mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Will threaded pins tear up my 5.10s?

Or perhaps I should ask if I even need threaded pins on my pedals if I have 5.10 's
    The threaded pins have torn up the soles of every other shoe I have worn.

RideDirt
    really ? ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for that very informative answer......

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Pay no mind to us...
    Adidas/5.10 don't exactly give their shoes away so this is a valid concern and one that I had when I went to 5.10 initially.

I have had a pair of 5.10 Impact Lo for over 2 years (just about 2.5 now) and have used them with DMR and Wellgo pedals and if you were to look at the bottom of my shoes you would see some signs of wear but nothing like these pedals would do to other shoes.

I used a pair of Nike trail ACG shoes prior to the Impact and the DMR pedals at the time would just rip the outsole to shreds...was some Nike 'ndestrukt' outsole or some business and the pedals just torn them up.

Based on what I have seen so far I would say my 5.10 are good for another 2-3 years or so and I can't say that I've seen the grip degrade during the time that I have had them - you know week 1 awesome grip, a year later grip is just a distant memory, etc...

I'll post up some pics so you can see what I'm talking about

Pay no mind to us...
    Here is the heel of my right shoe, left is similar:

Pay no mind to us...
    And here is the forefoot. Some wear as you can see but I'm not missing hunks of the outsole or anything like that:

Pay no mind to us...
    Probably worth mentioning that I ride 2-4 times a week/25-40 miles per week...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks......sounds like the soles are tougher than what I initially thought....

mtbr member
    May 2011

5.10 Impacts on Point 1 Podiums

I ride 2-4 times a week on Point 1 Podium Pedals. Short desert ride on the weekend and 2-3 canal rides in the 20 mile range during the week. Have had the Impacts for about 9 months and very little wear (nothing worth sending a photo). At this rate I think I will wear the shoes out in general before the soles. Just another data point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well....after only 2 or 3 rides I have already lost a couple of small yet noticeable chunks off the soles of my brand new 5.10's using my DMR pedals with threaded pins.

I'm afraid if I continue using those pedals, the soles of my 5.10's will be shredded sooner than I had hoped (they are the Cyclones...paid $135 bucks for them).

I'm going to switch over to some Diamond Back Big Foots (same pin pattern as the DMR's but the studs don't have threads....we'll see how good they stick....I expect those pins to dig into my 5.10's without actually tearing them up)

mtbr member
    Which DMR pedals are you using? I've never had issues with pedals tearing up my 5.10s and I've used several different types of platforms.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm using the DMR V8's.....

Name:  pedv8_1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  16.3 KB

These have a combination of threaded/non-threaded pins. Obviously the gouges are happening when my feet are sliding off the pedal (I'm coming over from clip-less to platforms and still getting the hang of it)

Could it be that because these don't have enough grip (because only the four corner pins are threaded) is what is wearing down the soles? Perhaps if I got a more aggressive pedal my feet will stick preventing the sliding (and gouging of the soles?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had my 5-10's for 3 years on Kona Wah Wah's and have had no issues at all, still going great.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    Could it be that because these don't have enough grip (because only the four corner pins are threaded) is what is wearing down the soles?
    nope.

if your feet are slippping off those, you're doing something wrong. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    nope.

if your feet are slippping off those, you're doing something wrong. Just sayin'.
    Yes I agree...like I said, I'm coming to platforms from clipless....still working on keeping my weight on my feet, keeping fleet planted while riding rock gardens, jumps, etc.

What I was wondering if a more aggressive pedal (i.e. 10 threaded pins vs. only 4 ) would actually cut down on the wear and tear on my 5.10's due to the fact there would be less of a chance for accidental slips...

mtbr member
    Yes I agree...like I said, I'm coming to platforms from clipless....still working on keeping my weight on my feet, keeping fleet planted while riding rock gardens, jumps, etc.

