Thread: winter gear

ragley blue pig x

winter gear

where do I start, I need a waterproof and windproof jacket with a hood full length trousers (pants) and something to wick the sweat away when I slow down a bit, all this for Scotland where its either torrential rain, rain that's a fine spray or gale force winds that make you sweat like hell after 4 minutes of pedalling. I've got winter gear for walking but im guessing i would overheat then the sweat would make me freeze after a few minutes if i wore it on the bike. don't know where to start as i usually hibernate during the winter but want to get out and about this year. want to keep it to the mid price stuff but would be willing to pay for quality

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm not familiar with any European retailers. I have found most of my best deals on clothing on the "Clearance" racks at local bike shops and sporting goods stores. I try to know which local shops sell the best stuff, and then I stop by every few weeks to see what they have marked down.

When you're looking at shoes, be sure to pay attention to how insulated and waterproof they are. Most MTB shoes are designed for summer weather and hot places, so they maximize airflow. When you're riding in cold wet weather, that's not what you want. If you can't find bad-weather shoes, you can get some shoe covers like the roadies wear.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Endura

Its a Scottish brand and probably the best at the stuff your looking for.

ragley blue pig x
    cheers for the replys, aye endura prolly ken their stuff, what do i need after a pair of pants though.

shoes or boots: didnae think of these, usualy get some water running into the trainers when its raining and im going to work

base layer: does it have to be skintight or loose

outer layer: whats the best..goretex, plastic or whatever

mtbr member
    You can get overshoes to help with wet feet.

Your base layer should be quite tight to wick away sweat better.

There's lots of good outer layers, there is a huge selection of softshell and hardshell layers on the market, it's hard to say what's "best". Generally, a windproof softshell along with wool base layers is very good when it's cold and windy and a hardshell is better when there's precipitation. If you have rain, snow and wind all at the same time...HTFU and pedal through it

Fat-tired Roadie
    Punctuation. Also, what temperature band?

I have a Showers Pass rain jacket. Probably the most expensive article of clothing I own. After that, wool hat, tights (don't try to be waterproof here,) wool socks, and full-fingered gloves.

While I sometimes use overshoes when I ride the road, I don't like the way they cover some of the sole of my shoe, so I don't use them for MTB. If I'm riding in snow or something, I switch to hiking boots and flat pedals.

Maybe one of these days I'll feel comfortable spending the money to try water proof cycling shoes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

ragley blue pig x
    according to the met office the average min temp is around -1c but you do sometimes get extremes like -21c but they are rare.

when its sleet, snow and gale force winds are my big wory i might be better joining the gym for days like these.

ive got a cheap pair of base layers i bought last year so i guess thats a start
    dunno if they will be any good though as they are a cotton and synthetic mix and slightly baggy ill find out soon enough and ill probably get some hiking boots like you suggest as im a spiked flats fan.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, if you don't ride clipless, there's no reason at all to mess around with shoe covers.

For disclosure, it almost never gets as cold around here as what you're dealing with. But, I'll share what works for me for the lowest I ride in.

Layers are a big one.

For freezing temperatures, I get into insulated gloves. It's hard to find good cycling-specific insulated gloves, although some people swear by their lobster claws. But a light weight ski glove works great. Think XC or back-country skiing. Alpine gloves tend to be overkill.

I bought a fleece cycling cap with ear flaps a while ago. It's way too warm most of the time, and awesome on the occasions when I need it.

Wool scarves are bulky and I hate covering my nose and mouth. But a light scarf can be awesome.

Hope that helps.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

turtles make me hot
    Bikeman Lake MXZ 303 - X Winter Cycling Shoe - Size 40-Wide

I have these. Best money I've spent so far on my winter cycling clothing.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Do you need or are there such things as waterproof vests to keep warm... like thermal vests?