mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Whistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.

So im going to whistler this summer for 2 weeks and have done little downhilling before. So hopefully i dont take a tumble, but just incase ive invested in a solid amount of armor. I need suggestions from anyone whos been to whistler on whether or not the stuff i have on is up to the job of taking on the mountain. New to this, so attachments might be a little screwed up:

Whistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-image.jpgWhistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-photo.jpgWhistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-image_1.jpgWhistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-image_2.jpg

Kit is as followed:
    • SixSixOne Evo Wired Helmet
    • SixSixOne Evo Knee Pads
    • SixSixOne Sub Shorts
    • SixSixOne Comp Elbow
    • SixSixOne Core Saver
    • Some old soccer shin guards (They do the job haha)
    • Leatt Comp 4 Neck Brace
    • POC Flow Shorts
    • Fox Blackout Jersey
    • I also have old Kyle strait knee pads, i've heard that Evo's may not offer alot of protection, any ideas on that?

In your honest opinion do you think i went over board, or if i haven't gone over board enough with the protection?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-image_1.jpg  

Whistler 2013 Kit - Take a look.-image_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Never been to Whistler only seen videos but I'll say this. Safety is paramount in our sport. Wear what your comfortable in and enjoy the ride.

Gnar
    Looks good! I think you are very well equipped. The only thing I would recommend is to add some shoulder protection. I used to wear a full 661 pressure suit, but this year I am using the Troy Lee Designs 5955 chest protector. Works with the Leatt neck brace. Had a crash and took a big hit to the shoulder, totally saved me.

You will have great time at Whistler!

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/5200-02

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Tons of people wear that style of knee guard there so you should be ok. I personally prefer the more plastic style as they slide along the rocks better after you take a spill so they have less chance I find of being ripped down. I own the 661's and some THE. THE for downhill and 661's for xc/am riding for me at least. I also secound shoulder gear but I am an old guy so I just like to cover all bases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the responses, i kinda agree with you guys on the whole shoulder protection thing, but i just feel like since your shoulder is a joint that moves in all directions (Laterally and vertically), do you find that Armour with shoulder protection limits your range of motion at all? Because im a rider that likes to bounce and hop around on the bike, which means im pumping my arms alot and throwing my body weight around. Atleast thats what i was thinking when i bought the only vest version of the armour. But then again looking at the pictures above again my shoulders are pretty exposed :P. Right now im all out of money to spend on gear, so i just gotta hope my shoulders dont take a serious blow out west.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    If you have flames on your suit you will be 1.28 x faster.

Looks fine.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Probably a silly question, but what exactly does the neck brace do? It looks like you could still over extend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey, i can see what you mean from the pictures that i posted. Thats when im standing up straight so it looks like the helmet wont be in contact if i crash. But when your in riding position and your shoulders are a little more hunched, the brace does its job. It may not look like its doing anything now, but like when you ride with it, it does the job. Sometimes too much so. There are times when my movement is a little hindered, especially when my head hits the back table, but i guess you gotta give something up if you want to keep your neck. Some people don't believe in neck braces, others do. All i know is that i know one guy who didn't wear one and now hes paralyzed, and a friend who wore one and it saved his life.