Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101

    winter riding gear

    For those of you that live in southern California and others in similar climate areas, I am getting back into mountain biking and want to ride in the mornings on the weekends and at night after work during the week. What do you guys wear when it's colder especially at night? I think that I might be alright wearing my MTB shorts, since my legs will be constantly moving, plus I am the type of guy who can run around in shorts while it's in the 60's outside, but I am more concerned with keeping my core and arms warm. I am thinking of getting a long sleeve compression shirt for a base layer and wearing it under a polyester short sleeve shirt. What do you guys use?

    If I do find that I'm not warm enough with my MTB shorts, what are you suggestions?

    Also, can compression shorts be worn under MTB shorts with the liners? I have heard that the inner lining doesn't afford as much compression as compression shorts do.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    bump

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    60 is just shorts and long sleeve jersey for me. But this is Oregon and 60 is AWESOME for a winter day.

    When it gets colder to 40 I wear running tights under my shorts and wear a couple shirts, or a light jacket, or vest. Below that I have to wear more wind proof clothes.
    Last edited by Hoban; 12-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.

  4. #4
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235
    60 ? are you serios haha , thats like HOT weather man .. When you mention winter riding gear i am thinking in the 20's or low 30s ...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,354
    MERINO WOOL; socks, Icebreaker 200 Pocket beanie for my head, fits under helmet. If cold enough Ibex knee warmers or cycling tights. Also have Smartwool merino glove liners for the coldest days. Wear a light weight merino shirt till around 35, then medium weight. I don't wear synthetics anymore. They hold odor and attract hair, I have dogs.
    agmtb

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    60 ? are you serios haha , thats like HOT weather man .. When you mention winter riding gear i am thinking in the 20's or low 30s ...
    Yeah, i know. I'm actually talking about more like in the 50's or 40's.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    24
    50's I can usually get by with a long sleeve jersey, shorts and some wool socks. I'd possibly add a windbreaker and some warmer gloves as the temps drop and then some winter tights under my shorts to keep the wet and of wind out. You'll have to test a little bit. What feels good heading out the door may be far too much once you hit the hills.

  8. #8
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235
    Basically when i ride in cooler temps , i dress to feel some what warm but more on the cool side .. My knee/shin pads cover up my legs and they dont get cold anyways . But i for the most part will stay warm while i ride, but over dressing will suck.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    435
    One of my guides is to cover my knees below 45 F. Rode in 10 F yesterday. The more you get out the faster you will acclimate to the temperature in your area?
    Acclimatization: Adjusting to the Temperature: Health Topics: University of Iowa Health Care

    urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Piratefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    91
    I have the Underarmor cold weather turtleneck. It's great down to about 55 F. But I live in Az and am a wuss to the "cold" so you might be able to get away sub 50 F with one.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    312
    Wow I can only dream of these winter temperatures in Canada. Sigh. My camelback froze the other day.

  12. #12
    Uly
    Uly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    Wow I can only dream of these winter temperatures in Canada. Sigh. My camelback froze the other day.
    That, sir, is commitment.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    60 ? are you serios haha , thats like HOT weather man .. When you mention winter riding gear i am thinking in the 20's or low 30s ...
    So, a couple of days ago it was in the high 30's in the morning when I left to do some running around, which was about the same time that I like to ride in the mornings. Then, I got to thinking about what you said. So with that, what do you wear?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Basically when i ride in cooler temps , i dress to feel some what warm but more on the cool side .. My knee/shin pads cover up my legs and they dont get cold anyways . But i for the most part will stay warm while i ride, but over dressing will suck.
    That's actually an idea. I wear a knee support on one leg and have noticed that the support does keep that leg warmer, but not sure if I can get a knee pad over it, but might try a knee/shin pad for my other other leg.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    i dress to feel some what warm but more on the cool side

  16. #16
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    Wow I can only dream of these winter temperatures in Canada. Sigh. My camelback froze the other day.
    This
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

  17. #17
    Pioneer
    Reputation: SolarCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    I like to have a tight first layer and a wind breaker

  18. #18
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    You might try a long sleeved jersey.

    Since you are in southern California, you will have to import one.

