Lucifer rides an mtb

Why not use commuter helmet?

Can somebody enlighten me about the fundemental differences between helmets with a standard mtb design vs. "commuter" specific designs like the Bell Metro? I read some posts in the wear/don't wear helmet thread and they peaked my interest.

My riding style is a hybrid: mix of road, x-country and single track.. includes lots of winter & night riding. I kind of like some of the Bell Metro features such as the rear flasher for night riding, winter liner and rain shield.. wondering if anybody can tell me about possible drawbacks to using this type of helmet if you're not a commuter. About the only thing I can tell from pics on their web site is that it doens't look to be as well vented.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K

I kind of like some of the Bell Metro features such as the rear flasher for night riding, winter liner and rain shield.. wondering if anybody can tell me about possible drawbacks to using this type of helmet if you're not a commuter. About the only thing I can tell from pics on their web site is that it doens't look to be as well vented.
    it can get very hot on sunny days, especially if you use the liner...in toronto, we're seeing more taxis and buicks...it will soon be time to bring out the full face abnd body armour

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some theorize the Metro style is safer because it is more rounded and won't catch on stuff as badly during a fall, especially pavement. About the only drawback I can see is the one you mentioned, ventilation. Looks are subjective. Some might call it a drawback but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Seems like a pretty versatile helmet and very reasonably priced. If practicality and value are on the top of your list it looks like a winner.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    Can somebody enlighten me about the fundemental differences between helmets with a standard mtb design vs. "commuter" specific designs like the Bell Metro?
    For the same reason someone might opt for an everyday pair of shorts and a T-shirt for a run to the store (instead of a full lycra getup), the Metro and the Transit just fit a more laid-back aesthetic compared to your "splashy" mountain bike helmet.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN