mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Winter MTB Jacket - Gore, Castelli, Capo or other

I have not found a topic that would lean more towards MTB riding rather than Road riding.

What jackets are you using? It will be ridden below 0*C down to -15*C

I am looking at Gore Tool, Castelli Espresso Due and Capo Padrone along many others in this pricerange. All more tailored towards road except Gore.

I would like to hear some pros and cons if you have any of the above jackets, or how well the one you have is working for you.

Thanks, Chris.

mtbr member
    There's a million "what should I wear?" threads scattered all over the internet. You can read all of them but only you can decide what gear will work for your body at a given temp. Actually, you're probably on the WW forum. I think you're the Polish/Toronto guy?

I would suggest Rapha or Assos clothing. They're expensive but so are the ones you've listed. At 0oC I wear - Shimano boots. Men'sWorkWarehouse or Rapha winter socks. Rapha tights and bibs. Merino base layer. Jersey. Rapha Classic Softshell jacket. Hot Paws/Lobster gloves. Skull cap. Chapstick. > 2 hours on the road!

Below 0oC I wear the same but windproof tights and a balaclava.

Below -10oC I wear the same plus a face mask and 3/4 shorts under my windproof tights.

-15oC or lower is brutal. Stay off the roads, keep rides short and make sure no skin is exposed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi,

yes the same guy. I'm trying to find a jacket that will go over a base layer and worm jersey if it is really cold and in which I will not sweat much. I guess it is a bit like saddles or shoes for different people.

Most inportantly I do not want to layer too much. In below zero temperatures I usually end up wearing 3-4 layers with a vest on top. That still lets wind/windchill in and gets really hot when I end up riding slowly/uphill on the trail. This year I will be in Toronto so plenty of riding on the road will be involved. That makes it more complicated how to stay worm going 25km/h and also pushing my way through snowy trail.

Now it is down to the Castelli Espresso or Gore Tool jackets. What stops me from even getting both to try which works best for me is sizing. I know L in Castelli will fit me but the sleeves will be way too long. Gore has a funny sizing too where I fit a Large in their chest dimentions but then it'll probably be too long with long sleeves too.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Consider Endura too. Their Stealth II is working very well for me.

mtbr member
    I'd go shopping around Toronto and try everything on and ask other guys what they're using. La Bicicletta was very helpful for me two years ago. I basically spent a day there trying and buying a whole new cycling wardrobe.
    You might want to look at the Assos Fugu Jacket. It costs a billion dollars but you wear a base and the jacket and that's it.
    Review of Assos Fugujack Jacket - Competitive Cyclist
    Assos fuguJack review - YouTube

Also, minus 15oC is crazy cold on the road. You're going to need awesome boots if you plan on doing any sort of serious ride. Booties won't cut it. You're going to need boots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Chris

I moved from Ottawa to Norcal and like my Castelli and Assos jackets. Not a fan of how the Gore Tool fits and think Castelli has much better fabrics. I have monkey arms so Castelli fits me fine. Would get the Espresso Duo if you are doing a mix of road and MTB.

What are you using as a base and an insulator? Base for me is all about moisture management and its the insulator that keeps you warm.

Would suggest something like a Craft Extreme base and a good thick Merino Jersey to help stay warm

-Shane

Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    Hi,

yes the same guy. I'm trying to find a jacket that will go over a base layer and worm jersey if it is really cold and in which I will not sweat much. I guess it is a bit like saddles or shoes for different people.

Most inportantly I do not want to layer too much. In below zero temperatures I usually end up wearing 3-4 layers with a vest on top. That still lets wind/windchill in and gets really hot when I end up riding slowly/uphill on the trail. This year I will be in Toronto so plenty of riding on the road will be involved. That makes it more complicated how to stay worm going 25km/h and also pushing my way through snowy trail.

Now it is down to the Castelli Espresso or Gore Tool jackets. What stops me from even getting both to try which works best for me is sizing. I know L in Castelli will fit me but the sleeves will be way too long. Gore has a funny sizing too where I fit a Large in their chest dimentions but then it'll probably be too long with long sleeves too.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been going insane trying to find a Windstopper or similar softshell. I bought a Gore Phantom SO from Backcountry.com in Large, tried it on, was shocked at how it didn't fit me (I am a Large in every other jacket like ever), And I tried a Large in Specialized and it was even tighter and shorter. Like, for the Gore I'd be an XXL! WTF

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Gore is considered a 'European' fit, that is, size up one for us 'Mericans. It also is not a Jacket fit, despite the name; it is sized and fits like a jersey (tight).

My money, for mountain biking, anyway, is an inexpensive softshell. The name of the game is cutting the wind, not stopping it, otherwise you don't vent moisture as well (as much as Gore would like you to believe). Softshells, especially the less expensive ones, are very abrasion resistant, something that the more expensive cycling-specific stuff like the Gore can't match...though they are certainly nice, just for other reasons.

Aim for $65-75 for a softshell. REI/EMS/Backcountry, etc, will all have something on sale that works well. Look for something with minimal loft on the insulation, if any, and a drop tail (most of them will have this, as outerwear).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, you're totally right! I realized this after trying on a Specialized jacket in L and having it go down not even to my navel. Aside from barely being able to zip it. I want a "jacket" jacket, not a glorified jersey.

The reason I hadn't tried a general use softshell is that I became hellbound on finding a Windstopper softshell that had either detachable sleeves, or at least pit zips. Many of the softshells I see don't have pit zips, curiously. At least from shopping online. I need to just drive 45 minutes to REI and try stuff on in person.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The Gore is considered a 'European' fit, that is, size up one for us 'Mericans. It also is not a Jacket fit, despite the name; it is sized and fits like a jersey (tight).

My money, for mountain biking, anyway, is an inexpensive softshell. The name of the game is cutting the wind, not stopping it, otherwise you don't vent moisture as well (as much as Gore would like you to believe). Softshells, especially the less expensive ones, are very abrasion resistant, something that the more expensive cycling-specific stuff like the Gore can't match...though they are certainly nice, just for other reasons.

Aim for $65-75 for a softshell. REI/EMS/Backcountry, etc, will all have something on sale that works well. Look for something with minimal loft on the insulation, if any, and a drop tail (most of them will have this, as outerwear).