    Watch for hypothermia in those temperatures.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586
    Bwahaha, I'll send you my summer riding gear for your winter use, should work out fine for you. Weanis.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    366
    Schott, your reply sounds pretty rude. Is your brain frozen or something?

    to OP,
    I also live in Socal, and ride at nite after work.
    I usually wear long sleeve compression shirt with turtle neck, from target for $12, then long sleeve jersey, then light windbreaker jacket with vent on the back. But if temp drop below 45f all the way to mid 30f, I would add another jersey under the jacket, could be short sleeve, usually enough for me.

    A neck warmer will help too, I carry it just in case. Plus leg warmers, wool socks, skate style-shoes (flat pedals), mtb shorts. nothing on my head except helmet and sweat gutr. I can use my neck warmer to cover ears as well. thermal pear izumi gloves work pretty good, still cold tho, but not cold enough to have a frost bite. I just dont ride below 35f.
    hope that helps.
    btw, where do u ride at nite?

    inter

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586
    No, no. You're totally right, I shouldn't call people a Weanis...it is rude. I have friends out in California, I like to give them a hard time about the weather extremes there. I apologize.

    OP. for cool weather riding, I think my favorite things should get you by, and fit in your jersey pockets. This is for XC riding, not commuting, where I always dress warmer. (and look less "bike geek"...slightly)

    Upper half of the body is a nice heavy old wool jersey and arm warmers. Also, a wind shirt. Wind shirts are amazing, super light weight, fits in a pocket, and I feel like it gives you 20 degrees (at least) to whatever you are wearing. Throw it on at the top of the climb, be dry and warm at the bottom. This one is quality. http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-t...ml?color=delft

    I find that a good pair of leg warmers Is almost always enough down to 40-45 degrees. After that it is the feet that get cold and a pair of booties and tall wool socks should be plenty to get you through your cold snaps. They work really well. I like a light weight wool ski sock pulled right up to my knee under the leg warmers. Layers do amazing things.

    If you have bibs instead of shorts, they will be warmer.

    I love cool weather riding, but this mid winter riding is a lot of fun too.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    Schott, your reply sounds pretty rude. Is your brain frozen or something?

    to OP,
    I also live in Socal, and ride at nite after work.
    I usually wear long sleeve compression shirt with turtle neck, from target for $12, then long sleeve jersey, then light windbreaker jacket with vent on the back. But if temp drop below 45f all the way to mid 30f, I would add another jersey under the jacket, could be short sleeve, usually enough for me.

    A neck warmer will help too, I carry it just in case. Plus leg warmers, wool socks, skate style-shoes (flat pedals), mtb shorts. nothing on my head except helmet and sweat gutr. I can use my neck warmer to cover ears as well. thermal pear izumi gloves work pretty good, still cold tho, but not cold enough to have a frost bite. I just dont ride below 35f.
    hope that helps.
    btw, where do u ride at nite?

    inter
    I haven't started riding at night, yet. I need to replace my lights and been trying decide which to get. Plus, not working at the momment, so no need to. I live in the San Fernando Valley, so when I do ride at night, I do my riding locally.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    No, no. You're totally right, I shouldn't call people a Weanis...it is rude. I have friends out in California, I like to give them a hard time about the weather extremes there. I apologize.

    OP. for cool weather riding, I think my favorite things should get you by, and fit in your jersey pockets. This is for XC riding, not commuting, where I always dress warmer. (and look less "bike geek"...slightly)

    Upper half of the body is a nice heavy old wool jersey and arm warmers. Also, a wind shirt. Wind shirts are amazing, super light weight, fits in a pocket, and I feel like it gives you 20 degrees (at least) to whatever you are wearing. Throw it on at the top of the climb, be dry and warm at the bottom. This one is quality. Wild Things M's Pullover Windshirt | Wind and rain resistant jacket

    I find that a good pair of leg warmers Is almost always enough down to 40-45 degrees. After that it is the feet that get cold and a pair of booties and tall wool socks should be plenty to get you through your cold snaps. They work really well. I like a light weight wool ski sock pulled right up to my knee under the leg warmers. Layers do amazing things.

    If you have bibs instead of shorts, they will be warmer.

    I love cool weather riding, but this mid winter riding is a lot of fun too.
    I took it with a grain of salt.. My aunt who lives in western NE, gives me a hard time, also. But I do know people think just because we live in CA, we are wimps when it comes to cold weather. I can actually take the cold, especailly when I'm moving around. Heck, Friday it was about 55 degrees in the afternoon, which is a cold day for us, I was mowing the yard in sweats and a t-shirt.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Wear a light weight merino shirt till around 35, then medium weight

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •