mtbr member

Winter MTB Shoes?

Why are there only like 3 models and why do they cost $150+ each?

More importantly, where can I get'em cheap? I just want to keep my toes warm.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    A cheaper alternative:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1165265769344

I bought mine a size larger than normal and use them with nice thick socks...worked great down to -15C.

Riiiiiide...
    What about neoprene clipless shoe covers?? Im also thinking about keeping my toes warm this winter but am not too keen on spending $$ on new shoes. I found the neoprene covers are inexpensive and in combination with my normal shoes and slightly thicker socks i should be ok. Anybody have personal experience with such gadgets?

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for someone to make a cheaper version of the Sidi Toasters!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Answer Kashmirs can be found for under $100. They don't have much insulation, so make sure you leave room for thick socks. They are wind and water proof though. If you are looking for a cheap solution, get the Performance brand booties. They worked for me down to the single digits F without toe warmers.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    What about neoprene clipless shoe covers?? Im also thinking about keeping my toes warm this winter but am not too keen on spending $$ on new shoes. I found the neoprene covers are inexpensive and in combination with my normal shoes and slightly thicker socks i should be ok. Anybody have personal experience with such gadgets?
    I tried to use a set of neoprene shoe covers from Performance but because of the recessed cleats on my MTB shoes the covers really interfered with clipping in and clipping out. They work best with road shoes.

Personally, I ended up springing for a set of Lakes. Found them on sale at Nashbar I believe last year at 50% off. Still ran $125 or so a pair.

Repo

tl1
    Bicyclist

I have a pair of those

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    The Answer Kashmirs can be found for under $100. They don't have much insulation, so make sure you leave room for thick socks. They are wind and water proof though. If you are looking for a cheap solution, get the Performance brand booties. They worked for me down to the single digits F without toe warmers.
    They're pretty good shoes but I found that I prefer insulated regular boots and platform pedals when it gets below freezing. I have a like new pair of size 47 or 48 Answer Kashmirs (don't remember for sure but I think size 48). If anyone wants them for cheap PM me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My plan is to run my neoprene covers for as long as I can. If my feet get too cold I'll switch to my boots and some flat pedals with power grips. My boots don't even provide enough warmth for my commute. I need to survive a few weeks of -30F with -60 after windchill. Yay Wisconsin.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Flats and boots/overboots or search the Alaska forum for other field proven options.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I got my first set of Lake winter boots for about 55 bucks on Ebay. I bought them in July. They saw their last days last year. I got my second pair for cost.

Other than Lakes, I prefer flats and my 5.10 impacts with wool socks. I've owned a pair of Sidi Storms, and they didn't work as well as the Lakes. The best for extreme cold has been flats. (The flex in the shoe while running flats helps with circulation and thus helps keep the foot warm.) Flats have kept me warm on 8F commutes to work.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

lake mx155

I've been using lake <a href="http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/11/04/lake-mx155-shoes/">mx155's</a> for 2 winters. they're probably not as warm as the 300's but paired with heavy socks and/or neoprene socks I've been alrite down to 0 F for commuting. not sure if tehy're still available though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A good alternative that I've been using for 15 plus years in the winter are Goretex hiking boots with "Power grips" toestraps on platform pedals. they are easy to get in & out of and the boots keep my feet warm & dry on even the slopiest days.

Members who have read this thread: 0