Thread: Winter booties

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Winter booties

This is the time of year my feet really start to suffer on rides! I live in the midwest and the temperature is typically anywhere from 30 degrees on a nice day to 0 and less. I have a pair of old Lake winter shoes which are OK but what I would like are a good pair of heavy booties to wear over my regular shoes. I had a pair of old Performance booties that I really liked, heavy neopreme with full rubber soles and a zipper up the back, but the zipper has shelled out and Performance doesn't have them anymore. Anybody know of a similar bootie? One other factor. I have big feet and some of the booties I have tried dont fit. I recieved some Pearl Typhoons(XL) as a gift a couple of years ago and they didn't fit over my shoes. I might have to resort to duct tape to hold them on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i've been using some gator booties that i picked up on pricepoint for cheap money. thick 3mm neoprene and a zipper back. the bottom isn't that strong, but they sit above the tread of my shoes so they never really touch the ground. i rode all last winter 4-5 days a week on mine and they look fine. when it gets really cold, sub 0 and windy, i'll put heavy wool socks over my bike shoes then pull the booties on. warm and toasty

mtbr member
    Booties are by no means bomb proof...add mud or a lot of hiking and they're a mess. That said, if you stay in pedals are a just looking for something to keep the wind/wet out you might want to check out the Pearl Izumi Barrier MTB Covers.

I've been running the same pair for 3yrs and they're in pretty good shape still..that includes some hiking here and there and mud. Not fully waterproof...but they cut the wind very well and easily shed light rain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use the Bontrager fleece lined booties with some foot warmers from Walfart in the shoes on extra cold days. I also wear shoes that are 2 sizes too big in the winter months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions! I also have been using toe warmers stuck on the outside of my socks which really seem to help. I have been wearing wigwam InGenius socks (wool with an attached liner) for several years and really like them. My problem is my feet are big (size 49) and as I get older I don't like having my feet constricted with tight shoes. I ordered a pair of Pearl Barrier covers in XXL size and will see how those work.