I always bleed like this.

Who is using a single non HID helmet light?

Most people seem to be using a dual setup of some sort or an HID. For those who are using a single helmet mounted no HID light, what are you using and what are your impressions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Jetlites Phantom or Axis are fantastic helmet lights. There are many who use them. I sold mine to a buddy who loves it. I rode with him at night and that thing really lights up the trail. He has the Phantom and it is all he needs. The new 25w one is even brighter.

Jets are very reliable, very durable, well designed with breakaway mounts,and very weatherproof. You can get them at great prices if you know who to call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just got a dinotte 200l with the longer cord to run on my helmet. This is my first bike light so I don't have much to compare it to, but it rocks. I can ride without a problem as it is my only light. It would help to have a light on the bars as well, but i have not had a problem seeing where I'm going at night with this light. I've been riding singletrack and it lights it up really well. I've noticed that I do have some issue with depth perception that a bar light may resolve, however it is only on certain terrain and isn't really a big deal. Possibly if I had a HID before this light I wouldn't think it was that great, but since it is all I know it is really a nice light. You can get the lithim version for $165 at nashbar right now with the 20% off coupon. This is really a great price for a great light.

I always bleed like this.
    I have always liked the Dinotte's, too bad Nashbar is in Ohio, tax plus shipping ruins the deal.
    Good package though, makes me wonder why Niterider does not include a helmet mount with the x2 like Dinotte does with their lights.

mtbr member
    Would one 200l Dinotte mounted on the helmet be enough light for basic XC single track riding? Seems like two would be better, but $165 is a good deal on that light and I could always supplement with another handlebar-mounted light later...
    NKAWTG

mtbr member

200L helmet mounted

Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    Would one 200l Dinotte mounted on the helmet be enough light for basic XC single track riding? Seems like two would be better, but $165 is a good deal on that light and I could always supplement with another handlebar-mounted light later...
    I've always told people ( before getting my 200L ) that I could never ride with just a helmet light unless I was using an HID lamp. I've used my 200L both on helmet and the bars and both ways work fine. I have to admit that I think it works much better helmet mounted even though I bought it to bar mount. Most certainly, you can use the 200L helmet mounted by itself and be able to see just fine. I like to think of the beam pattern as an "intermediate spot". Beyond the 25' range the beam fans out right well and is very bright. If you were planning on doing high speed downhills you might need more light but for all-around mountain biking the 200L Helmeted mounted will be all that you need. Add a second bar mounted with the flood optic and that would be even better. Just make sure you buy the one with the longer cord if you want to helmet mount. If you buy one with the short cord you can still helmet mount but then you have to mount the battery on the helmet which is sort of clunky looking. Tonight I'll be placing an order for a second 200L.

UFO Bike Commander
    Picked up a MiNewt X2 (for longer run times and brighter light output than Halogen), and cheaper maintenance than HID... Loved it so much, got a 2nd unit, then a TriNewt... (all weather, year round commuter in the PNW). I find the 7 hour lowbeam runtime was perfect for that 24 mile ride I did last night (started at 10:30PM), I could have run for 21 hours straight (one light after another after another w/o charging).
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I run a single 20W halogen overvolted to 14.4V. I find that to be plenty bright. I ride with people who run HIDs, and as far as I can tell, they don't have noticeably more light output than me.

It's a DIY light made from steel tubing, so it's unlikely to break in a crash. I do carry a spare bulb for it, and have 2 small Cree flashlights (AA) in case of emergencies.

Recently I've tried riding with a 3-4 AA Cree flashlights strapped to my helmet. The light output is still sufficient for twisty technical riding (i.e. not real fast) and they weigh a lot less than the halogen. And it costs peanuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just riding along a non-technical trail will be okay. The 200L is not much more than a commuter light and smooth and flat hardpack should be fine. However, I sure would not use it on its own in steeper/twisty/rocky singletrack or trails where you will be riding pretty fast. For that, you should at least use two 200Ls or one helmet-mounted light that gives you 500 Lumens or above.

mtbr member
    Can you buy a cree-equipped flashlight, or do you have to upgrade them yourself?
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    May 2004
    +1 on the Jet Phantom 20w. Blows my old homemade setup away. Looking to go HID though, for added run time, since my group rides longer than my battery will last at the brightest setting.

mtbr member
    If I were to use only one light, I would mount it to my handlebar and not my helmet. I know there will be people who reply that they use a single light on their helmet and it works fine, but it is not ideal. With a single helmet mounted light you get MUCH less depth perception because it greatly reduces the amount of shadows you see. This is because the light source is very close to your eyes. You do have the advantage of the light going were you are looking and not where the handlebar is turned though. And yes, I do speak from experience. My experience is with very technical singletrack and 24 hour racing. Other types of riding like commuting or fireroads may work better with a single helmet mounted light, but I do not know for sure.

My first choice for technical trails, and what i use right now, is a bright medium flood on the bar, and a smaller medium spot on my helmet. I am currently using a triple Cree LED run at 700mA (so like 550 lumens) on the bar and a single Soeul LED run at 1000mA (like 200 lumens) on my helmet, both homemade.

My second choice would be a bright single medium flood on the bar

And my last choice would be a single helmet mounted light.

BTW, there are quite a few flashlights that use the Cree and Soeul LEDs, just check out:

http://www.dealextreme.com/

If I were you, I would get something like the Dinotte for the bar and strap a Cree flashlight to your helmet!
    I hope this helps, and good luck!

Mark

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    Can you buy a cree-equipped flashlight, or do you have to upgrade them yourself?
    You can get them from:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.942
    https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/SubC...px?TranID=8180

I just zip-tie them to my helmet. Looks dorky, but it's nighttime and it works well enough that it's allowed me to procrastinate hugely on my DIY triple Cree project

Note: if you do order from DX or Kai, don't expect a quick delivery. Both stores can have *very* long lead times (4-5 weeks).

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    I ride one dinotte on my bar, and one on my head. but I turn the head one down if foggy/ or dusty. One is enough to ride also, for sure!!! Awesome lights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agreed- if you're riding flowy singletrack, some may be able to do that but for anything really twisty and steep, especially in the mountians where you cannot see around corners, a helmet-mounted light is the only safe option. Mounting a bar-mounted light as a secondary light is a great idea but I'd never make it through q ride if I only had a bar-mounted light. I'd probably fly off the side the first time a sharp turn came up- unless I walked each one.

Roadies can get away with a bar light as well.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I am. 12V-10W MR11 bulb overvolted 20% currently. Way better light than any LED on the market right now and it only cost me oh, $60 to set it up this way.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I am. 12V-10W MR11 bulb overvolted 20% currently. Way better light than any LED on the market right now and it only cost me oh, $60 to set it up this way.

Could you elaborate on this please? Doesn't really make much sense to me, being a light noob.
    NKAWTG

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm running a regular halogen light for my helmet, a Specialized branded one from a few years ago. I just switched out the bulb to a 12V model (it was originally a 6V) and replaced changed the battery to a 14.4V one built up using 12 DuraCell AA size 2650mah NiMh batteries. The bulb cost $5, the batteries are $15/4, and the light was on discount from a bike store and I just swapped the connections for the batteries. Pretty much all my own lights for myself are currently going to over-volted (over volting a halogen bulb increases the efficiency, plenty of other threads in here explain the hows and whys) halogen setups built around these duracell batteries, and my loaner lights are going to LED's and regular voltage halogens with heavier battery packs (usually sealed lead acid ones for the halogens).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0