What I was wondering if a more aggressive pedal (i.e. 10 threaded pins vs. only 4 ) would actually cut down on the wear and tear on my 5.10's due to the fact there would be less of a chance for accidental slips...
    Nope. I currently run these and don't have any issues. Check out the Teva Pinner wear thread in this forum for pics of my 5.10 wear (or lack thereof).
    LMB

mtbr member
    Wait a minute, did you say the 5.10 Cyclones? Why are you using a clipless shoe with platform pedals? That's your problem right there. They're not designed for that. They'll definitely get chewed up in and around the center where that cover is designed to come off and put a cleat in. You won't have universal pressure across the soles of your shoes and have hotspots that will cause higher wear because you have that concave spot in the center.
    LMB

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    4 pins should be plenty

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Nope. I currently run these and don't have any issues. Check out the Teva Pinner wear thread in this forum for pics of my 5.10 wear (or lack thereof).
    Awesome.....that's what I figured....the pins on those pedals are NOT threaded (no sharp edges to gouge up the shoes)

Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Wait a minute, did you say the 5.10 Cyclones? Why are you using a clipless shoe with platform pedals? That's your problem right there. They're not designed for that. They'll definitely get chewed up in and around the center where that cover is designed to come off and put a cleat in. You won't have universal pressure across the soles of your shoes and have hotspots that will cause higher wear because you have that concave spot in the center.
    I have more than one bike......one the XC-ish bike and for XC-ish rides I like to be clipped in. On the more AM/DH bike I like to run platforms. I have bad ankles, I need the ankle support of the Cyclones for both XC and more aggressive riding. The cyclones fit the bill.

The Cyclones have the exact same sole as the other types of 5.10 shoes. Most quality platforms are concave in the center with pins only on the edges. So much for your universal pressure across the soles theory in addition, they don't have any pins in the center where the recess of the cleat would be. My shoes are not getting chewed up in the middle, only on the outer edges where the pins make contact.

. The Cyclones, even with the cleat installed, stick just fine to my platforms...that's why I bought them Anyway, I think I solved my problem with using pedals like the ones pictured above

Anyway, I think the non-threaded pins will work fine like I mentioned.

mtbr member
    Awesome.....that's what I figured....the pins on those pedals are NOT threaded (no sharp edges to gouge up the shoes)

I have more than one bike......one the XC-ish bike and for XC-ish rides I like to be clipped in. On the more AM/DH bike I like to run platforms. I have bad ankles, I need the ankle support of the Cyclones for both XC and more aggressive riding. The cyclones fit the bill.

The Cyclones have the exact same sole as the other types of 5.10 shoes. Most quality platforms are concave in the center with pins only on the edges. So much for your universal pressure across the soles theory in addition, they don't have any pins in the center where the recess of the cleat would be. My shoes are not getting chewed up in the middle, only on the outer edges where the pins make contact.

. The Cyclones, even with the cleat installed, stick just fine to my platforms...that's why I bought them Anyway, I think I solved my problem with using pedals like the ones pictured above

Anyway, I think the non-threaded pins will work fine like I mentioned.
    I've used the old Deity Decoys with threaded pins and had no issues either. Concave is one thing, but that's the shape of the pedals and they're made out of metal. They're also minimally concave. Concave rubber soles is another thing entirely. Even with a concave pedal with pins only at the edges, the shoe conforms to the pedal. You're placing all the pressure on the edges of the rubber, and the edges of that cutout. Plus those shoes are a lot more than a little concave. The whole center is cut out. Nothing against you man, I'm not trying to be mean. But you're using the wrong shoe for the wrong job. Five Ten never intended the clipless shoes to be used with platforms with aggressive pins, but merely to grip the edge of the clipless pedal and to not slip when clipping in and out, as well as giving you traction when hiking with your bike. You could try different pedals, but I think your results will be the same. Good luck in any case.

vs.
    LMB

Ninja Master Powers
    If the pin is threaded or. It should not make any difference in shoe wear.
    How tall the pin is maybe will though.

That said I've been on a pair of 5-10 Impacts for two years now. They've been used with "threaded" pins ( sunline V1's I think they were ) sharp pointed pins about the same length as the threaded pins (Twenty 6) and now Straightline's.

I only wear the 5-10's for riding, I change in and out if them at the start/finish of a ride.

The soles, while not brand new looking are fine certainly no "chunks" out of them. The shoes grip on the pedals is the same as they were the first time I wore them. I'll say that the Straightlines are the grippiest pedals I've used to date; they have a nearly clipped in feel.

Someone else in this thread said it best, you're using the wrong shies for the job.