Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Winter riding gloves?

The gf has issues with circulation in her hands. I was wondering what winter golves are the best for warmth yet still provide good grip on the bars. We live in northeast PA where the nights are getting especially cold. We do a weekly night ride. It's either find good gloves or give up the night rides. All help is appreciated.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Something like this would probably be good.

Thermo Roubaix Glove

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Check out ridingagainstthegrain | Epic Rides, Excellent Gear Reviews and Cycling with Celiac Disease

He has been reviewing a few... my opinion would be pretty much worthless considering I live in FL and people think cold is anything below 80 degrees.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    The gf has issues with circulation in her hands. I was wondering what winter golves are the best for warmth yet still provide good grip on the bars. We live in northeast PA where the nights are getting especially cold. We do a weekly night ride. It's either find good gloves or give up the night rides. All help is appreciated.
    I like these: THERMAL LINED GRIPPING
    or these: FROSTBREAKERŪ FOAM FORM FITTING THERMAL (even warmer)

Cheap, warm, comfortable, even when wet. Good to well below freezing for me.

How cold is "especially cold"?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Picked up a pair of Castelli gloves at the Cycledrome Bicycle Shop in Trexlertown. Castelli | An Unfair Advantage - Country selector.

So far with the temps we are having here in central PA they've kept my hands pretty warm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    or these: FROSTBREAKERŪ FOAM FORM FITTING THERMAL (even warmer)

Cheap, warm, comfortable, even when wet. Good to well below freezing for me.

How cold is "especially cold"?
    Walmart has a set like those only the vinyl/latex covers everything other than the wrist and back of the hand for $7. They probably aren't as thick as those, hard to tell by pics, but for $7 and local they maybe worth checking out. It warmed up again right after I bought them so I haven't had to chance to try them out but I expect them to be good down in the mid to upper 20s hopefully. They were in the men's underwear/socks section with all the other work gloves and come in different sizes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Giro Ambient...Best winter gloves ever!
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was planning on using something like this for riding in the mountains this winter. They're kind of like hippo hands.

Classic Accessories 78137 QuadGear Black ATV Mitts, Fits most ATVs : Amazon.com : Automotive

On my motorcycle I've never found any kind of glove that was warm, but I was warm when I used a variation of hippo hands.

The next problem when it gets cold is that the bars will sap heat from your hands.

mtbr member
    I have two pairs of winter gloves:

Sealskinz winter gloves from about two years ago

They are excellent in super cold weather (under 0°C, fine down to maybe -5°C) but they don't give you a very good feel for the bar since they have so much insulation. They are also way too hot if the weather heats up during a ride, over 5°C and you can forget them. They have saved my hands a few times when it gets really cold and windy. They are fully waterproof, too.

Fox Antifreeze

The inner glove isn't really waterproof and it gets kind of messed up looking after a few rides but they are fairly windproof and do nicely down to about 2-3°C and don't feel too hot up to 10°C. They are much more comfortable than the Sealskinz stuff and give a much better feel for the bar (obviously not as good as thin summer gloves). I'd give them 3 stars instead of the 4 Bikeradar gives them.

AZ
    banned
    Pogies are the ultimate solution imho.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Walmart has a set like those only the vinyl/latex covers everything other than the wrist and back of the hand for $7. They probably aren't as thick as those, hard to tell by pics, but for $7 and local they maybe worth checking out. It warmed up again right after I bought them so I haven't had to chance to try them out but I expect them to be good down in the mid to upper 20s hopefully. They were in the men's underwear/socks section with all the other work gloves and come in different sizes.
    If they are not thermal knit, they are not warm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'm with stupid
    I wear these, but when it starts getting much colder I throw a set of smart wool glove liners in under them. Works great on night rides in colorado where 10-20F is common after dark.

