Thread: Winter Gloves

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Winter Gloves

Hey Guys,

I have a pair of axo ride and axo torque full finger gloves for fairer weather, and I am looking for a pair of nice and warm winter gloves. We get quite a bit of snow here, and freezing fingers suck. What do you guys suggest? Looking to keep it under 30 dollars.

mtbr member
    How cold?

Here's what I do.

Above 40 deg: normal long fingered fox gloves $14.95
    25-40deg: Polartec windstopper fleece gloves $20
    15-25deg: Cheap bulky no-name winter/snow gloves with thinsulate $6.99
    0-15 deg: Add polypro glove liners and chemical handwarmers to above. Glove liners $4.99 and hand warmers $0.70/pr

So far so good. I'm still looking for some better gloves for the subzero days that don't cost $70-120.

Be sure and get gloves that fit fairly big and don't cut off circulation. No matter how much insulation you have.... if the blood stops flowing you're screwed.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'd say 20-40 degrees. Anything colder than that would probably be ridiculous IMO.

mtbr member
    I think the Six Six One "Storm" gloves are fantastic. The temps were in the mid 20's last week and my hands were never cold with these gloves. Green fish has them on sale for $20. They're usually 40. Here's the link...............http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1618.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Those 661 storm's look pretty nice. Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When the mercury drops below 25 deg I have a pair of Louis Garneau gloves. I can't find a model on them, but they only have three fingers. Kinda like the vulcan "live long and prosper" salute. I've worn these in crisp sub zero temps (no liners or shells) and my hands haven't even got cool. WARNING: These gloves will collect more dust than riding time, because their only comfortable when it's really, really cold. (just went to the L.G. website. these are called "Magma" gloves.)

my church is the woods

my choice

I found a deal on the planet bike borealis last year, they are warm and comfy, well made too. I've started using them for the this winter season again and I have no problems at 20deg temps. not too bulky either. they seem like they are going to last a lot longer than the pearl izumi's I had previously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ... Winter Glove

I also have been using the Planet Bike Borealis. This is my second winter in Korea with this glove and seeing as how I only paid 20 bucks for them they have proven more than worth the money. They are waterproof...they are windproof and they are warm...period. I just went for a night ride last night and the temp was 19F...my hands were toasty all ride. I do however wear a thin knit glove liner under them as well. If you don't, your hands will SWEAT in these gloves and that sweat will make you cold as soon as you make the mistake of taking the gloves off to open that Powerbar or whatever stubborn wrapper you have. As soon as you put that hand back into the wet glove...which is now cold your hands will never warm back up again. The gloves will be just enough to keep you from getting frostbite but not comfy anymore. Additionally, I washed these last night and forgot to pull them out of the wash. I was kicking myself until picking them up. The inner liner was dry while the outer glove was wet...I put my hand in and was thoroughly surprised when my hand felt no moisture and was still warm. This is a great and cheap glove for winter...just remember to wear liners underneath. By the way...if it's not no kidding cold...i.e. 35ish to 0ish these gloves are TOO much. They are THAT warm.

Members who have read this thread: 0