Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Who is making WIDE mountain bike shoe sizes?

I wear an 11 wide shoe. I am looking for two types of shoes - more on why later. One would be a Hiking bike type shoe with holes for cleats. the other would be a hiking cycling shoe that does not have any holes for cleats.

Jake

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the same issue. I am a 9.5 or 10 wide (4E), and I have tried to find a good platform shoe for mountain biking as well. I currently use the Merrell Moab (low), and the fit is perfect, grip is good, but sometimes the tread makes it difficult to position my feet on the pedals. Anyone know of any shoes that are good for really wide feet?

mtbr member
    Although I am a lady, I too prefer a wide shoe and I have found the KEEN mtb shoes to wider than other brands. I absolutely love the Springwater fit.

Amazon.com: Keen Men's Springwater II Cycling Shoe: Shoes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have wide feet, and I bought the first (I think) version of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro. Great fit, have always been comfortable, and they're decent for hike-a-bike. I have these ones:
    Name:  XAlpEnduro-480-70.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  32.5 KB

Not sure if the newer ones keep the same fit, but I think they'd be worth a look.

Amazon.com: Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Alp Enduro III Spinning Shoe: Shoes

Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi - Ride Men's X-Alp Enduro IV Cycling Shoe: Shoes

mtbr member
    I have flippers for feet, wide in the forefoot with dainty little ankles. Specialized shoes have been solid favorites for me, though I tried on some 2014 models and I think their new shoes are narrower.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Giro has HV variations for their shoes (High Volume). And they have half-sizes to really dial in the fit. I have a couple hundred miles on a pair and really like them.
    Rokworth.com | Parts, Product Reviews & Tests

mtbr member

Re: Who is making WIDE mountain bike shoe sizes?

Sidi has Mega ie wide

mtbr member
    Even though they are not listed as wide, I have had excellent luck with my Pearl Izumi X-ALP Launch shoes. They are comfortably wide, reasonably stiff, and the rubber sole has excellent grip on hike-a-bike sections on Tahoe granite. I have also had excellent luck with several Lake models---I think the old Lake MX 170 was the most "wide foot friendly" version of their wide mtb shoes. I shifted over to Pearl Izumi shoes last year because I was having a hard (but not impossible) time tracking down the wide versions of the Lake shoe--and I was able to pick up the Pearl Izumis for a very good price (i.e. they were cheap enough to take the risk).

I have had Sidi Megas in the distant past. They are great shoes but I found them to be a little too narrow for me feet. I also found that I strongly prefer a rubber sole to a nylon sole for the areas that I ride--so I switched to Lakes for several years.

Just an fyi, I have size 9.5/10 feet and usually wear a size 2E width. If I had to wear size 4E width shoes, I would probably focus my search on Lake models.

mtbr member
    Shimano MO 88 has a wide version:

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com...road_tr002.png

I also have wide feet. I bought a pair last month and they fit me pretty well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Shimano M162 have a nice fit on wide feet, the toe box is roomy, very good insole and the ratcheting adjustment and velcro pulls make for a customizable fit. They look good too, I highly recommend these.

squish, squish in da fish
    i wear keen or merrell for hiking as i have a 12 4e. keen has a huge toe box for sure. i wear flats so no real help there, but 5.10's have a nice toe box also.

workin' it Administrator
    Lake makes wide shoes in a lot of its models from racy ones to hiking style ones. They are reasonably wide. I have a wide, high volume foot and wear some lake shoes. Fits as well as my previous sidi mega's only the sole isn't plastic like the sidis.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm not sure how wide my feet are but I wear a 8.5 and the Five Ten shoes are narrow. I have used some shoe spreaders to help my impacts but I pretty much wasted $50 on the hellcats I bought.