Gloves

Gnarly
    I wear ski gloves because cycling gloves I've tried were just not warm enough. Last winter on the coldest longest rides -10C to -20C I wore Spyder gortex/fleese. Good grip and dexterity. My hands were never cold.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out some ice climbing gloves if you've got a shop in your area. They are warm, padded nickels and great dexterity. Everything you want for winter riding. Black diamond makes some great ones. For bike specific, pearl Izumi has a nice insulated waterproof pair, but at$130

local trails rider
    Skiing gloves can be a solution. If it isn't all that cold, XC skiing gloves: made for wear while you are constantly generating a lot of body heat. For more cold, something made for skiing down the slopes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Skiing gloves can be a solution. If it isn't all that cold, XC skiing gloves: made for wear while you are constantly generating a lot of body heat. For more cold, something made for skiing down the slopes.
    +1

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Pogies are the ultimate solution imho.
    +1
    I've tried all types of winter gloves and my fingers always get cold. I got a pair of these last year and my hands stayed warm and dry. I also put a power/clif bar in the pogies and it keep's it warm enough to chew.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...5&ProductID=14

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How cold is your area? Something that combines fingers like the Pearl Izumi lobster claw glove would help. Also keeping wind off her hands is a plus, I am thinking of putting enduro motorcycle hand guards on my wife's bike to keep her warm and dry. I'm also getting her a pair of Endura Strike waterproof gloves since our area has more issues with wet than cold.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hot Packs.

Hot packs will turn any gloves into a tropical paradise. I used them both in the oilfield and when I had a small swimming pool cleaning business. Just pop them and put a set in her gloves and in her shoes and she will thank you for it.

Heat Packs

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Six Six One 'Storm'
    2013 SixSixOne Storm Gloves | MotoSport

Awesome glove

mtbr member
    Groundeffect Chippolattas: Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing

Super toasty, wind proof and you can still grip the bars.

I'm on my 2nd pair.

mtbr member
    I picked up these Pearl Izumi gloves at REI, very nice so far

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

re: NEPA weather and gloves

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post

My friend and I rode fatbikes all last winter in NEPA. We rode mostly at LSP but the conditions would be similar. I had great luck with skiing gloves made by North Face but I do not remember the model name. It is likely that I will be buying another pair this year for I could not find them this past weekend while getting out my winter stuff. I had bought them at ***** for about $20 IIRC.

Last winter was pretty mild but there was one weekend where my car thermometer was reading 17 F while at 7 Tubs. That day I was riding alone and ended up going back to the car for a heavier pair of ski gloves with a gauntlet style cuff. Other than that weekend, the North Face fleece gloves worked fine. It is easy enough to get a heavy pair of gloves but combining the need for dexterity and a non slip grip on the handlebars can get tricky.

BTW, I would strongly recommend carrying an extra pair of gloves if riding in the winter. Last March I fell in the creek down in the Dark at Moon Lake and it seemed like a really long wet and cold ride back to the main gate to the car. Luckily, I had an extra pair of gloves and a baraclava that had stayed dry in my camelbak despite the fall. My clothes and feet were soaked but the dry gloves and headwear made a huge difference. Another good trick is to carry each other's extra stuff so that if one person falls into the drink at least their extra clothing is sure to be dry. Obviously its not practical to carry full sets of clothing but I would recommend head wear (Underarmour baraclavas work great for cold days) gloves and socks as a backup.

I wear neoprene socks on the coldest days but I had used cheap wool socks for most of the winter without issues. Luckily I had the neoprene socks on for my Moon Lake dip and it proved to me that they really do work even if your feet get soaked.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I ride all winter day n night. Have been Using a pair or ems primaloft gloves with removable fleece liner for 5 years. When I wash my goretex jackets I waterproof them too and they have been great. Wind proof , light and breathable. They are ski gloves and have an elastic bandtp that goes over your jacket and cinches down. the palms are starting to come off and I want a new preferably MTB or bike specific glove that will last. I am heading to ems and rei tomorrow to try on an pick a pair out for Xmas.

mtbr member
    For my coldest rides i have a pair of one-finger glove/mittens. Harder to find than lobster claws, but I much prefer the design for one-finger braking.

I have something like these:

Sugoi Firewall Z Thermal Split Finger-Mitt Waterproof Winter Cycling Glove, 53240 | Cycling Clothing Accessories | Cycling | GEAR | items from Campmor.

They're warm, but the extra material between hand and bar means your grip is sloppier. Warmth vs. grip is a trade-off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast