Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

When do you need a full face helmet?

106K views 204 replies 122 participants last post by  EatsDirt 
#1 ·
Hey,

I just started mountain biking and I went on my first ride on Sunday (July 31). I went with a few buddies and we traveled ~ 15 miles. It was a XCountry trail and it had some technical terrain. I borrowed a helmet from a friend and I'm in the market to purchase one but I'm not sure if a full face helmet is over kill or not. The helmets that I'm looking at are the Giro remedy or Giro Xar. I have never fallen.. but I only have a couple of hours clocked on the saddle:D

#2 ·
You can wear a full face helmet while doing cross country riding, but it might be a bit overkill, and you will look like a tool. Full face helmets can get pretty hot, and are heavier, so you have to consider fatigue as a big issue.

I would never wear my Remedy riding my local trails, even it there are some pretty technical sections. I did get to use it at Snowshoe this past weekend, and seen a few guys out there with cross country helmets. lol

#6 ·
... and you will look like a tool.
I completely disagree with this part. You'll look fine, don't worry about that.

There are two problems with it though. The first one is serious. You'll get over heated if you aren't moving fast enough. It gets really hot in a full face when the wind isn't moving through it. The second one isn't really so bad. Full face helmets are a little heavier, though I've personally never noticed the extra weight when I'm wearing mine.

#4 ·
Snowshoe was fun, and where there was dirt, it was perfect . Pretty rocky in a lot of areas though, but seemed to be that way more on the basin area. The western side has some nice long, flowing sections that were a lot of fun, but wore me out pretty quick.

Hope to go back sometime this month.

#5 ·
Not to sound like a jerk, but if you need to ask that question, perhaps you would feel more comfortable wearing a full face. OMJustice says you'll look like a tool, but who really cares? As long as you're out riding and having a good time, that's what really matters, right?
I only wear my full face for downhill/freeride stuff. But for hitting the local trails I use either my XC lid or my Fox skate style lid.
I have no experience with it myself, but look up the Met Parachute. It's basically an XC lid with a chin bar as well, so technically a full face....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...dium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-US

#8 ·
You need one when your face hits the ground. If you think that the risk of a face plant warrants a full face then by all means wear one, they are hot at low speeds, they weigh more and yes, you may look like a "tool" but it beats facial reconstruction surgery. You make the risk/reward assessment. My two cents.

#9 ·
I started wearing a full face this year with my new free ride bike, and i can say is i feel way more comfortable riding with it on. Hopefully never have to rely on it. But like everyone has already said who cares how you look as long as you are protected.

#12 ·
I currently ride with my dads old road bike helmet from ~20-30 years ago. I have considered a full face helmet, but it would just be too bulky to wear and would take some of the simplicity factor out of riding a bike. My next helmet purchase will be a skate style helmet. They have always felt more secure on my head, and when I used to skateboard a lot I always wore them.

#27 ·
Please be aware that helmet manufacturers suggest replacing a helmet every 3-5 years....
The EPS foam that lines the shell of the helmet starts to break down and offers less protection. Sometimes an old helmet is just as bad as wearing no helmet!

#13 ·
And as to the whole look thing, I agree that it doesn't really matter that much, but if I saw somebody wearing a full face helmet on my local trails I would definitely giggle as they passed.

Were you planning on wearing body armor as well? My shins take a regular beating, but my face has yet to take an impact.

#15 ·
Wear what makes you comfortable. I guess I wouldn't really consider the extra heat or weight of a full face helmet because I ride motocross and ATVs and am used to wearing a full face helmet.
I wear a XC lid on my mtn bike....but I'm at a beginner level. When I get to the point where I'm getting air on a regular basis I'll probably wear a full face lid.

The only "tools" around here are the guys that would judge you for wearing a full face helmet.
To hell with them, you're out riding enjoying your bike....they are at home calling you a tool on the computer. Nuf said.

#16 ·
Looks aren't important when considering form and function (heat and fatigue that I first mentioned), but you should consider bringing the right tool for the job. I've wiped out twice (walnuts and a sneaky tree stump) where I actually hit my face, and I didn't rip my jaw off, or need facial reconstruction; just a couple of scratches. I have been mtn bike riding for 27 of my 43 years, and never have seen one person tear up their face from a fall. Sure, it happens, but it would be a freak accident for cross country riding.

Tim-H, show me one pic of a cross country racer in a full face helmet, and not some local dude just cruising around. And if you are hitting some decent jumps, then that isn't what the OP was asking about, was it?

And Haligan78, you might want to learn how to read, no one's calling anyone a tool. It was said, but there was no name calling. Chill out.

In the end, wear what you feel comfortable with, and if I see you on our local trails all decked out in armor and a full face, I promise not to laugh (out loud) :)

#19 ·
Tim-H, show me one pic of a cross country racer in a full face helmet, and not some local dude just cruising around. And if you are hitting some decent jumps, then that isn't what the OP was asking about, was it?
Nah not racers, I missed that part. I don't think that's what the OP is talking about either though.