I have a 20% coupon I can use at REI to try some out. They have a ridiculous return policy so I can try some out and they will take them back if the are no good for me. Any recommendation on what to try based on what they sell?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I bought the Shimano M088s in their wide version, and am impressed. The M162 is also available in WIDE, but I don't think any other Shimano models are. Both shoes are very good. Unlike many other MTB shoes, the Shimano sole is soft and it's like like skating on ice when you are on rock or concrete. They have a lot of traction and are not ridiculous to walk in.

squish, squish in da fish
    rei will take anything back w/ a receipt regardless of time past. this is a good thing, watch for their garage sales as they sell these items dirt cheap

Kaishingo
    I'm part of the wide foot club as well. Been suffering with hot-spots in Shimanos. Found the time a couple weeks ago to go shoe shopping. I was really wanting to spring for the Sidi Mega Dominators - my wife has some Sidi's and I love the features of the shoes and how they are in-destructible. However, I found the megas to suck. Sidi added all the width in the toe box only, and they slimmed down to a normal shoe immediately in the arch.

I also tried on a pair of budget priced Mavics that day (these guys: Rush | Mavic - United States). They were available in wide sizes, and I found them to be much more comfortable then the Sidis. I was ready to pay for the top-end model, but it turns out only the budget level was available in the wider widths. Used them on the road this past week (still soggy up here in the NE), and so far so good!
    kaishingoapparel.com
    Eco-Friendly Cycling Jerseys

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm 10/EEE with narrow heels and a high instep, and I found that the Mavic shoes fit well (pre-high volume models). I tried Sidi Mega but the buckle used rigid plastic which cut into my foot, and as wuzilla said, they taper too quickly. Mavic buckles are rubber and flex better. The rest of the time I wear Keen flip-flops, they are the only ones I've found that I don't hang over the sides, and the toe caps keep me from scooping up snow.

mtbr member
    I too am looking at the Keen Springwater II's but i read a couple reviews about the stiffener plate suddenly breaking. Anybody have any long term experience with these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wearing an 11/4E, I was using New Balance running shoes and the lugs slipped around a lot in rough terrain. I tried everything I could find. Finally, I re-visited size 11 Five Ten Freeriders and found that if I lace the lower section loosely, and the uppers more tightly, to my surprise they seem to work quite well. Most of the rides here are steep -- which means lots of hike-a-bike for me. They are "snug" but cause no pain or hot spots on long rides. Very happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    +1 on the M088. I was trying shoes on this past week and tried the wide and regular. The regular are wide to start with and the wides are just a tad wider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3j3j3j View Post
    +1 on the M088. I was trying shoes on this past week and tried the wide and regular. The regular are wide to start with and the wides are just a tad wider.
    Same here. I bought a pair in February. I always have a hard time getting a good fit with my clodhopper feet, and these are working great for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    rei will take anything back w/ a receipt regardless of time past. this is a good thing, watch for their garage sales as they sell these items dirt cheap
    Not anymore. Now there's a 1 year return because people abused the old policy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wear an 11 4E and have four pairs of shoes that I wear.

Specialized Expert - this one comes in a wide and is pretty comfortable. more of a XC racing shoe. Expensive
    Shimano RO88W - road version of M088 others have mentioned. Also comfortable. Not as stiff as the Specialized. Reasonable
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp something something - Available in one width, run wide. These are the shoes that I wear when I know there's going to be a fair amount of hike-a-bike. Inexpensive.
    510 something - not available in wide, and not very comfortable. But awesome grip on flats. Inexpensive

I want to try PI's new wonder shoe (Project X), but I hear that it does not run as wide as the X-Alp series.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Jake View Post
    I wear an 11 wide shoe. I am looking for two types of shoes - more on why later. One would be a Hiking bike type shoe with holes for cleats. the other would be a hiking cycling shoe that does not have any holes for cleats.

Jake
    I have ridiculously wide feet, a high arch and a very high instep. I have personally worn wide shoes from the following brands on extended and marathon rides with excellent results: Lake something or other (specifically marketed as being for wide feet), Keen Springwater (don't know if you can get them anymore) and Shimano M162. I've owned the Lake and Keens for several years and the Shimano for a couple.

I don't think people who don't have wide feet really understand the abject misery that a pair of too-narrow biking shoes can inflict on someone with wide feet. I'm glad there are some choices out there.

Good luck and don't settle.

I like this place

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Shimano MO 88 has a wide version:

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com...road_tr002.png

I also have wide feet. I bought a pair last month and they fit me pretty well.
    +1
    Just bought a pair of these in the wide version and they are hands down, the most comfortable shoes i have ever owned.

Plus the rubber sole is a bonus on the hike a bikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast