Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    richeyr
    May 2004

With or without helmet Visor?

Do you bike with or without your helmet visor? Why? The visor tends to not let me look as far ahead as I like, but it helps deflect branches and the sun. I wear sunglasses, but am wondering other people's thoughts.
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

Trail rider and racer
    Without. You can see more and thats probably the most important reason for me.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

With.....

I ride with the visor on. It kinda looks dorky without one. I've got a Giro Xen that can adjust the visor 15 degrees so if i can't see too well, I can flip the visor up. The visor keeps the sun and rain off my eyes.

mtbr member
    With. It's not a downhill ski helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar
    I ride with the visor on. It kinda looks dorky without one. I've got a Giro Xen that can adjust the visor 15 degrees so if i can't see too well, I can flip the visor up. The visor keeps the sun and rain off my eyes.

nimble biker

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! need visor

It is safer with the visor. It protects the eyes from small branches that will snap back to the helmet. I ride with full visor. There is nothing dorky about it.

People used to say that it was dorky to ride a bike with helmet. now, everyone realize that helmet is nescessary safety equipment.

Chrome Toaster
    I take them off, they serve no functional purpose 90% of the time. Better visibility without it on the more leaned forward riding position of the XC race bike. A definate no no on the road bike. Your neck will get sore from having to hold your head up so far back to be able to see forward with the damn thing on. I will typically put it on for trails that are completely out in the open most of the time with no shade or cover but for the most part I prefer to just wear sunglasses to take care of that. I don't care if the helmet looks dorky without them. Bike helmets look dorky either way. I'd rather have as much uninterrupted visibility in every direction than worry about looking dorky.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I ride with the visor. And how grateful was I for that visor yesterday. The trees are still bare, so the beaming sun came down hard - it was the brightest I'd ever seen the trail - so that visor did its job keeping the glare out of my eyes. I also noticed that the visor works well to deflect air away from my eyes, even though I wear prescription wraparound glasses. When I ride without the visor, I still get some air seeping in, making it more difficult to see and/or concentrate.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I ride with a visor. I do most of my riding during peak sunlight, so it's a must. I also ride in a very relaxed somewhat upright position.

On the streets though, I ride my track bike w/o the visior because of the lower bar position.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

With, of course

With the visor, of course. Otherwise how would anyone know it's not a roadie helmet? Besides, if I took the visor off it would get lost.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by richeyr
    Do you bike with or without your helmet visor? Why? The visor tends to not let me look as far ahead as I like, but it helps deflect branches and the sun. I wear sunglasses, but am wondering other people's thoughts.
    No visor. Block my vision. They force me to crane my neck too much to see down the trail and that causes neck and shoulder pain.

The helmet alone does a nice job deflecting branches. I wear sun glasses for the sun glare.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

el guapo

with visor

with, it looks much better and protects against branches. i wear sunglasses as well, my vision isn't affected at all by the visor.
    who, that little guy? i wouldn't worry about that little guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    with. I have never had it block my vision on a mtb. Great for blocking glare, protection, etc. I take it off for road riding because it is in the way on the road bike. I look just as lame as road bikers that way, too, so I fit in better.

Without, mainly for visibility. I really do not see the benefit of using a visor.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

Don't touch me!
    I prefer without. I think xc helmets look kinda dorky with a visor, but I don't use them because of that. Better visibility as others have said. I always wear sunglasses too so a visor is a little redundant. I'm more concerned about tire fling and bugs in my eyes. A branch will still deflect off your helmet if you're wearing a visor or not. Plus I save 23+ grams without it!

Its funny you say that b/c I just replaced my old helmet with a Giro Atmos. I must be a closet roadie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beeristasty; 04-11-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

richeyr
    May 2004
    I asked mainly because of the visibility issue. In the most comfortable riding position on both my bikes the visor allows me to only see about maybe ten feet in front of me without having to lift my head up. Lifting my head causes soreness in my neck and shoulders. I have rode with and without the visor, but I am the only one on the trail without a visor when I ride. I thnk I am going to leave it off more this season, since I wear sunglasses anyways.
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I asked mainly because of the visibility issue. In the most comfortable riding position on both my bikes the visor allows me to only see about maybe ten feet in front of me without having to lift my head up. Lifting my head causes soreness in my neck and shoulders. I have rode with and without the visor, but I am the only one on the trail without a visor when I ride. I thnk I am going to leave it off more this season, since I wear sunglasses anyways.
    Just leave it off all the time. Sounds like you do not ride in the Sit-Up-and-Beg position that best suits visor use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

she keep you buying rats

Without for me...

...I guess I have a weird shaped skull, but the visor blocks my vision.

Speaking of visors. Knowing the roadie disgust for helmet visors. I got such a huge kick out of it last year when Armstrong had Giro build him a custom visor to wear during the TdF. That together with his black socks... and dominant victory... it created quite a quandry in the minds of the roadie fashion set.

ronbo613
    I'm pretty lucky to live in a sunny place(except for the melanomia, that is). Always ridden with a helmet visor. Definitely helps keep the sun out of your eyes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I usually leve the visor on. When I ride my beefier bike with a more upright riding position, I keep the visor down. When I ride my XC bike with a more aggressive riding position, I tend to flip the visor up.

If I used a road bike, I'd go without the visor to keep from having to crane my neck.

Darth Nader
    With. It actually saved me from getting a sunburn on my face this weekend. If you're like me, there are always those rides where you forget sunblock or didn't expect to need it.
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I ride with the visor. I find it stops alot of branches hitting me in the face. It laso blocks out some sun light(but I wear sunglasses anyways..).

If I did roaid riding ,then I would certainly take the visor off.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No visor. Block my vision. They force me to crane my neck too much to see down the trail and that causes neck and shoulder pain.

The helmet alone does a nice job deflecting branches. I wear sun glasses for the sun glare.
    Ditto! As I have already said, no need for a visor. They are pointless.

Glasses are a must - even wirth a visor.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I use my visor.

Why? Looks better, and keeps sun out of my EYE GUY....

mtbr member
    Do whatever you want - the bike ride is for you not everybody else...

Personally, I find that on night rides; visor = eye saver. Especially in the spring when the trails are more overgrown, and there is always some thorny vine reaching out to steal your glasses just as you've locked up the brakes and are leaning into that switchback... Of course if I lived in Moab where there are no trees maybe I'd think the visor was dumb...

Hey am I the only one who finds it ironic that some Roadie Dude who thinks nothing of shaving his legs and stepping into a set of bibs finds it perfectly reasonable to pontificate about fashion to everyone else? The sock thing is the one that really cracks me up...

Oct 2004
    Without a visor ! in fact, i choose a helmet that sticks close to the front of my head. Visors block your vision against low limbs and so do helmets that stick an extra half inch to an inch in front of your skull.

I cant believe i am reading several people say that they like their visors because it deflects branches?????

If the visor wasnt there , you would be able to see the low branch and duck underneath it.
    Desperately searching for a klein 120mm O-rise MC1 mission control stem /handlebars or any 1 1/4 quill stem equivalent.
    EDIT- HELLOOOOOOOO......... Desperately means i will pay really,really good money for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast