661 Wrist Wrap Pro

3) Troy Lee Designs WS 3205

4) Troy Lee Designs WS 5205

5) EVS WB01

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Its been several years since I used mine but it was the EVS one. The 661's look the best to me.

One word of advise (and everyone's got it) but its your wrist so take it easy no matter what the doctor says. I was out of work for a year and a half with that same injury. I ended up using a bone growth stimulator to help the blood flow and thankfully I healed up. That being said, it took several years to get back to "normal".

Good luck with your recovery. It's crazy what a pain in the butt (or wrist) that tiny bone can be.
    2009 Black Ellsworth Epiphany built to my spec's...

mtbr member
    mark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    mark.
    ????????????

mtbr member
    Sorry, was marking for reading later. I'm considering purchasing the Troy Lee 3205. I'm a dentist and need the additional protection on my predominant wrist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I broke my scaphoid also and I ride with the EVS brace. I also ride with a Mary bar because after about an hour a traditional riser starts to bother me, but I also had a lot of tendon/soft tissue damage so my range of motion hasn't fully recovered (it's been a little less than a year). So far, so good. Looks like some of the others might offer more direct impact protection though. The EVS mostly provides support and protects from hyper extension/flexion.

Edit:: I'm not sure how long you've been recovering, but I was off the bike for 3 or 4 months, and that was with a surgery to pin the bone back together. Be careful, don't rush back into it you need time to heal. The scaphoid is a notoriously finicky healer due to the limited blood supply so listen to your docs/body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    I broke my scaphoid also and I ride with the EVS brace. I also ride with a Mary bar because after about an hour a traditional riser starts to bother me, but I also had a lot of tendon/soft tissue damage so my range of motion hasn't fully recovered (it's been a little less than a year). So far, so good. Looks like some of the others might offer more direct impact protection though. The EVS mostly provides support and protects from hyper extension/flexion.

Edit:: I'm not sure how long you've been recovering, but I was off the bike for 3 or 4 months, and that was with a surgery to pin the bone back together. Be careful, don't rush back into it you need time to heal. The scaphoid is a notoriously finicky healer due to the limited blood supply so listen to your docs/body.
    I had surgery almost 4 months ago which involved grafting bone from the hip into the scaphoid and screwing them together. Doc cleared me for light riding aka tarmac roads and no jungles. He also mentioned that I should wear my brace which is this:

There are metal plates inside and take note that the thumb is secured. The wristguards I posted in the beginning do not secure the thumb at all. Maybe I should just forget about buying a wristguard and ride with my brace?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I fractured my Scaphoid bone several years ago and also had a bone/vascular graft. I basically stayed off the trail for a good year in fear of falling during my "rehab" phase. As soon as I was riding in some dirt I was wearing and EVS type brace. If you have some money to burn I suggest you check out this site Allsport Dynamics apparently they produces wrist braces for the moto guys. Good luck! I'd provide you a link but because I'm new here the forum won't allow me too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ya I'd go with the doctor's brace, it looks cumbersome but safe. Once you get a little further out maybe consider the EVS type brace.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. What made you guys choose the EVS over the other choices? Amongst them, the EVS looks to be the smallest and seemingly offers the least protection. Or am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I broke my scaphoid a few years ago. I was able to ride with the brace after a screw was put in and a couple months to recover. One of the most important parts of the brace is protecting the thumb so I would definitely use the one the doctor gave you. The Scaphoid is connected directly to your thumb so if you go over a big bump with your thumb wrapped around your handlebars you could be in for a bunch of hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    I broke my scaphoid a few years ago. I was able to ride with the brace after a screw was put in and a couple months to recover. One of the most important parts of the brace is protecting the thumb so I would definitely use the one the doctor gave you. The Scaphoid is connected directly to your thumb so if you go over a big bump with your thumb wrapped around your handlebars you could be in for a bunch of hurt.
    Ah okay, so wearing the brace that the doctor gave will reduce some of that hurt?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It should. Your scaphoid is the peanut shaped bone that is right attached to your thumb.

When I broke mine it hurt for a long time but now It's exactly as if nothing happened except for the scar on the top of my wrist.

Can't say the same thing about some other injuries I've had.

