mtbr member

Wrist guard help

Ok been digging and can find references to braces but not anything from ppl that use them.

Not sure what to call what my issue is. Did some major damage to right wrist way back in highschool football. Had surgery and plenty of pt to repair it.

To date since i came back to riding 1.5 yrs ago besides bad set up/riding posisition causing tingling (which has been practically non existant this summer since i now have a bike that fits and setup correctly) no issues.

But started a new job couple weeks back, demanding on hands and wrists, far more than just being an automechanic as I was previously. Ya factory work here pays better than being a certified ASE tech.

Now I get pain, tingling and such on inside o right wrist/hand. Makes rear brake precision a *****.

Tried my normal ace bandage (long tan colored strap u wrap around a few times) wrap but felt weird and unsafe under my glove or without glove when riding so took off right after first heavy curve/rooted section.

Want something I can still use gloves that's is just support for my wrist. Ride xc so I don't need fancy guards.

Has anyone tried and been happy with a brace for simple added support (compression brace) and what one do you use?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

pin it
    Do you have a diagnosis for what is causing the current symptoms you describe?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Re: Wrist guard help

No insurance = no doctor visit. Benefits is the one reason I got this new job, so i will have them again.

So no diagnosis cause not selling my bike to pay to get my wrist checked out cause that's about what it will cost me right now.

Trek Marlin 29er

likes bicycles

I was getting some serious wrist pain earlier this year. It was mostly caused by long downhills aggravating an old injury from working in a warehouse.

I started using the 661 wrist wrap, and it's made a big difference for me. I think it helps me for 2 reasons. (1) it gives a bit of added support and prevents awkward positioning. (2) it made me fully aware of my wrists, and helped me train myself to keep them in line with my arm. They also protect against hyper extension when you invariably try to catch yourself during a fall.

The 661 brace works really well for biking. Gloves fit without issue, there's nothing between your hand and the bar, and you have full access to the controls.

All in all, I recommend them. Good luck with your wrists. It can be quite an obnoxious problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

I'll look into that one Thnx. Sounds like what I need. Everything I normally find covers a bunch of my palm so will feel weird and not confident on grip.

My wrist holds up to riding normally but has had 2 surgeries several years ago do to injuries and new factory job (2 weeks in so far) is giving my wrist hell atm, so riding is painful and difficult.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member

Found a major help with this, change in bars. Combined with a basic compression support brace my short ride today was surprisingly comfortable. So think I can get by with the basic mtb brace instead of the fancy one, they have a basic one on their site (not sure if that's the one ur talking about) that wraps around instead of the bigger stiffer brace.

Trek Marlin 29er

likes bicycles

What is different about your new bars? e. g. More sweep, more rise? I was thinking of picking up a new set soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Ive have wrist issues for a while now...mainly Carpal Tunnel..I got some shots for it a year ago and it seems to work for now...anyway I use to wear wrist guards when I rode..I just got the ones from the local drug store..the "meuller" ones (specifically the reverse splint brace) and they worked..they werent the best in the world..but it got me by...I had some old skate wrist guards but they were too bulky to use...another thing I used which I think helps alot are ESI grips...they are a soft silicone compound grip that help with the vibration of going down hills.

ESI grips
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

likes bicycles
    Here's the wrist guard I've been using, which works pretty well for biking.

PRO WRIST SUPPORT - Joint Support - Bike