mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Would this shoe work well for MTB?

I have been wearing Vans that are way worn out to get any grip I need to have my heals on the pedal and its not fun. Looking into shoes and was told about the 510's. I really like these the dirtbags because they are a style of shoe I could wear out whenever. I just wanted to see what you all thought about them and if you think they would be good for riding trails and stuff. https://fiveten.com/products/footwea...gull-grey-navy

mtbr member
    May 2012

Would this shoe work well for MTB?

I ended up going with the Five Ten Spitfire instead of the Dirtbag, but they don't look radically different in style. Prolly have the same formulation of the Stealth sole, which to me is a good thing. I was riding before with fairly typically athletic shoes. Did OK, but since switching to the Five Tens I feel a big difference in grip on the pedals. I pretty much have to focus on lifting my foot up & away from the pedal to reposition. And that's just with fairly cheap Diamondback Bigfoot platforms. Getting ready to replace the DB's with new Wellgo platforms so I'm expecting even more grip. Definitely a believer in the Five Ten Stealth soles now!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I like having a dedicated pair of riding shoes, because I don't mind when they get a little dirty. Plus I don't have to clean them up after every ride so I can wear them out. I went with Impacts, and I don't regret my decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Would this shoe work well for MTB?

I just got a pair of Five Ten freerider vxi's... was wearing Nike shoes before that. I have a set of Canfield crampons pedals and the grip and overall feel of this setup is absolutely incredible. The stealth rubber is super grippy and once broken in I expect them to be even better.

It's not just the sole but the support of the overall shoe that matters of course. While I'm sure every five ten shoe would has its purpose, I think the freerider vxi is the even mix in the bunch without being heavy like the impact line. I bought based on multiple reviews at tons of sites... the vxi also has a plain middle section on the sole that seems to be of some benefit vs. The full pattern that u literally have to remove your foot from the pedal to reposition in the slightest..

I purchased through Jenson USA with a coupon... the coupon w/ free shipping came to $110. I did have to re order and go down a half size, first pair seemed to run a hair large for me.

Oh ya... the 10% coupon they sent me with my last purchase is really giving me 15% off... and I have used it a couple times now getting every single order over $100 shipped for free and discounted !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am not really worried about keeping them nice I am currently riding in a pair of beat vans that i wear out all the time. I do really like the hellcats they have to offer but I believe they are clipless.

I mostly like dirtbags because of the simple and clean look. I guess I should be thinking most importantly about riding and grip rather than how they look. Thank you guys for your feedback.