Take it easy though - it's worth it to take the time so that it heal correctly.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to provided an update. I ended up getting the Troy Lee Designs 5205 and really like it. Once strapped it's very secure and feels like it really protect and immobilized the wrist/forearm. I also purchased the Troy Lee 3205, but it didn't feel as secure so I returned it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Just wanted to provided an update. I ended up getting the Troy Lee Designs 5205 and really like it. Once strapped it's very secure and feels like it really protect and immobilized the wrist/forearm. I also purchased the Troy Lee 3205, but it didn't feel as secure so I returned it.
    Did you suffer from a broken scaphoid, or is the brace just additional protection for you?
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Just additional protection. I work with my hands and a broken hand/wrist would be catastrophic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Allsport Dynamics

I have never broken my scaphoid -thank goodness, but because I rely on my hands for a living, I bought the IMC Allsport dynamic braces. These should transfer the energy from your wrist to the forearms and clavicle. My understanding is that those fractures heal far better than a scaphoid fracture. Unfortunately, the scaphoid is an island bone with very poor blood supply.

The Allsport will basically prevent hyper extension without sacrificing radial and ulnar deviation. It also maintains full grip ability since nothing solid is on the palmar surface of your hand and wrist.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quick question for those who have suffered MTB related wrist injury. I crashed trying to learn to "manual" in my driveway and landed on my left palm. I worked overnight that night and it was painful reaching in my pocket to get keys and trying to steer a car with my left hand. I waited 24hrs to decide what to do and the pain subsided a lot. It is still sore four days later, worse if I extend my thumb. I would not really call it pain though. I assumed I had a light sprain, but wonder how painful a break in one of those small bones is. Any input?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Anatomical snuffbox

Google the title and read about the site of pain with scaphoid injury

I am not an er doctor nor an orthopedic or hand surgeon. Just FYI

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    Quick question for those who have suffered MTB related wrist injury. I crashed trying to learn to "manual" in my driveway and landed on my left palm. I worked overnight that night and it was painful reaching in my pocket to get keys and trying to steer a car with my left hand. I waited 24hrs to decide what to do and the pain subsided a lot. It is still sore four days later, worse if I extend my thumb. I would not really call it pain though. I assumed I had a light sprain, but wonder how painful a break in one of those small bones is. Any input?
    From what you said, you need an X-ray and a doctor to diagnose. Do not **** around with this. Hopefully it is a joint jam or sprain. But if it is a scaphoid fx, you need to treat it.

Some people go on for months with a mildly sore wrist that then becomes more painful. Osteonecrosis of the scaphoid secondary to fracture nonunion = four corner fusion surgery = suck for the rest of your life.

I'd schedule straight with an orthopedic office if I were you.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by aizen View Post
    I had surgery almost 4 months ago which involved grafting bone from the hip into the scaphoid and screwing them together. Doc cleared me for light riding aka tarmac roads and no jungles. He also mentioned that I should wear my brace which is this:

There are metal plates inside and take note that the thumb is secured. The wristguards I posted in the beginning do not secure the thumb at all. Maybe I should just forget about buying a wristguard and ride with my brace?
    I just got my cast off after 3.5 months. I like the look of the brace in this post. So makes it? We're can I find it?
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Listen to this advice! I broke my scaphoid in 95 (header over the bars), waited for three months to go to the Doctor because I thought it was just sprained. That put me in a cast for 13 months, and ended up with a screw in my wrist. Fast forward 18 years and I just bought a new bike and went for my first ride yesterday. Man I miss MTB'ing!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
    From what you said, you need an X-ray and a doctor to diagnose. Do not **** around with this. Hopefully it is a joint jam or sprain. But if it is a scaphoid fx, you need to treat it.

Some people go on for months with a mildly sore wrist that then becomes more painful. Osteonecrosis of the scaphoid secondary to fracture nonunion = four corner fusion surgery = suck for the rest of your life.

I'd schedule straight with an orthopedic office if I were you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    "Troy Lee Designs 5205"

"I have never broken my scaphoid -thank goodness, but because I rely on my hands for a living, I bought the IMC Allsport dynamic braces. These should transfer the energy from your wrist to the forearms and clavicle. My understanding is that those fractures heal far better than a scaphoid fracture. Unfortunately, the scaphoid is an island bone with very poor blood supply."

This is great analysis and much appreciated. I ride rough technical trails carefully and armor up because I hate getting injured. I have been wondering about hand protection so this is great to know.