Everyone should have both types though if they ever do hit jumps. I still disagree with anyone looking like a tool though. Unless they're not wearing a helmet at all. ;)

#17 ·
Might want to consider the Specialized Deviant II as well. Well ventilated, its definately at the lightweight end of the full-face spectrum.

Lowest I could find mine was $150, so I think its a bit cheaper, but I haven't tried the Giro so I can't compare them directly.

Edit: I would say it depends on your definition of technical, but I rode purely XC for years, and went through a number of helmets and crashes while luckily never hitting my face.

#18 ·
chin protection

I'm asking myself the same question.

6 or 7 years ago I was riding with friends, the guy in front of me crashed head first into the ground: the wheel axle had snapped, yes weird, and he had no time to use his arms for protection, his face hit the ground in what must have been less than a second, I saw it in slow motion in disbelief, he was knocked out, badly injured, but recovered in 6 months, thank God or whomever he landed in mud rather than on the rock that was like 2 inches to the left of the impact spot. I stopped riding after that. The whole group disbanded for a few months, reformed but I never rejoined, until now, but my brain being rather forgetful I've started riding again, looking to buy a safe helmet...

it's very, very hot here, hard to decide...

#21 ·
buy one of those Giros. id recommend Fox Flux and 661 Recon as well.
when your skills improve and IF you decide to ride more technical and/or DH trails, then buy a full face. if you are only going to buy one helmet i think you will regret a full face.
if you see a lot of people on your trails wearing full face, then disregard the above as your trail is not a typical XC trail.

#22 ·
To comment again on people making fun of you, I wouldn't be too concerned about people in the parking lot, or even on the trails, but your friends. Maybe its just who I ride with, but if I showed up with a full face helmet I would get joked for about 5 minutes while we stretched, a couple times when I nearly fall, and then later that night when I am falling down from drinking beers.

but then again if i lost some weight and got to be faster then them I think the name calling would stop

#25 ·
I ended up with the Xar (got it off ebay for $93) because I plan to ride my bike to and from the gym... and I would look ridiculous with a full face helmet on the road. Since I just started mountain biking I'm not going to be flying down super fast.. not yet. In the future I think I will get a full face helmet if I think the trail requires one. Thanks for all the input guys!

#26 ·
one thing nobody mentioned was whether u are doing long flat-down-up xc trails where there is not a whole lot of elevation gain or loss at one time. compared to say 1k-2k vertical climb/hike where u can strap FF to backpack and then put it on at the top, drop the seat and get all that fun fast stuff under your belt.

i used to use my FF more often when i would be pushing it. then used it less, and less. and then ended up frenchkissing my stem and losing some teeth. i was lucky. 1 trip to dentist and all good. but then next week i went out and still not used the FF. but that just me.

#28 ·
I wear armour and FF for XC/All mountain. I have fallen several times, once smashing what would be my jaw on the floor, but luckily i was wearing a FF So not injuries :) - Wear what you feel comfortable with. I find it makes me go a lot faster especially for jumps and big drop offs. I don't really care whether i look like a tool, cause the fact is i'm going faster downhill and getting more air than the guys in spandex with shaved legs ..and quite frankly i'm having a hell of a lot more fun :D

#33 ·
I agree 100%, except I haven't fallen on my face (that I know of, at least, so I guess the FF is doing its job). I have the Giro Remedy and absolutely love it. I even wore it in an XC race one time, but I don't have any pics to prove it. The starter made a comment about it on the line, and I'm sure I got some looks, but I could care less. It's much lighter and more vented than the mx helmet I started with. MX is my background, though, so I feel naked wihout a full face. I say wear whatever helmet/gear makes you the most comfortable, and therefore the most willing to ride aggressive and have the most fun!

#31 ·
I wear an ff when I know i will be riding at warp speed through jumps, ledges and other tech features. That is a conscious decision and i wear armor too. If im going down xc style, my regular helmet will do.

There are a few trails where im from where i can take a fire road up, and do the jumps and single track going down. I go up without a helmet, then slip it on at the top. Our fire roads are like 18 feet wide. I take care not to go faster than a jogging pace without my helmet.

#34 ·
No idea, but I can say as soon as I got mine, I became fearless, and have attacked hills ever since. Sucks like hell on the uphill, and occasionally hang it on the handles, but if you're willing, get one! Worth the adreneline!

#37 ·
for XC even with some technical traits a full face is overkill. you better get a good All Mountain Helmet, Fox Flux, Giro Xen (although is overpriced in my opinion), 661 Reckon, POC Trabec (the most expensive helmet).

You want a full face when you are riding a bike with a 150mm or more supension, and you are attacking very fast, gnarly, technical terrain where anything can go wrong in a blink. O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.