mtbr member

Wide feet ... 5.10 Hellcat spd? or....

Hey,
    I'm shopping for a "sneaker" style spd shoe. My shoe size is 12.5 2e (wide)

The 5.10 Hellcat looks wide. Anyone have these shoes?
    Would you say they are more wide than narrow?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Well I have more of a narrow foot, so the Minaars (same as hellcat, different color) feel a bit wide to me- so u should expect a fairly normal width, but perhaps a bit on the wide side.

More importantly, I have a size 13 foot and I had to buy the minaars in a size 11.5! yea they run big for sure. I also own a set of the impacts and had to buy a size 12.

Hope this helps, but if you can I highly recommend trying them on before you buy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    spd and 5.10 do not mix IMO. one or the other, not both.

try pearl izumi x-alp seek or lake mx985 (i think is the model #)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have super wide feet, & the 661 filter spd shoe is amazing, most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. If you get off your bike super easy to climb with. The only shoe I have never got foot cramps from! I am going to try flats, so I have a pair of 5.10 on order.

FartFigNewton
    I have the hellcats. They do run wide and also seem to run a half size too large.

I love them. Using them with shimano 540s and 647s with no problems at all. Feel great on and off the bike. Highly recommend them.

FWIW I tried to use them with a pair of Mallets, as is seemed to be the ideal combo of platform / cliplesss pedal for a shoe with Stealth rubber / cleats. I hated them, found it very hard to disengage and I needed to shim the cleats excessively in order to reliably clip in. Used the mallets for only 3-4 rides and now they're in the parts bin. Ive read reviews from others who liked the mallets and the hellcats, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTWT
    I have the hellcats. They do run wide and also seem to run a half size too large.

I love them. Using them with shimano 540s and 647s with no problems at all. Feel great on and off the bike. Highly recommend them.

FWIW I tried to use them with a pair of Mallets, as is seemed to be the ideal combo of platform / cliplesss pedal for a shoe with Stealth rubber / cleats. I hated them, found it very hard to disengage and I needed to shim the cleats excessively in order to reliably clip in. Used the mallets for only 3-4 rides and now they're in the parts bin. Ive read reviews from others who liked the mallets and the hellcats, so YMMV.

+1

Love my hellcats!!!!!! Using them with CB Candy pedals. I wear them to work also and they're so comfortable I usuall wear them all day.
    A man of sound mind is one who keeps the inner mad man under lock and key.

Kneel before Zod!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VP Not Free View Post
    I have super wide feet, & the 661 filter spd shoe is amazing, most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. If you get off your bike super easy to climb with. The only shoe I have never got foot cramps from! I am going to try flats, so I have a pair of 5.10 on order.
    Hey VP,

I have super wide feet too. What model 5.10 did you order? Im assuming you did your research and found a wide one. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For clipless, 661, & I started using flats so I ordered the Sam Hills. I should be getting them on Tuesday.