mtbr member
    Jan 2004

winter riding shoes....

OK I think I am finally done with booties, duck tape, and whatever else. time for something a little more convenient.

Lake vs Sidi vs Shimano vs ?

I hear the Lake shoes are the warmenst of these three, but the durability and workmanship may be an issue? Sidi's are higher quality but not as warm? I have not heard any feedback on the Shimano version. Anyone care to share their personal experiences with any of these or others?

Thanks!

banned
    On my second pair of Lakes. The first pair lasted several years. They did finally fall apart, but I wore them on hundreds of rides in all seasons.

Love my new ones. Love em. Used em today. Loved em.

Get em cheap because you can get em for cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not sure how cold you're talking about. I live in Stockholm and ride as cold as -10C, maybe a little colder.

Recommendations:
    Cold (-5C to +5C): Normal shoes with wool (Merino wool)socks that wick. 2 pairs if it's really cold. Over the socks put a tuff plastic bag. Over this put a very thin dress sock. The plastic bag works for waterproofing and windstopper. The thin sock keeps everything in place and if you get it wet, it doesn't ice up like thick socks.

Really Cold (below -5C): Switch to flat pedals and wear gortex shoes/boots. I have an old pair of Merrell high tops and they're so warm. It's a little less efficient pedaling, but it sucks being on a long ride and you can't feel your feet.

PS: Sealskins suck and aren't waterproof. I almost lost some toes to frostbite (exaggeration!) but they do not work.

I hope this helps.

bearr

≈ > ♥
    I have done the duct-tape-over-the-vents thing, while wearing socks, bags, and more socks, for a long time.

Finally broke down and bought the Goretex Shimano winter shoes. Much nicer!
    Waterproof and breathable, while still being able to clip in.

mtbr member
    From a guy who hates cold / wet feet.
    I have the Lakes which are 3 years old. I have never had cold feet and I ride all winter here in NE. They are fairly water proof to about 3 inches deep. My only issues are they needed a shoe sugeon last year to do some reattachment of the bootie to the base of the shoe ($5). I would expect at least 2 more winters out of them. I wear an 11.5 us shoe, but purchased the 48 so I would have room for wool thick socks.Hope this helps.

mtbnj.com
    Another vote for the Lakes, an awesome shoe.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    I used booties and various sock combinations for a few years ( I never could understand how some people make the baggies work. To me they don't breathe,trap the moisture inside and then, freezing cold sweat on my feet) I've been using the Lakes with the toe heaters stuck to the outside with a toe booty over that to help hold it on. My Lakes are getting old and the neoprene uppers are starting to fail ( don't know if they can be repaired or its time for new ones) If I had to buy again, I would get the Lakes again.

Known Mountainbiker
    Lakes. Nothing like warm dry feet on an Oregon cold wet ride.

Now if I can just find the perfect winter pair of gloves. But it's easier to carry extra gloves on a ride than extra shoes.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've got about a dozen rides with the Answer Kashmir winter shoes.

I've always used my Sidi summer shoes with extra layers inside for the winter but my feet were always somewhat chilled. I bought these +1 in size and I'm now wearing less with warmer feet, should have done this years ago. Above 30F I can wear the same light weight socks I wear in the summer and my feet are perfect. I rode today @ 22F and wore a light weight wool blend sock and they were nice and toasty.

Look around on line I found them for $120 and then did a price match through Cambria.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    I have done the duct-tape-over-the-vents thing, while wearing socks, bags, and more socks, for a long time.

Finally broke down and bought the Goretex Shimano winter shoes. Much nicer!
    Waterproof and breathable, while still being able to clip in.

how's the insulation on those? Is there any?

Thanks for the comments all around!

≈ > ♥
    Just saw your question... Don't know if you have bought shoes yet.

Yup, they're insulated. Riding in just-barely-freezing weather with only summer weight socks on was almost too warm. Everything that isn't neoprene inside has a decent layer of Gore-tex weave, even the footbed under the removeable arch insert.

Have done a couple of quick creek crossings, have so far proven to be waterproof to the top of the neoprene sleeve. Am unsure if they could take extended time in wetness, am sure I'll find out eventually... I did seal the cleat area with silicone, after positioning cleats where I wanted them.

Have a couple hundred km on them so far since purchasing, and am so far pretty happy with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have the answer kasmirs and the lakes. The lakes are much warmer. The kashmirs do not really have much insulation in them, I added a better insulated insole which helped. The kashmirs are good down to about 20F with good wool socks, below that I needed toe warmers. I got a killer deal on the lakes this spring and have used them down to about 10 so far with nice toasty feet.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    I have a few year old pair of Lake MX 301's and they are warm enough down to freezing. throw in some toe warmer packs and they're good down to the 20's.

mtbr member
    Key to warm feet is circualtion FIRST. I have a pair of shoes that are too big and it allows me to double the wool cycling socks with a plastic bag. As long as the shoe isn't too tight (cutting off circulation), my foot stays warm.

Members who have read this thread: 0